Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence Timeout /Entertainment Periodical

Oct 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know of an English version Time-out type of periodical for entertainment/cutural events in Florence?

I can muddle through the Italian in newspapers but English would be so nice. ; )

kakalena
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:18 AM

Are you sure that TimeOut does not publish a weekly guide to Florence in English? I just saw an English TimeOut magazine in Istanbul.
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy

I have seen a Timeout Guidebook in English for Florence at Barnes and Noble but it was a one-off kind of thing, basically a tourbook.

I'd love to find a periodical or daily newspaper for ex-pats at an international newsstand when I get to Florence. I have found an English website but it links back to a lot of Italian sites and I don't know if I'll have much internet access when I get to Italy.

Thanks!
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:45 AM

I swear that something in the newspaper exists, but memory fails me. I believe I've read about this in the front of guidebooks; you know, the section that gives all the general tips. Try Fodor's, of course.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM

Yes, I know about the guidebooks but they also publish weekly guides in English for certain cities. Maybe you could try their web site to see if there is a weekly guide to Florence. I think they do weekly updates on the website as well.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:22 AM

I looked at the website and see only mention of the TO regular travel guide to Florence. But I would bet that there will be at least one, if not more, weekly guides in English on the newsstand in the city. Sorry I could not help.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:45 AM

My post wasn't clear. TimeOut does NOT publish a weekly for Florence.

In referring to guidebooks, I meant that some of the major guidebooks have the information about the weekly newspaper insert that lists that week's events. I wish I could tell you which newspaper and which day, but I can't. Some guidebooks can.

There is also a Florence for Visitors magazine to be found in the better hotels. You could ask you hotel if they have it. An email would probably suffice. This magazine is in English, but I think it is a monthly and not a weekly. Copies can also be had at the tourist offices.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:46 AM

At any newstand in Florence you can buy Firenze Spettacoli. It has information in italian and english about what's happening in Florence that month - from where to eat and concerts to opening hours in museums and gardens. Hope this helps!
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Yay! Thanks lovesitalia, scrunchy and tuscanlifedit! Oh joy!

Will look for the Spettacoli and the mag.

kakalena