Flooding in Italy

Oct 17th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Barbara

Flooding in Italy

I see that there is terrible rain and flooding in northwestern Italy and that the rain has caused higher than usual acqua alta in Venice. Does anyone know the current status of Venice? Is the acqua alta only affecting certain parts of Venice or has this excessive rain put many or most areas under water?? Am due to arrive in Venice on Friday!

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Jaime Torres George

Hello Barbara I'm heading also to venice also in few weeks(Nov. 17). And also want to know about the current status of water levels in venice. Also ,How is gonna been ,the climate if gonna been cold, snow?
Winter stuffs? gloves scarfs, coats?

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Kim

Hi everyone,

I was in Venice last Wed-Sat. Yes there has been a high tide. Raised wooden walkways have been put up in San Marco and along the main route from San Marco to the train station (pretty mush all major routes). During the day the tide lowers, but there are some sidewalks along the Grande Canal and near San Marco that were impassable without rubber boots. But for the most part, you can get to anywhere you need to go. They say San Marco is the lowest part of Venice. We didn't have any problems walking around Venice. The only problem we had was when we decided to sit down at one of the cafes in P. San Marco on Friday night to listen to one of the orchestras outside, we could only have one drink when the waiter same by to tell us they were closing up shop for the night (10:00 pm) because the high tide would flood their spot within 25 minutes so we went across the piazza to Caffe Florian which was unaffected. As for the weather, it never was a pouring rain in Venice, it was just gray and misting. The temp was about 70 degrees. Beware of mosquitos, though-- my husband & I were covered in mosquito bites after our night at the Florian. Don't worry about the aqua alta-- you will still have a good time!

Kim

Oct 17th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Paulo

The situation is indeed serious, specially in the provinces of Piacenza, Parma and Pavia, and in Val d'Aosta. The Po river is 10,50m over its normal level in Piacenza and increasing as it gets all the water upflow. The Ticino river in Pavia is also very high. Appart from tghe floding in these and other provinces, the transportation routes have also be affected.

The A4 Autostrada is closed in both senses in stretches between Torino and Novara. The A5 Autostrada is closed in both senses in a couple of stretches. I suspect that Mt. Blanc tunnel is also closed.

From Bologna to Milan, train traffic is dicontinued between Piacenza and Codogno. Trains are being rerouted and trip delays may be anything from 40 minutes up to 3 hours.

Relative to the "acqua alta" in Venice, unfortunately the online forecast is out of order
http://www.comune.venezia.it/maree/prev.asp?F=page_b

Anyway, some flooding is indeed quite common in Venice. Piazza San Marco is one of the lowest areas in town and starts flooding with a tide of +70cm with respect to normal (zero tide condition). I've witnessed San Marco Square with 10/20/30 cm of water at least a half dozen times. But this doesn't qualify as "acqua alta", an unusual high tide due to a conjunction of factors(astronomical, barometric and wind). An Acqua Alta is characterized if the tide reaches 110+ cm. Though I've visited Venice probably 2 dozens of times, I never witnessed one. It only occurs an average of about 4 times per year, more often in winter (specially November)

I wouldn't worry though, Barbara. Though unfortunate for the city, tourists actually have fun when Venice is mildly flooded ... should an acqua alta occur while you're there, you'll know it well in advance. Sirenes will sound around the city and notices will be posted up in the vaporetto landing stages. Duck-boards will be laid out in San Marco, by landing stages and in other thoroughfares to provide means for some mobility. Some vaporetto routes may be alterred (with high waters boats won't be able to navigate under some bridges) but life should be back to "normal" in 3 or 4 hours ...

Paulo

Oct 17th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Robin

---
For what it's worth, I got my hotel confirmation this morning re: my visit to Venice next week and they advised:

"I confirm your reservation for 3 nights arriving on Oct the 24th,for a
single with Canal view and without bathroom. See you soon!..and don't worry..the water is not so high!!"
Sincerely,Chiara

Thank you,
sincerely
Luciano&Stefano

Hotel Galleria

=========

Oct 18th, 2000, 03:31 AM
Shirlene

Hello all,
I am in Florence now, and I was in Venice last friday, saturday and sunday. Acqua alta friday when I arrived - but not so high. Beautiful, safe, I could walk everywhere. The only problem is the city is too much CROWDED. The problem with flood is exactly where Paulo said. Yesterday I went to Siena and San Gimigniano, and also everything is fine. Hope you enjoy, don't worry. Ciao.