Reload this Page >

FLORENCE RESTAURANTS

Search

FLORENCE RESTAURANTS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:27 PM
aviva

FLORENCE RESTAURANTS

WE ARE GOING TO BE SPENDING ONE WEEK IN AND ABOUT FLORENCE. DOES ANYONE HAVE A FAVORITE IN FLORENCE OR IN ANY OF THE NEARBY TOWNS? WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR ELEGANCE BUT RATHER RELAXED ATMOSPHERE WITH GOOD FOOD AND WINE, THE KIND OF PLACE WHERE THE "LOCALS" EAT.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 05:07 PM
jan

We just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. We spent a couple of nights in Florence and certainly enjoyed a great meal with a lot of locals at Beccofino 055290076 phone, we also ate at Trattoria Cammillo, Cibreo. I have fax # for all restaurants if you are interested. We got just back Mon night and I still have all of my notes packed but I will be getting them out soon. Have a great time. jwg

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:36 PM
Heather

Aviva, hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your message, but I'm heading to Florence for a week ... <BR> <BR>Jan, when you settle in, would you consider doing a post? I would love to hear about your trip. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 08:34 PM
Louise

Two of my favorites are Buca dell'Orafo on Volta de Giralami (near the Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi) and Ciangale Bianco on the opposite side of the river on B. San Jacopo (also near Ponte Vechio). As with many Italian restaurants, they are family owned and run, so the service is very friendly. Needless to say, the food is very good! Buca's cooking is more on the light side than Ciangale, but I like them both. You will find lots of local people at both. Prices are in the "moderate" range.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 08:53 PM
Eli

The gentlemen who own Hotel Pendini were kind enough to include tourist information in their web site. There's a list of recommended restaurants at http://www.tiac.net/users/pendini/dining.html Out of those, I tried (and would vouch for) Za-Za, Latini, and Yellow Bar. All 3 are worth a re-visit...

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 05:17 AM
elaine

We had a great dinner at Pallotino. It also just happens to be next door to Vivoli the gelato mecca, so that's where we had gelato for dessert. <BR>For another dinner in Florence our hotel recommended a nearby place called Acqua Cotta which was only 2 blocks away from our hotel in the Santa Croce area. The food was excellent.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 05:51 AM
marija

I highly recommend Cafe Cibreo. We had an excellent lunch there recently. It shares a kitchen with Cibreo but has a limited menu. Closed Sunday and Monday, I believe. Don't miss it.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Marty Michaels

Another vote for Beccofino! We were in Florence over New Year's and had an incredible experience there on New Year's Eve. It was a special (and very expensive, but well worth it) menu. We had eaten the night before at its sister restaurant, Baldovino, on the Piazza Santa Croce (Via Giuseppe 22r)and loved it so much that we tried to make reservations for the next night, New Year's Eve. Baldovino was closed, but that was how we found out about Beccofino. Both are owned by a young Scottish chef and the food and ambiance at both are superb.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:59 AM
Bob

We just got back from several days in Firenze. Since I have relatives there, we got to eat where the natives eat. Here's 4 recommendations. The first 3 are "in town," but a little bit of a walk (20 min?) from the tourist centers. You won't find English menus, but good food and reasonable prices: <BR> <BR>1) Trattoria da Tito, Via S. Gallo 112 R, closed Sunday (N of the Duomo)-- near the University, so you'll find students being fed by their professors <BR>2) EDI House Ristorante/Pizzaria, Piazza Savonarola 8/R, NNE of the Duomo, neighborhood place with chic decor, outdoor deck <BR>3) Le Campane (the bells), Borgo La Croce 87/r (ESE of the Duomo, near the Synagogue), closed Monday <BR> <BR>and if you want to get out of town, drive or take the #45 (check number first) to La Casa de Procuitto. Go up to the square in Fiesole, go left, and then take the left fork toward Olmo. <BR> <BR>Buon appetito, <BR> <BR>3

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:37 PM
joan

You must go to San Gimignano-about one hour bus ride one way. The bus station is across from the train station. There are buses about every hour but I don't know when the last one leaves to return to Firenze. A walled town with artsy-crafty shops. The best is to do your walk around and then sit outside the gates of the city in a little pub and look out over the vast valley. Also I very much liked Sienna which is a little south of Firenze. There is a small village which seems like part of Firenze called Fiesole. You can climb the steep hill to get there or there is a new kind of tram that will take you up there. Views are great the there is a Roman amphitheatre where they give concerts. If you are staying close to the Duomo, you can walk to all the sites. Take good shoes. There is a huge open air market that is open 7 days a week in the summer. Many of the stall personnel speak English but it is crowded so always beware of pickpockets. Have been there three years in a row and you can get lost.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 01:27 AM
patti

Just got back from Italy, the food was amazing of course. In Florence, we ate twice at Mama Gina's on Borgo San Jacopo (next to Camillo's and Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco). All three trattorias are solid places to eat but my favorite was M. Gina's. The tagliere with fresh porcini is something I will dream about. It seemed like a mix of "locals" and tourists, but don't let the number of tourists turn you off. <BR>Also, an amazing rosticceria that we stumbled upon was Rosticceria Guiliano on Via de Neri, 74. Amazing roasted chicken wrapped around sausage and roasted potatoes. Great as a snack, especially since dinner is so late!

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:17 PM
topper

toppering

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:12 PM
m

bttt

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Giorgio

Locals don't eat at any restaurant, except for lunch. They know diner is a scam.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Sue

Another vote for Cinghiale Bianco!

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Ken

Here's an idea. You know, after a few days of eating Italian 3 times a day, you might want a change. There's a good Chinese restaurant on Via Dei Servi, just off the Duomo. And, yes, locals do eat there, even if nobody speaks Italian in the place!<BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Alyssa

Hi,<BR><BR>We were in Florence last week and ate 4 nights at Casa del Vin Santo. Food was great, reasonably priced and they have great pizzas as well. I loved the house wine and deserts.<BR>Ask for Nicola, he speaks english and is simply the best!<BR>He even makes faces in the cappuccino. <BR><BR>Nicola is very attentive and has a great personality, a real gentleman. The last night we were there he reserved us a table "Reserved for my friends from the states" we even took a picture with him when we left. <BR><BR>The address is:<BR>RISTORANTE CASA DEL VIN SANTO<BR>15/17/R., v. porta Rossa<BR>Phone: 0039 055 216995<BR>We walked in every night without reservations except the last one which he said we would need one as friday nights are busy. <BR>We also ate a ristorante a few steps down from the Ponte Vecchio going towards the Uffizi on the river. I can't remember the name but the served rabbit which my husband and son wanted to try. I had the Chicken "Medici Style" which was very good. Of course the name was in Italian but that was the english translation. <BR>The waiter there was also extremely nice and gave my teenage children a bottle of wine on the house to open when they are old enough and think of him when they drink it. <BR><BR>We had nothing but great experiences everywhere we ate in Florence. I don't think we had a bad meal the whole time there!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:37 AM
topper

topping for jan

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
ttt

Topping

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Brody

My wife and I had a great meal at Trattoria da tito on via San Gallo. Service was great. When we got the check we laughed because we couldn't believe that we had so much food for such a low cost. Very enjoyable dinner.<BR>Brody

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -