Fly or ferry to Santorini from Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly or ferry to Santorini from Athens

Hi
A few questions
Myself and hubby are travelling Europe for 6 weeks next year, we will land in Athens and from there to Santorini. We have booked accommodation in at The Piraeus Port hotel(free cancellation) because we thought we would take a ferry but it appears cheaper and quicker to fly, so should we take that option and book closer to the airport or is the ferry experience not to miss? If we take a flight, how early before that flight do we have to be at the airport. Also, if we fly in will there be less stairs to tackle as oppose to getting a ferry in, we are trying to get our head around what Santorini is like, we are staying at The Chromata, Imeroviglia.
We will only be in Athens for two nights so only one full day which depending on how we feel after our flight may just stroll around the area, is there much to see near airport or more so in Piraeus or not much with either.
Is there anything of interest on that one free day in Athens to see that's not a full day, that we could perhaps see or do at our own leisure, we are happy just to stroll around or hang by the hotel otherwise.

Thank you.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 06:23 PM

We took the ferry from Naxos to Pireaus which goes through Santorini and found it very easy - you basically walk on board, drop off your luggage and climb the stairs to the main deck (there may be an elevator - I don't know). We flew from Athens to Crete earlier and got to the airport 2 hours ahead of time which was actually a bit much - ended up cooling our heals for a while, but better safe than sorry.

We enjoyed the ferry experience a lot, but of course it is several hours longer (on the other hand you can move around all you like, and you don't have to deal with security and all that jazz.) I'm sure either will be relatively easy.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 06:25 PM

and re what to do in Athens - if you like history/museums there are six or so of them all on the same block (war museum, the cycladic art, Byzantine museum (with a great restaurant for lunch) and several others - very close to Symtagna Square.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
How long are you devoting to Greece? That could make a difference between flying & taking the time for a ferry (which I prefer, depending on the overall itinerary).
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

4 nights in Santorini then flying to Rome.

lauramsgarden, on the same block in Pireaus?
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

MmePerdu, 4 nights in Santorini then flying to Rome.

lauramsgarden, on the same block in Pireaus?
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 07:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the ferry.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM

All the museums mentioned are in ATHENS. Pireaus is just a transportation hub and so is the airport.

There is something missing here. If your are in Europe 6 weeks, and there seems to be little interest in Athens, if this is during the high season, you can fly directly into Santorini from various Europeans cities bypassing Athens altogether.

The flight to Rome, JTR-ATH-FCO? If you are planning to buy this route as one ticket, you are ok. If you are planning to buy them as two tickets, you need enough buffer in between to make the connection on your own. You might want to stay overnight as a buffer and visit Athens.

Stairs difference between flying in and ferry? I am not sure what you want to know. The ferry dock to Imerovigli is so far away you need a transfer, bus, taxi, or a car. So once you are on the land, the stairs are same thing between flying and ferry. Inside the ferry, you leave the largest luggage at the car level you don't want to haul up to the passenger levels above. Large ferries have escalators and elevators if they are working.

Santorini is a vertical destination. Most places of interest hug cliffs involving stairs, with some more than the others.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:07 PM

Nothing beats the romance of arriving by boat, especially Santorini with it's unique landscape.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

greg Athens is our first stop from Australia, where we start our 6 week trip. So Athens, Santorini then on to Rome, direct flights with Vueling i think it is, flying early May, shoulder season.
Thanks for the info on Santorini, it was very helpful.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:12 PM

If you take a ferry to Santorini you will waste your first day in Greece. Take a flight and you will have an extra day for Santorini or Athens. Why not book a connecting flight direct to Santorini? You won't even have to leave Athens Airport, and flights take only about 40 minutes gate to gate. As long as you have at least two hours layover time between flights you will be fine, since Athens Airport is small and efficient.

The best ferry, Blue Star, takes nearly 8 hours from Piraeus to Santorini, and you will have to wait until the next morning to use it. If you really want to go by ferry, book Blue Star and buy an air seat or business class ticket, which is cheaper than the flight.

The high speed ferries often run behind schedule, so don't always get there as soon as advertised. Hellenic Seaways highspeeds are more reliable than Sea Jets. The smaller passenger-only Sea Jets (Superjet and SeaJet 2) are full with seasick passengers when seas are rough, and I would not wish that on my worst enemy!

Best thing to do is take a taxi from the airport to your hotel in Imeroviglia. If you arrive by ferry do the same. There are buses from the ferry port to Fira, the island's capital, but then you have to transfer to another bus to Imeroviglia. There will be no stairs to climb at the airport or ferry port.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:21 PM

<i>Nothing beats the romance of arriving by boat, especially Santorini with it's unique landscape.</i>

Not if you are stuck inside the cramped cabin of a highspeed catamaran with seats not even near a window. With Blue Star you can stand on the outside deck to take in the views. The last 2-3 hours of the 8 hour sailing are interesting, especially as the ferry enters to Santorini caldera.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

dreamon...you've sold me!
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall...thanks for the info, i am going to check out Blue Star
Connecting flight sounds good, although we would prefer an over night stay after teavelling 20 plus hours from Australia, Santorini is one of our hilightes of our 6 weeks so want to be refreshed, i am now thinking just one night in Athens perhaps?
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:44 AM

Hi juleslove, I have been going to Greece for many years, and agree that ferries are lots of fun, especially the slower conventional ones. Over the years I have used all types of ferries, and consider Blue Star by far the best. Check out the panorama for BS Delos on the Blue Star website: http://bluestarferries.gr/en/about-u...panoramas.html

Regarding the long flight from Australia, I know what you mean, as I have taken those flights myself a few times. Last trip I flew from London to Brisbane (via Singapore), and took a connecting flight from there to Cairns. I'm very glad I did rather than overnighting in Brisbane, as I was able to delag in a beautiful seaside hotel in Palm Cove rather than the city. Same thing applies to Greece, which is why I suggested the connecting flight.

Since you are flying direct from Santorini to Rome (I didn't know that when I wrote my first reply) you will have to take your night in Athens at the beginning, but most ferries to Santorini leave Piraeus first thing in the morning, so that wouldn't leave you any time for sightseeing the next day. In that case I would recommend staying overnight in central Athens and taking a late afternoon flight to Santorini.

Hotels in Piraeus are a mixed bag, and those near the docks cater to seafarers. I don't have a recommendation, but Piraeus Dream seems to get good reviews.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 01:27 AM

I just found this YouTube video of a trip from Piraeus to Santorini on one of the small Sea Jets. It's an amateur video, but if you've already looked at the Blue Star panorama it will show you the difference. Listen to the comments at the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fqwSbEbGK4
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

HibHeimdall
Thank you, I see the difference between Blue Star and the sea jets, now I am concerned that the ferries don't appear to travel everyday, only a couple of times a week, if that's the case, looks like we will have to fly?
If we only end up spending one night in Athens, that will mean no free day, I am fine with that, but we want to get to Santorini as soon as possible, if I take a late afternoon flight, we would be missing some time in Santorini I think.
I am booked from the 2nd til the 6th in Santorini. We originally were going to fly into Athens on the 30th, spend 2 nights, meaning one free day for maybe or maybe not do some sightseeing, and travel to Santorini on the 2nd or that may now change so that we fly in to Athens on the 1st May, spend 1 night then to Santorini the next morning
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 05:17 AM

Blue Star runs 7 day/week 12 months of the year. It leaves Piraeus for Santorini every day at 0725, and has for as long as I can remember. Blue Star is the year-round link for islanders who need supplies and transportation even in winter.

Highspeed ferries are seasonal and don't run at all from November until spring at Greek Easter (April 16th in 2017). Early May is just the start of the season for highspeeds, and it is likely that Sea Jets will be using their small passenger-only catamarans then, not necessarily every day. Any Sea Jets timetables you see now for next season are unreliable and subject to change.

I understand your dilemma. Santorini is beautiful, and everyone should see it at least once in their lifetime if they can. Personally three days is enough for me on Santorini, while others can stay for weeks and not get enough.

Same with Athens—if you rush your visit and see only the Acropolis and a few other sights you will probably not be very impressed. For your very short visit to Athens recommend one of the tours offered by http://www.athens-walks.com . Kostas Chatzivasiliou, the owner, is a former Evzone (presidential guard), and employs local Athenians for guides.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were all hoarded down below, inside in the ferry as we approached Santorini, so no views at all. A mobscene instead so don't coint on betting a view. I would fly both ways, much easier.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 07:49 AM

I would not stay in Pireaus. You'll have much better hotels near the Acropolis and you can easily visit the tourist sights and have better restaurant choices. Don't miss the Acropolis Museum and all the Benaki museums are outstanding.
I have used athenswalkingtours.com for food tours and have enjoyed them.
I would not spend hours on a ferry to get to Santorini when you can be there in an hour. With island flights, you don't need a full two hours in the airport either. I just took a 6 hour ferry ride from Rhodes to Patmos (each way). The ferry was nice but it gets old after a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -