Flying and heart (?) problems

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been diagnosed with a PFO, which means I have a small hole between the upper chambers of my heart. It's supposed to be treatable with aspirin therapy, but my main concern is I'm planning on flying from the U.S. East Coast in May to the U.K. and wondered if this is going to be a problem? I've been reading that I should get up and walk around the plane (guess that means no window seat - darn!), but does anyone else on the forum have this condition and have suggestions? I also will be discussing this with my cardiologist, of course, but sometimes you get better advise from people who have "been there, done that." Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM

You should only seek medical advice for a licensed practitioner like your cardiologist. How can you even think of comparing comments made by strangers on a website with your own doctor?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
ira

I agree.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I see you missed the part where I said I'd be discussing this with my cardiologist....

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:37 AM

I agree ...only listen to your doc.

Getting medical advice from a travel forum could prove deadly.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM

No, I didn't miss that part. My point is: How can you compare or even consider the advice of complete non-professional strangers with that of your cardiologist? What if the Fodor's posters disagree with your cardiologist?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Well, pardon me, but I guess I thought that in addition to my physician's advice, I also might have someone who has a PFO say that certain things they do (no salt, support hose, whatever) might come in handy for me.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

< I also will be discussing this with my cardiologist, of course, but sometimes you get better advise from people who have "been there, done that.>

What do you mean by "better advice"?. Would you take advice from a travel forum member over that of a medical professional that is familar with your medical history? I hope not.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Gee, how silly of us to think that a cardiologist is an expert on heart conditions and just might offer the best advice.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM

If you want a second opinion or further help why not go to your doctor and ask him if there are any help groups associated with your complaint.

Most posters here will give you an honest answer, but like everyone we occaisonally get things wrong.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM

You are all missing the point here! I don't know anything about heart problems, but can give a comparable example of flying while pregnant:

I would ask my care provider's opinions on what is safe to do while flying while pregnant, what precautions I need to take, how long a flight is safe, how late can I fly, etc. And I would believe them over anything any stranger on the internet told me, or I would do further research if I doubted the medical professional in any way.

But, my doctor is not as likely to tell me that lemon drops might help any flight-induced nausea since I can't use dramamine, or that I should be sure to take a certain type of pillow because it greatly eases back pain, or to wear loose-fitting shoes because of swelling, etc. But I might post somewhere asking those who have "been there, done that" for their advice on flying while pregnant. It's not medical advice, it's comfort and practicality advice.

Perhaps if everyone would lay off of Twina49, some useful advice could be had that would make his/her flight a more comfortable experience. I'm sure if the advice conflicts with medical advice, that won't be an issue, because Twina49 likely has a brain in his/her head and can evaluate the situation and determine the right choice.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I'm even going to add that since most people are posting anonymously, isn't there a danger of malicious mis-information?

It's one thing if you ask advice on different ways to overcome jet lag, but any kind of a heart condition.....
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you jlm_mi! I appreciate it that somebody got the point of my post.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Maybe Twina49 is really asking us for some first-hand reassurance that it is possible to fly safely with this condition.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Wow! Bet twina49 is sorry he/she posted. My take is that the cardiologist comes first and his/her inquiry is simply a few words from someone with the same affliction who has flown abroad. What's the problem?

My husband had an angioplasty years ago. When our nephew suddenly needed the same procedure, my husband went through his experience with him before the procedure was done. When we visited him following his angioplasty he was most grateful to my husband, as much of what he had told him was exactly what he experienced and it lessened the anxiety and scariness considerably.

I'm confident this is the sort of advice twina49 is seeking. Too bad instead it ended up with the responses he/she got.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:11 AM
cmt

Sorry, I can't help. Fortunately for me, I have no heart irregularities, so I have no relevant personal experiences to share. But, since it is clear that you are seeking your cardiologist's advice, I don't see anything wrong with your having asked for support and anecdotal info from forum participants who may have a similar condition. Lots of people here do that, sharing experiences and suggestions re dealing with everything from diabetes and food allergies while eating out, to getting around when their ability to walk is impaired, to conquering pathological phobias when flying. So why shouldn't you. When you mentioned the possiblity of getting "better advise," I didn't think you really meant you were seeking better medical advice from strangers on a travel forum. I note that this is what you asked: <<...but does anyone else on the forum have this condition and have suggestions? I also will be discussing this with my cardiologist, of course....>> So I hope your post will get you either help or, second best thing--silence.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Not to sit in judgement of the posters on this board - but the massive amount of mistaken "medical" information floating about is truly shocking.

Many supposedly intelligent people become confused abut their own disease (understanding exactly what it is - what it's called when many diseases/symptoms/syndromes sound alike) and their MD's advice. (A recent exit survey among patients as to the advice just given by their MD showed that more than 1/3 got at least part of what had just been said wrong - sometimes dangerously wrong).

And things that seem innocuous - like grapefruit juice- can in fact be very dangerous under many circumstances.

And how do you know that what they have is exactly the same thing you do? And how do you know if their MD has specific reasons for what he recos for them - due to concomitant disease, specific therapeutic choices etc. - that are different from your case?

This is not like discussing seasickness - and taking any "advice" from anyone - can be dangerous - and is in fact simply ridiculous.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:26 AM

I suffered with debilitating pain in my lower abdomen for about 15 years. My GP ordered a lower GI series. Negative. He sent me to a GE, who ordered a colonoscopy and CT scan. Negative. Nobody could figure out what the problem was.

I postponed an appointment with my barber. She asked what the problem was and I described my odyssey. She said, "I had that. Sounds like you've got kidney stones."

She was right
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Oh for God's sake...why are some people dumping on this poster? He didn't ask anyone to perform surgery or adjust his meds.

Twin, I get the the gist of your question and sorry I can't offer suggestions but I would like to share something...

A few years ago I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem. Now my doc is great but not having the affliction himself, his practical advice was lacking. So I consulted (oh the horror!) a web chat room with other sufferers.

People who have been there done that can offer practical tips and suggestions that can greatly improve quality of life.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Hang in there Twina; someone will answer you who shares similar problems. Someone will realize that first and foremost you'll deal with your cardiologist's recommendation.
And that you were just wonderin'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -