Florence train stations

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Florence train stations

I can't seem to find a map that shows me the locations of the train stations in Florence. I found one for the Firenze SMN but I can't find one of the Campo Di station. The reason I'm asking is we will come into Florence on the SMN location but leave on the Campo Di station location.
Help!
Thanks,BB
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM

campo di Marte station is about 1.5 miles asst of the town centre, on the avoiding Florence train line that runs around Florence. Some trains only stop here and at Florence-Rifredi station, similarly about two miles north of Florence on the mainline. Some of these trains thus do not have to go into the deadend SMN train terminus and back out, saving time.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

PalQ,
So, if we drop off our car at the downtown car rental station at 53-55R Via Borgognissanti, we will have to get a taxi out to the Campo di station, correct? For some reason, when I booked our raileurope tickets, they couldn't get me into SMN at the time I needed to go there...Will this be a problem?
Thanks,BB
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Local trains leave from S.M.N. for Campo di Marte several times an hour, take 6 minutes, and cost Euros 1.10.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM

We crossed messages - yes, a taxi will be more expedient than going to SMN for the regional train if you have all your stuff with you when you drop off the car. It's not far.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Do you know about how much it will cost for a taxi? I've been told to know ahead of time so I don't get ripped off.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I haven't heard anything about Florence drivers ripping people off, but anything can happen, of course. I would guess fifteen Euros give or take a few, depending on how many of you and how much luggage and what time of day or night.

A word to the wise: Central Florence is practically all one-way streets and no-drive streets - a cabbie has to make some very circuitous turns and dodges just to get from A to B. Don't immediately think you're being had if he turns a lot - it's that kind of town as you'll see when you walk around.

In your case the driver will most certainly have to make a substantial detour because he can't drive as the crow flies, past the Duomo and all that. So he'll probably have to head west on Via Prato, right going northeast on Rosselli to Strozzi and Lavagnini, southeast on Matteotti and Gramsci to make a sharp turn back up into Mazzini (because he can't turn into the one-way street Segni)... map it out and see for yourselves.

Still, it won't take too long - ten to twenty minutes max. depending on traffic etc.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

WallyKringen,
Since you have so much knowledge of Florence, which I totally appreciate, can you answer another question? Friends who came back from Florence said it is tricky getting out of Florence in the car. I'm assuming it will be tricky getting back in also when we return from Tuscany.....
Can you tell me where to get really good directions for getting out of Florence by car (we need to get to the Roma A1) and back into Florence by car? Our car rental location is 53-55R Via Borgognissanti.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Getting out is easy--getting back is another story because of one way streets. I would drop at the airport or some other location besides Florence.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Your hotel or apartment owner can give you the best directions for getting in and out of the city. You may want to try mappy.com and viamichelin.com for directions. Coming in, signage can help a good deal.

I too have spent a good deal of time in Florence and I have not heard of dishonest taxi drivers. I have used taxis there and have not been cheated. As said, anything can happen, but you aren't likely to be ripped off by a taxi driver in Florence.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Could you tell me if rental cars can be dropped of at the Campo di Marti train station? We are planning on touring Tuscany and taking the train to Rome. Is there a better location for the drop off assuming we are staying in Florence for a couple of days. Thankyou Jim
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

sabbin,
Your trip sounds like ours. We are doing the same thing. Right now we are picking up our car near our hotel in Florence, and driving out of the city into Tuscany areas. Then when we come back we have to drop the car off at the same location, but we are leaving on the train at Campo di Marte station. So that means we have to not only drive into Florence, which I'm being told is awful, but we will have to then take a taxi to the train station. So, I think I am going to change my car rental pickup and drop off location to a place closer to Campo di Marte. I think that makes more sense. I'd rather take the taxi to the Hotel when I'm not rushed instead of worrying about getting the car back to the rental location and catching the train to Rome. You might want to consider doing the same thing.