Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flight within Spain: SpanAir, Air Europa or Iberia?

Jul 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I read about (quite many) negative feedbacks on Iberia and wondering if Span Air or Air Europa would be a better option for travelling from Sevilla to Barcelona?

I'd like to get some feedback/experience from the Fodorites here, please...TIA!
Jul 19th, 2010, 07:43 AM

For such a short flight I'd just base my decision on price (factoring in the "extra" charges).

Have you considered train? It may actually be cheaper, particularly if you can get a webfare, and if you are starting and ending in mid-city it can save you time and $ in getting from the airport to the center (the trains are in the city centers).
Jul 19th, 2010, 08:33 AM

from Seville to Barcelona take a look at Vueling.
http://www.vueling.com/?language=EN

We used them from Barcelona to Granada and were happy with the service.
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both!

I checked the train prices here
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

and it looks much more expensive than flights, about EUR 140 each person (one-way), where as the flight costs between EUR 40-50 each.
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM

renfe often offers lower web or estrella fares, but you have to book well ahead of time.
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Renfe has webfares for this route also. I just checked a random date in September and you can get a rate as low as 46 euros.....

So, if you factor in the cost and time of getting to and from the airports in addition to the airline "supplements" the train is often cheaper (if you purchase in advance).
Jul 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cathy,
Thank you for your reply!

Do I have the correct site for RENFE here?
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

When I put in Seville > BCN for NOv 4, the price returns EUR140

How advance do you make the bookings?
I assume the promo/web fares are available for everyone online (the promo prices are what listed on the site)...?
Jul 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Geez, I apologize. I'm trying to multi-task and obviously not doing a very good job of it.

I thought you were going from Madrid to Barcelona!!!

I find webfares in September for Sevilla to Barcelona for 84 euros (renfe hasn't opened up the ticketing yet for Nov 4 on this route which is why you can't see it). However, the travel time is over 5.5 hours.

Although the cost my be equal by the time you factor in the cost of a taxi (if you don't want to take public transportation to/from the airport) I think it would be quicker by plane even with the travel time to/from the airports.

Sorry to confuse you.
Jul 19th, 2010, 02:24 PM

I just flew MAD-BCN and Malaga-MAD on Spanair; and BCN-Malaga on Vueling. The first Spanair flight was on a plane with very limited leg room. The second Spanair was better. Vueling had the cheapest flight and the plane was very comfortable. But, you pay for EVERYTHING on Vueling, including water.
Jul 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM

" But, you pay for EVERYTHING on Vueling, including water.'

I find airline food so bad, I seldom eat even on overseas flights. More leg room is much better deal!
Jul 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM

I was actually shocked at the high quality of food on my last flight from Madrid to Atlanta on Delta. I had prepared ahead and brought a bocadilla and other snacks as the food is usually not very good. Then there was the flight over on Air France...........
Jul 19th, 2010, 06:22 PM

I have flown these three airlines within Spain, and between Spain and other European cities. Nothing special about any of them, but also nothing horrible. I would just let price be your guide.
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Sounds like a flight over to BCN from Seville would be a better option than train.
I will continue checking on the prices for a little longer and will use the cheapest as the guide