Reload this Page >

Florence accomodation suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Ed

My wife and I will be in Florence for 4 nights starting on May 3 and ending on the 7th. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel in the city centre? Also, does anyone have any off-the-beaten-path restaurant suggestions? Thanks.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Melissa

Ed, if you do a search on "Florence" on this board, you'll come up with a bazillion recommendations. I personally liked the Hotel Pendini & its breakfast room. http://www.tiac.net/users/pendini <BR> <BR>These guys also give good recommendations on restaurants!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Rex

Hotel La Gioconda - - www.venere.it/it/firenze/gioconda - - you can book it online, right there. <BR>260.000 LIT per night <BR> <BR>Likewise, Hotel Le Cascine - - www.venere.it/it/firenze/lecascine <BR>280.000 LIT per night <BR> <BR>Or Hotel Aldini - - www.venere.it/it/firenze/aldini/eng.html <BR>240.000 LIT per night <BR> <BR>All three have rooms for the nights you need. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Rafael

I´ve stayed in a very well located hotel (near Palazzo Strozzi, just between the train station and the Duomo area) in Florence last year (in May - Lt 200.000 per night). <BR>Its name is Hotel Adam but I do not have the telephone right now. <BR>If you are still interested, please e-mail me and I will find the telephone for you.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Deb

Hi Ed. Try Hotel Casci. Great location and all necessary room amenities. Family owned and they really care about you! Best of all the rates are LOW. Web address is www.hotelcasci.com

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:07 PM
wendy

When I was there someone had suggested La Porta Rossa, but it was sold out. Subsequently a friend of mine stayed there and loved it. It is right near the Piazza della Republica, very central and reasonably priced for that location.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Joanna

I can highly recommend The Hermitage. Fabulous location right near the Ponte Vecchio. Rooms were quite spacious and sound-proofed. We had a suite of rooms (for the cost of a double) consisting of reception area (great for drying clothes if you turn the heat up in the room), bedroom and bathroom. There was a common sitting room outside that nobody seemed to use. Breakfast can be taken either on the enclosed part of the roof, or the outside part if the weather permits. Found the staff very friendly and helpful. Personally, I can't think of a better location - our room overlooked the Ponte Vecchio and the Arno with views towards the Boboli Gardens.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:35 AM
KACE

Hi Ed- <BR> <BR>I just got back from Florence. We stayed at the Hotel Mario (three stars I think) and it was truly delightful. 16 rooms, great location near train station and Duomo, and the kindest staff in the world. We had our infant son with us and they could not have been nicer or more accomodating. Try www.hotelmarios.com. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Stephanie

I can tell you where NOT to stay in Florence. Hotel Rex on Via Faenza. Unfortunately I don't have any positive recommendations for a hotel. As for a restaurant......Tratoria Antellesi (sp?) which is close to the Medici Chapel)on Via Faenza. This is an awesome restaurant....we went there twice. The owner is from Montreal and has lived in Florence for four years. The food is outstanding. Also, if you are looking for leather goods, go to the Leather School located in Santa Croce. The quality is unsurpassed with anything you will see in any of the stores. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:26 AM
steve

I recommend the Martelli - excellent location, nice 3 star hotel, reasonably priced. <BR>URL - http://ucgi.venere.it/firenze/martelli/

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Melissa

I stayed at a 4 star hotel, the Best Western, which was walking distance to just about everything. I studied in Italy for a summer program so we stayed there for a month. Two blocks away from the train station. <BR> <BR>A short walk to the Duomo, the Uffizi, and the Ponte Vecchio. There are great little restaurants in the vicinity, where you can eat heartily with wine included for about $10 per person. Please feel free to e-mail me back. I traveled out there for 6 weeks and had a great time.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Amanda

Hi, <BR> <BR>I have just came back from Florence. I would highly recommend HOTEL ALINARI. Its a 3 star hotel that is located on via nazionale. Its about 5 min walk from the train station, and within close walking distance to all attractions. The rooms were nice and big, the bathroom is hugh and clean. We've paid about $80 per night (breakfast included). HAve fun!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:08 PM
mimi

The first time we stayed in Florence we stayed at the Fenice Palace, restored palazzo near the Dumo. It ranged in the moderate range for Florence. The second time we stayed at the Casci which was cheaper but still very clean. We had one room that was very tiny and a second room that was large. I recommend both and loved the location near the domo and walking distance to everywhere.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Tracey

Hotel Continental. Beautiful, friendly,charming,perfect location, not inexpensive.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:46 AM
Uma

Melissa, <BR> <BR>When you said "I stayed at a 4 star hotel, a Best Western, which was walking <BR>distance to just about everything" were you referring to the Rivoli ? We have a booking there and I haven't seen anything about it in this forum. So I'd really appreciate any additional information you can give me. What is the neighborhood like ? I've seen some mention of not-so-desirable areas near the train station and so I was concerned about the location of the Rivoli. What are the rooms and bathrooms like ? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:58 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening,Ed Would have to second <BR>the recommendation of Tracey, the <BR>CONTINENTAL, we have used this excellant <BR>hotel, with noisy street side rooms for <BR>a number of years, its location at the <BR>northend ofthe Ponte Vecchio for us is <BR>perfect. However consider its sister <BR>hotel on the opposite side of the river <BR>and on the quieter Borgo S. Jacobi.Tho <BR>the riverside rooms do have an excellent <BR>senic view of Florence. Beleive you <BR>can get information on either from www. <BR>lungarnohotels.it/, if not www.venere.it/ <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.. <BR>If you want some ristorante suggestions <BR>drop me a line and will respond. rjv

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:45 PM
gary

I second the recommendation of the Hotel Continental <BR>it is right at the foot of the Ponte Vecchio and is a very nice hotel - not particularly cheap (I think we paid about $325 US in 1999

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:17 AM
Rob

Try the Hotel Pendini -- entry on the Via Strozzi, just off the Piazza della Repubblica ... some rooms overlook it. (The Piazza which is just a few blocks south of the Duomo and north of the Piazza della Signoria, location of the Palazzo Vecchio and Uffizi). Entry on the Via Strozzi. <BR> <BR>Rooms small, staff pleasant, breakfast sufficient, prices reasonable. <BR> <BR>Website (prices are not current): http://www.tiac.net/users/pendini/hotel.html <BR> <BR>But, wherever you decide on -- book NOW! <BR> <BR>P.S. Great restaurants all over the place!