Florence to Assisi..need help with logistics

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 3 days, nights for area from Florence to Assisi and back to Florence. I want to see and stay in the most beautiful places, San Gim, Chianti, got to see church at Montepulicano. Need help with where to stay to do all this. Thought about outside Siena all 3 nights but don't think we can do all the way (124 miles by Fodors map) to Assisi, leaving plenty of touring time there, and back to Siena for night. I'm on planning overload looking at maps and accommodations. Might be our only trip. My last post was a request for most beautiful places in Tuscany which got fabulous photos from Bob the Navigator. All responses were for his fab photos so I'm posting again.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Like many posts, everyone wants to see everything in one shot. If I were you I would stay in Spello, do day trips from there and see what you can see without rushing.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Stay over near Sinalunga or Montepulciano for access both directions. Assisi will be the only long drive. Here are some options:

www.lacosta.it
www.amorosa.it
www.residenzaarte.com
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Where is Spello? Any suggestions for accommodations?
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Bob, any other way to spell residenzaarte? Love the 2 first sites and am looking for the 3rd.
How and where do you find these great places on the web?
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Hmmm ! My fault---add a d before arte.
I am a trip planner--this is my hobby and business. It is a new place and looks very nice. I have stayed at the others. Do not overlook this one, but closer to Pienza. www.letraverse.it The others are closer to Umbria.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Spello is very close to Perugia and is in a good spot vis-a-vis the highway system so although it is small and inviting it is very convenient to other Umbrian towns. I have only stayed in one hotel there, Palazzo Bocci but I would recommend it without hesitation.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I second buongiorno's recommendations of both Spello and Palazzo Bocci. A beautiful little town with some great restaurants, and a very nice, friendly, reasonable hotel.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Spello is great for Umbria, but do you not want to see San Gim. and Siena and Chianti and Montepulciano--Spello is too far for that.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

We are plannig our trip around the accommodations we could get in the 2 major cities we wanted to see. So what we were able to get was Pensione Acadamia in Venice first 2 nights of a 2 week trip. Then we hope to go by afternoon train to Padua to see the Scorvegni Chapel. I would like to train then to Cinque Terre for a day or 2 then pick up car for south of Florence leg of our trip. That leaves us 3 days before we have reservations in Florence. We want to see the gorgeous scenery in Tuscany and have a special desire to see Assisi, plus San Biogio in Montepulciano. Should I leave of CT? I have 7 nights after I leave Venice and before I have to be in Florence. I can't leave off Florence but I could cut a day off and do what we can in 3 nights. We want to enjoy the trip more than we want to cram in too much. I am relying on this forum b/c you all know what you are doing. I've never planned a trip online but I sure do like this forum and the great responses from people who have been where I want to go. Haven't reserved car yet or accommodations out side Venice and Florence but I have looked at many website. So, leave off CT? don't want to...help..also need accommodations for Padua and CT if we go there. Thanks...looking forward to your responses.