Naples - Late January

Search

Naples - Late January

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples - Late January

My husband and I plan to travel to Naples in late January. We would expect to spend some time in Naples as well as take some trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum, possibly Vesuvius. I would welcome recommendations for the following:

Hotel - Must have WiFi, nice, comfortable rooms and in a location that is easily accessible to restaurants and other sites

Restaurant recommendations - for dinners in particular

Tour guide for Pompeii, etc.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

And any other suggestions you have for our trip - thanks!
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:11 PM

A budget in euro per night would be helpful.

Hotel Piazza Bellini seems to be overwhelmingly recommended but it is expensive. If you can afford it - it's a great location.

If it's too expensive, then Hotel Toledo in the Spanish Quarter is great value.

The B&B Il Campinile is in a perfect location and has lots of local flavour.

Down on the Lungomare (waterfront) if you have a big budget, Hotel Excelsior has hosted presidents, celebrities and royalty.

A cheaper alternative on the Lungomare is the Hotel Rex. Comfortable and basic.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:12 PM

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_..._Campania.html

Link for Il Campanile - do some TA searching for the others and read the reviews - see if they suit you.
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:25 PM

I have been in Naples every year from 1987 to 2010, but I've never stayed in a hotel. However, from many observations, it looked like the Mediterraneo was a good hotel. It looked very inviting from outside, and I was told that the rates were reasonable.
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:10 PM
jft

We are in Naples at the moment and are staying in a new b&b called Factory Design a couple of blocks from Toledo Metro. Clean, new, lovely owners, great location and very reasonable. We are a family of 6 and have 3 rooms including the suite room which is still very inexpensive. Worth checking out. Love Naples!
Old May 13th, 2016, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

I think I have narrowed the hotel down to the following four (keep in mind my husband will need decent WiFi/business services), but am unsure which location would be the best:

Grand Hotel Vesuvio
Grand Hotel Santa Lucia
Hotel Piazza Bellini
Renaissance Mediterraneo (honestly least interested in this, as it is another Marriott and, I am guessing, lacking in local charm)

The fact that we are traveling late January makes these otherwise ridiculously expensive hotels more affordable.

Two of these are on the waterfront
Piazza Bellini in the thick of things and very close to the Archaeological Museum, restaurants, other sites

Thoughts? Thank you!
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:34 PM

The first two are side by side on the Lungomare. Flip a coin. I would check their wifi as the luxury hotels tend to charge. The Excelsior charges per 24 hours for wifi - I find this very unreasonable when the majority of hotels have free wifi and high speeds.

The location doesn't really matter. If you stay on the Lungomare (waterfront) you can easily walk to the historic centre or take the metro from Toledo two stops to Museo for the NAM for example, or one stop to Dante for the Historic Centre.

I would probably choose the waterfront - get a room with a view as that bay is a sight to behold.