Reload this Page >

flying from Napoli to Aeolian islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Diana

how does this compare to the hydrofoil? I do not relish having to sleep in my seat on the ferry. On the other hand, how much more expensive is the air fare? Thanks!

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:32 AM
GAC

You can't fly from Naples to the Aeolian Islands, unless you're a bird. The FASTEST way to get there is by SNAV hydrofoil (June through September ONLY, except during inclement weather): 4 hours to Stomboli, a little longer to Panarea, Salina, Lipari and Vulcano. Cost for a reclining seat is 57 Euros to Stromboli, 65 to Panarea, 71 to Salina,and 75 to Lipari and Vulcano. No automobiles on the hydrofoil. Outside of the summer season, you have to take the slow overnight ferry (8 hours to Stromboli, 12.5 hours to Lipari), or take the train to Milazzo (6 hours) and then a hydrofoil (1 hour to Lipari).

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Diana

oops, my bad. I don't think I am a bird. So what was your experience like on the hydrofoil? Can you actually sleep there or is it just as uncofortable as a red-eye flight? Thank you!

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:15 PM
GAC

I will be taking the hydrofoil on June 1st from Lipari to Naples, so I can't really share experiences with you at this time. However, I can tell you that you are not likely to sleep on this relatively short trip (only 4 hours to Stromboli, all during daylight hours). You sit in a reclining seat and look out the large windows. Once you get past the Sorrento Peninsula and Capri, there is not much to see until you reach Stromboli. There is apt to be a lot of movement (take Dramamine with you) and some noise as well, as the boat travels fast over the water. There should be a small bar area selling coffee, beverages and snacks (for people who don't suffer motion sickness). The short (10-30 minutes) island-hopping from Stromboli to Panarea to Salina to Lipari to Vulcano provides an excellent opportunity to have a tour of the islands without making a special trip. Seat reservations are recommended from mid-July through the end of August.

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Diana

that's helpful and puts me at ease. I would hate to spend a sleepless night and be too tired the next day to enjoy Lipari. 4 hours during the day, no problem!

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:28 PM
GAC

fyi, beginning on June 29th, there will be TWO daily hydrofoils from Naples Mergellina to the Aeolian Islands: an 8:30 a.m. departure (arriving Lipari at 13:25), and (starting on June 1st), a 14:30 departure (arriving Lipari at 20:30, this route takes a longer circuit). Both reach Stromboli in 4 hours. Fares are the same for both.