Flamenco in Barcelona

Jun 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Flamenco in Barcelona

Suggestions for a good location ,restaurant or other, to see good Flamenco in Barcelona.
Jun 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM

Type in PaulH and read my Barcelona trip report. I had a paragraph on Barcelona flamenco. It's several years old, so things might have changed.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM

We were in Barcelona a couple weeks ago and saw a place on the Ramblas that has a Flamenco show that begins at 11pm. I don't recall the name, nor do I know if it's a good show. Perhaps someone else will know more about the place. I understand there is not alot of flamenco dancing in Barcelona. Have a great tirp! Mo
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM

I took a ski club group of 24 people to Tablao de Carmen last March. Maribel recommended Tablao de Carmen in her Barcelona guide.

The staff at the restaurant were outstanding. They let me arrange everything by e-mail & fax. They also arranged several vegetarian meals for members of my group. I don't know anything about flamenco but I was very moved by the dancers to the point of tears.

http://www.tablaodecarmen.com/index_a.htm

Jun 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Not typically known for flamenco, Barcelona is nevertheless the birthplace of one of flamenco's legends, Carmen Amaya. It is also here she died so prematurely of kidney failure at approx 50 yrs old. The tablao you mention is named for her. I don't know if it actually has any affiliation with the Amaya family or not as I have not been there. Omayra Amaya is the relative that is most actively known today.

Here is some info you may find interesting regarding Carmen Amaya in preparation for your visit to that tablao.

http://www.flamenco-world.com/artists/amaya/amaya.htm