Reload this Page >

Flying space available to Frankfurt or Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Bonnie

Our family of 6 (4 teenagers)will be flying space available to Europe this July. Currently considering Frankfurt and/or Rome. What would you recommend for accomodations with a party of six, what are the best locations to work into our iternary,and is it possible to see Frankfurt and Rome or is the distance to great to make for a pleasurable trip.

Old May 6th, 2000, 02:59 PM
Debbie

If you are really going to TRY and fly space available this summer with six-you better plan on Frankfurt. Rome should not be done this summer( because of the year 2000)unless you have firm reservations or you will spend ALOT of time sitting around the airport.To be very honest,I think that you will have a very difficult time flying anywhere in Europe from the USA because of the low airfares,people having more money,etc.Flying space available is VERY VERY difficult to do during high season(read summer and holidays) and with six people in the party,it will be a nightmare!I speak with much experience traveling with four. Good luck,Debbie

Old May 6th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Tricia

What does that mean, "flying space availabe" is that like Airhitch? do you save much money doing that?

Old May 6th, 2000, 03:44 PM
Debbie

It is another term for the word "STANDBY".You can go on the flight only if there is a vacant seat for you (after everyone else has boarded).Sometimes you go and many times you will not. You may not get a meal and you may not go at the time you wanted or you may have to go to a completely different city to get to the original one.ITS LOTSA FUN!!!Debbie

Old May 7th, 2000, 05:53 AM
merriem

Isn't that a perk if you work for an airline?

Old May 8th, 2000, 06:55 AM
mogilus

Shouldn't you say "will TRY to fly space-a?" Since all American carriers have undersized their planes (767 and 77 vs. 707), won't almost all flights in July be fully booked. Very "iffy" standing by for six empty seats to a major European city in July, isn't it?

Old May 8th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Debbie

I would definitely have a PLAN B and C!If you check the availability now on those flights that you were interested in,I think that you will find that most of them are already sold out.Always remember the rule of them for travel for open seats:GO SOME PLACE WARM IN THE SUMMER AND SOME PLACE COLD IN THE WINTER!Debbie