Florence, Italy - Location Safety

Aug 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Florence, Italy - Location Safety

Recently made a reservation at the Hotel Santa Maria Novella in Florence. Has anyone stayed here? Was your stay pleasant? Also, how was the area surrounding the hotel (Piazza Santa Maria Novella)? Is the area safe?
Aug 27th, 2007, 04:34 PM

We have stayed there. The hotel is nice. You won't be unsafe in the area but it isn't the best. They have a lot of people hanging out in the piazza in the evening and at night. We wouldn't stay there again.

For what you're paying there, you can get a nice hotel more inside the historic district towards Piazza Republica or the Duomo or Santa Croce.
Aug 27th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Hi

My wife and I felt pretty safe in Florence when we went there in July. We had a hotel called Hotel Anglo American located about 10 minutes away from the train station (going out of town) but we did a lot of walking both day and night and it was not a problem. Here is the first part of my Florence trip report: http://gardkarlsen.com/eating_drinki...ence_Italy.htm . Send me a mail on [email protected] and I'll let you know when the rest of the trip report is ready When are you going?

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Aug 28th, 2007, 04:14 AM

I have been to Florence about a dozen times. Santa Maria Novella is a lovely property but frankly located in one of my least favorite parts of the city. For the money, you can do better elsewhere.
Aug 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
ira

Hi AZ,

The plaza in front of the train station is a hang out for undesirable elements at night.

There is also a large police presence, both uniformed and plain clothes.

It is not unsafe if you take the usual precautions.

Your hotel has very good reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

Aug 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input... Going to Italy for two weeks in Oct and staying Florence for 5 nights 6 days. Reason for picking this hotel was it is good location between the train stations and historic district. We plan to do several day trips to other towns.

Thanks again for all the advice