Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
florence itinerary -rough draft!! early stage!just beginning

i will be heading to florence midday around 2-3pm from venice on a train

Day 1: tuesday
check in hotel --Niccolini dome palace around 2-3pm
Duomo (open til 5pm)? Baptistery (til 7pm)? Bell Tower (til 7:30) & the Dell'opera (til 7:30) (try to at least fit 3 of the above in)
and try to find a good place for dinner (any recommendations?) what should we do after dinner at night?

Day 2: Wed.
eat breakfast at hotel
what should i do before the Uffizi
11:45 Ufizzi reservations
how long will the uffizi take--i am thingking 3-4 hours?
Dinner?
Night time activity

Day 3-thurs
breakfast at hotel
9:45 Accademia reservations
how long does the accademia take?
i was thinking of heading to pisa by train---is this possible? eat dinner in pisa
get back to florence at night???

Day 4: Friday
????

I want to fit in the Palazzo Pitti, Santa Croce, bargello--but where should i fit them in and is there anything else i am missing?
want to also make time for shopping and gelato!!! we don't mind being on the go.
thanks for checking out the above and i can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

wanted to add--that i only have a half day on friday---leaving on another train around 3pm
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM

I'm sure you will want to see the Ponte Vecchio. There's a beautiful piazza just around from there with amazing statuary- including an alternate David. Definitely go to Piza and climb the tower. That duomo, etc looks like a wedding cake. It was my most favorite thing of 2 weeks in Northern Italy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM

On Day 1: depending on heat and crowds, I would allow for a couple of hours to get to your hotel, settle in, rest, and freshen up. So maybe plan on heading out about 5pm, if you're arriving at the train station between 2-3pm.

After a short walk around the outside of the duomo, I would hit the dell'opera museum first (1 hour min.) Then, if it's still open, the Baptistery (even 20-30 minutes is an okay amount of time to gaze at the ceiling mosaics)

Day Two: In the morning, see the inside of the Duomo, or the Baptistery if missed the night before (if they are open, sometimes the hours are funny)

Uffizi definately takes 4 hours. I would try to have lunch at the cafe first, before touring the museum. Maybe think about a short refreshment break at the cafe halfway through, as well. If you are really interested in the art, take your time in the Uffizi and don't rush yourself.

The piazza della signoria was empty in the evenings this past April, from before sunset...depending on time/time of year, spend some time in the piazza after the Uffizi.

Gelato rec': Gilli's, on via Roma, across from the Savoy. Looks like it will cost a fortune, but for 2.50 you'll get a gigantic cup of excellent gelato. You can walk down via Roma on your way to the Uffizi, or on the way back. (The bakery is also excellent- the restaurant is expensive but looked good, too)

Day Three: Accademia takes at the very least 1 hour. There is also a little museum with historical musical instruments in the same building. I think we spent about 2 1/2 hours total.

Gelato rec': Carabe, on via Ricasoli, very close to the Accademia. Looks a bit like a hole from the outside, which is a good thing. In general, I think it's best to wary of the showy gelato places. Don't buy from a gelato shop that doesn't have its prices clearly listed. Usually a single scope in a cup costs between 2-3 euro.

Day Four: I would go to the Bargello when it first opens this day. You'll probably spend way more time in the Bargello than you think- I had to go back for a second visit. I really recommend making the Bargello a "must-see" on your list.

I also recommend taking a slightly windey detour to walk there, early in the morning- south of the duomo is a little street called via S. Elisabetta. Walk south past via del Corso, to via Dante Aligheri. Turn left here, in a couple of blocks you'll hit "Dante's house". The streets here are narrow and twisty and had no other tourists when we walked along them on an early weekday morning. Only older gentlemen in three piece suites riding their bicycles to the office.

I loved just walking in Florence at night. Saw Santa Croce this way at night, floodlit, which was beautiful. Did not have time to go back to see the inside, though. I don't know the best way to fit this in.

The Oltrarno was my favourite area, so much less crowded, like what I dreamed Florence would be. Just walking along borgo San Jacopo/via Santo Spirito is wonderful. You can experience the Ponte Vecchio on the way. It's a tacky curiosity to see once while walking to better things across the river. I haven't been to the Pitti Palace, but I would be inclined to just wander the Oltrarno on Friday afternoon/evening, after the Bargello.

I don't know if you have your heart set on the Leaning Tower, but I would recommend thinking about Fiesole as a short daytrip, maybe in the afternoon after the Accademia. The archeological museum there is really good. There is an ancient roman theater on the extensive grounds, and a gorgeous view of the countryside.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM

Sorry, didn't see your second post...

If it were me, I would scrap any daytrip and explore the Oltrarno on Day 3, after the Accademia.

Day 4, Bargello first thing, and no other plans except lunch and catching your train.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM

great info bookmarking
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM

I remember we arrived in Florence in the late afternoon on our first trip and after settling in, we really enjoyed climbing Giotto's tower first thing. The lines are shorter (if non-existent) compared to the duomo, and it gives you a great view of the city. We then walked around and over to the Pontevechhio and got a feel for the place.

You can spend as much or as little time in the musuems as you want. I would say a minumum for 30 min in the Academia and an hour in the Uffizzi. Of course, you could spend much longer. I would recommend focusing on the various Davids in the Bargello -- it's fun comparing them to THE David at the Accademia.

By the way our favorite restaurant in Florence is Sostanza. We've eaten there three times and have been blown away each time. If you try it, make sure you get the merenga cake for dessert. Probably the best thing i've ever put in my mouth.

Have a great trip! I LOVE Florence.

dina

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi I,

Rather than Pisa, I suggest a visit to Siena.

When are you going?