Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flamenco show in Barcelona? Recommendable?

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!
Next May I will go with my couple and some friends to visit Barcelona. In addition to seeing all Gaudi's art and the modernity of the city we would like to see some flamenco show. I know that this type of music and dance is better in the south of Spain but we do not have the possibility of moving there and we would like to find a flamenco show in Barcelona of good quality. I am afraid of choosing a place and being scammed because I know that flamenco is a very important claim for foreigners. Therefore, I ask for opinions in this forum, in case someone has had some experience in a good quality place. Thank you so much.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 02:28 AM

Hey marymonty! I would totaly recommend you to look at a flamenco. I watched one and it was incredible. Unfortunately i cannot remember the place i visited. but I think almost every flamenco show is good in their own way. Just ask some people in the city where to go the best
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 05:25 PM
kja

In Barcelona, consider Tablao de Carmen; I enjoyed a dinner there, too. I believe seats are assigned in the order in which reservations are made, so consider that as you plan.
https://www.tablaodecarmen.com/es/

I also saw a flamenco performance in Barcelona at Tablao Cordobes, but had NOT dined with them and was disappointed with my seat, as my view of the dancers was largely blocked by others. I couldn’t see feet at all! Seats in the performance venue there are in a different room than the tables for dining; those who have a meal are given the better seats regardless of time of reservation.
http://www.tablaocordobes.es

Both were recommended by kimhe, who offered flamenco recommendations throughout Spain for many years; you might want to do a google search including the terms “fodor’s”, “flamenco”, “kimhe”, and each of the city names.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:17 PM

I can't help you with a suggestion but ypu should know that Flamenco is a Southern Spain dance and I believe it really has nothing to do with Barcelona culturally.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:46 PM
kja

That flamenco is not a traditional Catalunyan dance does not mean that you can't experience some world-class flamenco in Barcelona these days.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi all.
Thank you so much for your answers and advices. I'm going to analyse all the options that you've recommended to me because I want to get the most out of it. I've also asked on TripAdvisor and they've recommended me as an option "Nervión
Restaurant with flamenco in Barcelona" so I add it to the list and together with tablaocordobes and tablaodecarmen I'm gonna call them for having more information and continue looking for info to see what's the best option.
At least I already have more optiones than before hahahah. In addition, I know that flamenco, although it is not a traditional dance in Catalonia, is very strong in this area because I have studied Spanish culture a lot and I know the migratory movements that have settled in Catalonia and that had flamenco culture.
Thank you so much!