florence for kids

Search

florence for kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
florence for kids

Has anybody taken their children to Florence and did they like it? What did you see that they enjoyed? I have two boys 10 and 14 years old. I know I would love it,but I need to know if they will be bored to tears (prob from my wounderful explainations) and destroy my enjoyment factor. d
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi H,

They might like the Science Museum.
www.imss.fi.it/
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:01 AM

My daughter has been to Florence twice - at 10 and 14. They may have already studied the Renaisssance so this may bring things they studied or will study to life. For boys - you may want to give them a guide book and help them to pick out some places to see plus give them some background history of the Renaissance and the famous artists, architects, and scientists and the Medici Family (and some of the intrigue that went along with it - for example you can learn about Savonarola and show them the spot in Florence where he was burned). I think that seeing Michelangelo's David would be interesting, the Duomo and Bapistry (with explanation that these were the first of this kind of architecture and art)and they can climb to the top of the dome or bell tower - Santa Croce where a lot of famous folks are interned, Michelangelo, Galileo, and Machiavelli.

There is also a musuem of Science that may interest boys. The Bargello Museum is lovely and sometimes sculpture is more appealing to kids.

Get a travel book like Florence Citypack or DK's Top 10 Florence and engage the kids in picking out things that would interest them - and make sure that you balance it with a few things that you really want to see, too (if you love art then I would try to go to the Uffizzi even if they may be a bit bored) -
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Just to clarify, you may be thinking the Science Museum is one like they'd have in the States, but oh it's so much more. Introduce them to Galileo before you leave home so they can appreciate what they are seeing when they get there.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:12 AM

My two boys (10 and 15 at the time) liked these things ....

+Climbing the campinille (bell tower next to the duomo) and taking in the view.

+You can also climb the duomo but try to go early so you an avoid the wait in line.

+Go inside the duomo and explore the underground area.

+ The sculptures outside near the Uffizi.

+ See the David. Promise them it is a small museum and won't take a long time.

+ Have them conduct a scientific study to find the best gelato in Florence.

+ Younger boy brought a soccer ball and they played in the piazzas.

+ There is a small da Vinci museum that has working models of his sketchbook inventions. You can turn cranks and such.

+ The church where Amerigo Vespucci's remains rest (forget the name) was cool, once I explained who Vespucci was.

They didn't like:

+ Looking at all that art on the walls.

+ Long boring walks around the town looking at buildings.

+ Browsing the outdoor shopping stalls.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Okay, the first thing I think of when I think of 10 and 14 year old boys in Florence: You have to visit Santa Maria Novella church (near the train station). Get the Rick Steves book on Florence and read aloud to the boys about the fresco, "St Philip Driving the Dragon from the Temple of Hieropolis." I don't generally find fart humor funny, but Rick's description of the fresco is hysterical.

Last summer we took our kids, then ages 10, 13 and 15 to Rome, Florence and Venice. Everyone's favorite place was Florence.

Climb up the towers of the Duomo. The painting of the Last Judgment up there is deliciously lurid. Also climb the bell tower.

Don't miss the David.

I also think the boys could go for the Uffizi (make reservations in advance to avoid the lines) IF you keep it short and sweet. The tour from the Rick Steves book is great for kids (and adults who don't want to spend all day there.) He highlights one piece of art per room....it moves pretty fast but by the time you're out of there, you have a pretty decent understanding of the development of western European art.

I will preface this with saying that my 15 year old son is a major "reader", but my son came away intrigued by Dante....when we got home, he bought the Divine Comedy and devoured The Inferno right away. (It took longer for him to get though the other two books, I assume due to less violence.)He had to do a major (50+ page) paper in school, and he did it on Dante.

If you have time, don't skip Pisa. Sure, it's kitsch city, but that's the fun of it. Take the pictures of your boys "holding up" the tower.

And of course, there's always gelato.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:11 AM

One more thing which will enhance your "enjoyment factor." Let them bring gameboys and/or iPods. They buy me a few extra minutes in a church or museum.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Climbing the Duomo - but I second getting there early so there is no line. Parco delle Cascine is a good place to run off steam. If your boys like a little bit of gore, take them to the Science Musuem (Museo di Storia del Scienza) to see Galileo's finger. The museum has other interesting exhibits as well. Check familytravelforum.com for other ideas.
TONS OF GELATO is also key.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM

The bes thing I have done to keep my kids engaged is give the digital camera to take phots. Then they make slide show when we return. They make ones with themes too - like a statue slide show or face show, or funny car show
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Have the boys ever been to Europe? I ask, because if you are from the US, the difference in things they'll see will keep them amused...things like Smart Cars, and all the Vespas.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:26 AM

In addition to the Science Museum and the small da Vinci Museum, kids love the La Specola Museum which has wax models of animals and bodies (some decomposing!) and also many scientific and medical instruments. Florence has a few churches with incorrupt bodies of saints, including: St. Antoninus, in San Marco; St. Teresa Margaret in the monastery of St. Teresa; and St. Mary Magdelene Pazzi in the Carmelite chapel in the Careggi neighborhood.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone for your feed back. Our boys have not been to Europe before so I know there are many simple things that will enthrall them. However, it always pays to check. We are from Australia so it will be a big trip for them (and us). deb
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Gelato, gelato, gelato!! Boboli Gardens gives them opportunity to stretch their legs a little and there is an area of the gardens called the Grotto that they might find intriguing...there is a funny little fat bellied statue our kids got a kick out of seeing. Florence is a great place for kids that age - you won't have to work very hard at keeping them interested.