Fly or train from London?

Nov 16th, 1998, 02:33 PM
Shawn

Fly or train from London?

My wife and I are planning a short trip to the UK and wanted to see Dublin or Paris too. I understand flights to either city are often more efficient than train or ferry, but we love to travel by train. We were thinking Paris via the EuroStar and Dublin via Holyhead, Wales. Any thoughts or advice? I'd appreciate any info on how scenic they are.

Nov 16th, 1998, 04:44 PM
Dee

Shawn,
Took the Eurostar from London to Paris and it was most enjoyable. Easier to maneuver for us than the hastle of the airport and another plane. It is very convenient and enjoyed the scenery we would have missed by plane. See #1 above for more information regarding the chunnel. We were in London and Paris and most enjoyed our time in Paris. Wonderful relaxed atmosphere compared to London and if you are an art lover, you don't want to miss Paris. The food was wonderful in every restaurant--we usually ate in the 6th arron. near our hotel.

Nov 16th, 1998, 07:26 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Shawn: I too endorse the Eurostar for the Lonon-Paris part of your trip--but you don't want to cross the Irish Sea by ship at this time of year. Aer Lingus has many convenient flights (I recommend flying into Cork and renting a car there so that you can see the spectacular scenery of the West.) Good trip. Joan

Nov 17th, 1998, 07:12 AM
Nigel Doran

Hello
I would definitely take the train over the plane to London. Eurostar runs the passenger service, which does not take cars. Eurotunnel does take passengers in cars only, but goes from the French coast.
Booking ahead makes the ticket cheaper, certainly much cheaper than simply turning up on the day of travel. I would consult their website for information.
As for flying to Dublin, there are loads of airlines doing this route from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted etc. Ryanair is a cheaper airline, but sometimes B Airways and Aer Lingus also have good deals. Once again, scour the net for details. For a guide, if you book ahead here you can get returns to Dublin from London from around 50-70 with tax depending, of course, on time and date of travel.
If you wanted to take the train, you can take the Virgin Train from London Euston to Holyhead, but the weather could be bad and Virgin Trains are not that reliable, unfortunately.

Nov 17th, 1998, 07:14 AM
Nigel Doran

Hello
I would definitely take the train over the plane to London. Eurostar runs the passenger service, which does not take cars. Eurotunnel does take passengers in cars only, but goes from the French coast.
Booking ahead makes the ticket cheaper, certainly much cheaper than simply turning up on the day of travel. I would consult their website for information.
As for flying to Dublin, there are loads of airlines doing this route from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted etc. Ryanair is a cheaper airline, but sometimes B Airways and Aer Lingus also have good deals. Once again, scour the net for details. For a guide, if you book ahead here you can get returns to Dublin from London from around 50-70 with tax depending, of course, on time and date of travel. Trailfinders, Travel Bag, Travel Bug, or any other consolidator in the travel sections of the main U K papers will help you, or of course there are those sites offering cheap deals worldwide.
If you wanted to take the train, you can take the Virgin Train from London Euston to Holyhead, but the weather could be bad and Virgin Trains are not that reliable, unfortunately. Virgin has a website.

Nov 25th, 1998, 06:11 AM
Jill

Shawn - Believe it or not, we found British Airways to be less expensive than the Eurostar from London to Paris. We paid $148.00 r/t - the flight is 1 hour - the Eurostar is 3 hours - we were very pressed for time. It was also a very easy check in process from London Victoria Station - you can check your baggage right there, before going to the airport. We just returned on 11/24 and had a wonderful time! Good Luck!

Nov 25th, 1998, 10:27 AM
erin

Round trip flying London-Paris can be cheaper and quicker than the Eurostar. But I like that the Europstar takes you from the heart of one city to the next. You don't have to worry about commuting from suburban airports. In both cities, you get off the Eurostar and you are a quick metro/tube ride to attractions and museums.

Nov 25th, 1998, 04:24 PM
Marcia

Eurostar is great because, as Erin says, it is virtually "portal to portal". We really liked that. We also discovered tremendous variation in ticket pricing - its the same confusing hodgepodge as the airlines! Search for Eurostar postings on this forum and you'll find a bunch of discussions from August/Sept. I think.
But it was great. If time was of the essence, I would do it again in a flash. Although, I have to say, the train connections now from London to the airport are good - and from Orly and R/CDG to Paris are as good or better. But it would seem to me to take mroe time, esp. as check=in for Eurostar is only 20 minutes in advance. On Eurostar, save a pound or a franc, and get the lowest class of ticket. On all the other tickets you are paying for amenities which while nice, aren't worth the considerable markup. It's not that long a trip, and the basic accomodations are new and clean and comfortable.