Search

Florence/Italy - Where should I shop?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence/Italy - Where should I shop?

Hi,
I'm going to Rome for 5 days and Florence for 2 days (for the first time - soooo excited!) Does anyone have recommendations on where to shop? (Outside of the regular/ big name brand stores.) I'd like to get some nice, fairly priced gifts for my family/friends (and myself - haha).
Thanks in advance for your help! =)
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM

tata,

There are a lot of vendor booth on the street right close to the Duomo. Some say the quality is not as good or as authentic as some of the other shops, but we found nice leather, pottery, etc. to take home as souvenirs. You can find some nicer things as well.

In addition, there are all kinds of stores in the area. I also found some wonderful paper, bookmarks, paper covered boxes, and page markers at a wonderful little store across the Ponte Vecchio bridge (off to the right...can't remember the name, but it is a little corner paper store).

There is a store that is a bit pricey, but definately worth it due to quality and authenticity that sells WONDERFUL masks! It is on Via Faenza (going from downtown towards the central rail station) and is called Alice Atelier. You will feel like you went back in time and are in Ghepetto's store (if you meet Professor Augostino Dessi)! Even if you don't but, it is a treat to experience this store.

I will return to it when we go back in Oct.

Have a WONDERFUL time!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM

P.S. tata....the above was for Florence shopping!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:17 AM

Florence, as a centre for high fashion and quality antiques, is quiet expensive but hard to beat. Florence specialty are leather goods and shoes, and for a food lovers wide variety of wines, olive oils and preserves.

Away from Florence, in Tuscany, small farm estates sell their products, such as honeys, liquors and wines, direct to the public, while many Tuscan towns have their own craft and food specialties.

Here is more:

http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=207

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM

bookmarking for my trip this winter!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
MaureenB

There are many places to spend money in Florence! We shopped in the outdoor markets, but it's rather overwhelming. You can bargain with the vendors, for the most part, though.

For a nice little store that's off-the-beaten-path somewhat, I suggest this one, from my trip report of May 2006:

"We returned to Florence and finished our shopping mission: to find a wallet and a belt for my son. My daughter’s recommendation was a little store on Via del Corso 69/r, called Leonardo da Vinci. A very nice woman runs it, and my daughter thought her prices were the best for quality pieces. This shop had originally been recommended by our Florentine host family, and my daughter found a beautiful leather blazer there. Her family said the quality is high and the pieces are definitely made locally, whereas some vendors might be passing off materials imported outside of Italy, and of lower quality."

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Florence-
Ceramics/Pottery-go to Ceramiche Rampini on Borgo Ognosanti for beautiful ceramics. Their workshop is in Radda in Chianti and this is their showroom.
Leather- there is a nice leather shop in the square in front of Santa Croce.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM

This is an article I wrote a couple of years ago:

http://www.florencevillas.com/newsletter/nl_18.htm
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM

When entering a small shop it is polite to take off your hat if wearing one, and ask permission to browse.Most Americans do not, this doesn't help our image.My cousin owns a wonderful jewerly store in Capri right accross from the ferry.He gets upset when people just walk in and browse.He tells me "you would walk into a persons house without knocking". Have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:02 PM

Hi miasapa: thank you for letting travelers like myself that I should ask in the future should I wish to merely browse. I wasn't quite aware of this custom (it's very American to just walk in and browse, then walk out), and will do so the next time I visit bella italia!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:38 AM

There have been some posts lately re: Florence shopping cautioning people not to buy illegal knock offs as there's a risk of heavy fines to the purchaser. You might want to keep this in mind.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Jed

I'm not looking for a moral discussion, but I am curious if anyone has actual experience with asking or not asking permission to browse in small shops in Italy?

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Can someone please tell me-- In Italian-- what I would say when entering the store? (To ask permission to browse)
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Just talk in English .. as you enter they will recongnise your accent and reply to you in English anyhow.

For shopping I would recommend

http://www.hotels-rome-italy-hotels....ponte-vecchio/

Up and down there are some great things to look at and it is not just on the bridge. We caught site of some fab shops down the side streets at either end. Not all are cheap but they seemed pretty authentic wears.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:37 AM

suestein: I expect others to weigh in on this, but I have never heard of "asking to browse" as being an Italian custom. What I HAVE heard and believe to be true is that when entering a store or place of business, you always say,

"Buon Giorno signore" or signora or signorina

(or "buona sera signore" in late afternoon through the evening)

and upon leaving after browsing, always say, "Grazie, arrivederci".

If I felt it absolutely necessary to ask to browse around, I guess I'd say, "Posso?" or "posso vedere?" Which means "May I" or "May I see" (what you have to offer-implied)

But again, a greeting with a signore or signora added is most appropriate when entering a business.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Grazie!

Yes, the shopkeepers will definitely know I'm american! LOL. I am trying hard to learn a little bit of the language, though. (I've been listening to my Pimsleur CDs in the car.)
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input!!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM

For leather, the best quality we've found in 20 years of Italian travel is at ANNA. A family-owned business, Mrs Anna has been in business 50 years now. Her store is on the "other" side of the Arno on the same street that crosses the Ponte Vecchio, about 2 blocks up, on the right hand side if your back is to the bridge. Address is Piazza Pitti...so she's right across from the Pitti Palace. She owns her own factory and you can buy off the rack (there is a huge storeroom if your size isn't on the in-store rack) OR if you're going to be in town a day or two (or returning to Florence in a day or two) she will make to measure. Also ships worldwide (we've done this, too, and she is prompt!). Prices range from "easily affordable" to expensive, but we are still wearing leather jackets that are 20 years old and they show no wear, no fading, no wrinkles. (We're going back in 2 weeks to buy more!) Enjoy!