Florence/Venice/Rome/Amsterdam/London HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to post this before, I hope it works this time. It's lengthy but hope you all can help me make my trip enjoyable. I just came across this web site and have found it VERY informative, you all seem to be very helpful. I figured I make my own posting to gather information on one location but I will continue to explore this site for information.

I will be visiting Italy, 4.5 days/4 nights in Florence, 2 days/2 nights in Venice (weekend), 2.5 days/2 nights Rome the off to Amsterdam for 4 days/4 nights and finally to London 3 day 4 nights the a flight home exhausted but happy. With your help, I know it will be exciting and enjoyable. This is my first time to Europe and trying to make the most of it. I'll be visiting a friend in Florence for work so I'll be "doing" Florence alone, Venice with my friend, Rome alone. Amsterdam and London together and then flying home.

I have places to stay already, apartments, hotels and even a B&B. So, what I'm looking for is your help in finding out what I must see and things I can skip, things I need to make reservations for to speed my time and get to see the most.

Please fell free to email me or post here so everyone can learn for your experiences. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for the information I'll already learned on here. After my trip, starting 7th of February I'm post my experiences for other to learn from.

Thanks again, Jim
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Jim, It would help if you indicated your interests and probably your age since that might influence the answers. Be sure to look up those destinations above for the usual tourist info.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's hard to advise others because planning daily itineraries is a matter of personal preference.

For my own trips to Europe, I don't plan any more than you already have. Just plane ticket and hotel reservations.

Then I read local entertainment guides, or perhaps carry a guidebook along, ask people I meet along the way, like that. For instance, I spent a wonderful 5 days solo in Amsterdam but didn't do anything I always see recommended for the city. Same for Venice.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM

You 'must see' what appeals to <i>you</i>. If you have no idea, then at least start looking these places up.

Use this very website, under &quot;Destinations&quot;, for touristic sights.

Use Google.com:
enter &quot;top ten&quot; city
(replace city with Florence or Rome...)
and you'll get plenty of information.

Also, look under 'Plan Your Trip' on this site:
www.ricksteves.com
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM

go to the restinations section of the this website and check out the suggested itineraries to get started.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM

that should say destinations not restinations.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I guess age and likes would be helpful.
43yo here. Very open to most things museums, architecture, parks and gardens. Sports, theater, good food. Not really in to drinking but not agains it and I figure Italy I'll have to drink some local wines.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Please do not post to this thread. It has been moved (with spaces in the title) to here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34931526