Search

FIX THIS SITE!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIX THIS SITE!

Please, please, please - somebody fix this thing!!!

(I've had to re-login so many times I'm starting to think its a plot to take away my identity.)
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

And now it's posting my messages even before I'm done with them - with that lovely blue So Sorry logo.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Please,from me too,is it my aol address that is giving me such problems here? I enjoy this forum so much I hate to complain but this had been a full week of difficulties when posting. Right now my password is so weird and I don't dare change it for fear of getting booted off the forum. I want to write a trip report but don't want to put the work into it and not be able to post it. Please get things back to good working order. Deborah
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:54 AM

I think all of us, regardless of our service provider, are having problems with the site. I wouldn't risk a long message as I have typed a couple only to lose all of the work to the big blue logo. And I have also had to use my password each time I reply to a message. I'm sure the website administrators are aware of the problem and it would be nice if they gave us an update.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:03 AM

If you want to post a trip report, type it in Word, save it as .txt, copy it and paste it here. If your work disappears because the site is having problems, you'll still have your saved copy.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Don't the word documents have all those extra ???? marks and """" and lots of extra things when they get pasted on here, at least that's my impression. Thanks for clearing that up if they don't. Deborah
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM

(Of course, I had to log in again - TWICE - to post this)

DeborahAnn: Yes, a pasted Word document will have all those ??? and extra symbols. But that is better than losing you report. Using " in Word is the biggest (tho' not only) culprit so you can minimize the probles by omitting that sort of thing. And you can edit you entry before hitting "post my reply"

Or you can type your report directly into Fodors -- BUT highlight the entire text and copy it. Then if fodors eats it you can re-post.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM

To clarify -- highlight in the text box and copy BEFORE you hit post.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
DeborahAnn- They do (pasted Words docs have extra ??"&quot, but people familiar with the board realize that is why it happens (that the text has been pasted in). Sorry for the bad sentence but hope it explains it.

nytraveler- I know what you mean. I've tried to remain calm by reminding myself "it's only an internet forum" but that isn't working, which then reminds me how addicting this board is!!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:17 AM
rex

I actually hate adding to this thread since it is so rude, and shows a total a lack of gratitude to our hosts to have such an exclamatory "ORDER" to Fodors.

Do you really think that they aren't working on it?

But I reply to those who seem to think that quote marks and apostrophe problems are inevitable when postings are typed in Word first. The problem is easy to fix. Save as &quot;.txt&quot; first and then re-open, copy and paste. You'll get an error message that says you will lose all formatting (which is true - - and the formatting is the problem you are trying to get rid of) - - so if the formatting is important to you for other reasons, then just save it twice. Once as .doc file <i>in</i>Word, and once as a .txt file for cut/paste insertion here.

Or just use &quot;Notepad&quot; or &quot;WordPad&quot; where it is the default to save as a TXT file.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:03 AM

This site needs a serious fix. Can't post, get blue umbrellas, hard to open a post, hard to go to a different forum, and everything is sooooo ssllloooowwwwww.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:46 AM

I don't get it. I haven't logged onto this site in months. I have the Europe talk board bookmarked and when I come here I'm already logged in. I can't remember the last time I got &quot;booted off&quot;.
I do sometimes have problems posting or bringing up posts. But if I just click again when I see that blue umbrella or a &quot;can't find&quot; message, it comes right up. Maybe once or twice I had to click a couple of times. And although I've lost the page when clicking &quot;post my reply&quot;, I just hit the back arrow and it brings it back and I reclick to make it post.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Patrick, I live in USA so I post on USA forum too. Also occasionally I visit other forums (if you didn't read &quot;who travels with sheets&quot; on Other forum you're missing lots of fun!). And if I have to click twice or refresh it means for me the website is not working properly.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
According to alexa.com, this site's loading time is slower than 89% of all sites tracked.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:20 PM

Anybody else getting gray error message on the top of the screen saying something about translation error?

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM

I am also getting this error... annoying!

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:30 PM
Queridisima

Are there crying babies on this board?
Please, this is a free service and we get so much information from it. So there are a few bugs! Fodors will fix it. Maybe not in a New York minute, but it will be resolved!

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM

Queri, how will Fodor's know about bugs if we won't tell them?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM

ohmigod, now the t is having conversations with itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -