Florence advice

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Elspeth

Florence advice

I am going to Florence with my mother in early September, this is a budget holiday and we are trying to find a hotel which won't cost us more than about L130,000 each in a twin room - so probably a one star. We are looking at the Hotel Casci, Hotel Maxim - but we are very worried about being ripped off or disappointed. We only need basic, clean, comfortable accommodation, in a safe area, and we don't mind whether or not we have an ensuite bathroom - any advice, suggestions etc?

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Deb

Elspeth, Have you tried the site www.venere.it to look for hotels. I found it very accurate and the pictures quite helpful. I would not think you would need to down to a one star for what you are willing to pay. good luck.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:46 AM
s.fowler

The two budget hotels that get good reviews here are the Casci and Hotel Pendini. When we were planning our, now postponed, trip to Florence and Rome we decided on the Pendini because of its central location.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:07 AM
elaine

Hi
Here are some comments on the CAsci that have appeared on this forum, you can do a search here on either hotel for perhaps more comments
Hotel Casci, on via Cavour, (great location). The web site is: www.hotelcasci.com. It's a nice two star hotel, centrally located, clean, and about 100/night with breakfast. All rooms have a private bath. Others on this forum have stayed here as well, and liked it.

July 2000: more on the Casci
My husband and I stayed at Hotel Casci in Florence this past March and I can't say enough good things about it! The room was gigantic, the staff very friendly, they even allowed us to leave our luggage there the morning we checked out, so that we could go and visit David. The breakfast room has frescos on the ceilings and as far as location goes, it really can not be beat! Right around the corner from the Duomo! The street that is is on is very noisy but with the thick double glass on the windows we didn't hear a thing, and I am a very VERY light sleeper... Reserve early also.

July 2000: We stayed at the Casci last September, and I wholeheartedly agree with above comments. Wonderful location, great hotel, very reasonably priced, but don't take a room in front due to the noise.

Here's another one, don't know current prices, might be less
Pensione Bretagna, recommended by Rick Steves and a Fodor's poster, Dec 2000:
Next to British Consulate, on the Arno, on Piazza San Trinita. 18 rooms, 9 with with private bath or shower, rooms are reasonable size. Hotel has elevator. Address: Lungarno Corsini, 6, 50123. Telephone: +39.055.289618 Fax:: +39.055.289619 All rooms are equipped with color tv and direct dial telephones. All major credit cards are accepted. Parking available upon request. www.bretagna.it/ From Cheap Sleeps in Italy: "For those who require modern comforts in a coordinated atmosphere, this is not your Florence address. However, for those who appreciate history, river location, original architectural touches--such as inlaid wooden floors, marble fireplaces, a collection of ceramic plates from the 1700s mysteriously imbedded into a cement wall, and graceful old ceilings--this could be your address.
The best rooms are Nos. 22 and 30, both overlooking the courtyard of the neighboring British Consulate.
These rooms can be either a double or a triple--if you unfold the sofa in 30, or sleep in the twin bed in an alcove in
#22."

Here's one more from this forum
"Albergo Pensione Centrale, Via dei Conti 3, Tel.055/215761, Fax 215216. A quiet, small, second floor pensione, on a side street 4 blocks from the train station, 2 blocks from the Duomo and everything else. Nice view of San Lorenzo Dome, one block away over the roof tops. Antiques, artwork, flowers, classical music. Great bed. Great bath. Good breakfast. Cost to us for double with bath: 4 nights @ 135,000 lira per night, breakfast
included.. Eat one meal a Da Penello, Via D.Alighieri,4r.."

I have a file on Florence; if you'd like to see it, email me

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Steve the Guide

Try Hotel Scoti in Via Tornabuoni (In down town).Very nice rooms (bath-room on the floor)with painting. Very cheap in a fantastic position. E-mail> [email protected] Fax + 055 292128

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Thyra

Elspeth, my husband stayed at the Casci and can't recommend it enough, our room was huge, the staff was A+, they even gave us a calendar as a gift when we checked out. B-fest is served in a room with 16th century fescos on the ceiling. Also the location could not be beat, right around the corner from the Duomo and up the street from David! I would stay there again in a heart beat. We had room that faced the street and it didn't bother us at all, but then again, I always sleep with earplugs. If noise does bother you request a room in the back or facing the garden. This is a great, great hotel and it books months in advance. You will not be dissapointed, if you can get in. PS I found the Casci through Frommer's guide book and cross-referenced it on this Forum before I booked, so it is recommended.