Five things not to miss in Paris

Sep 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Five things not to miss in Paris

Spending 3 days in paris this weekend. What would I be crazy to miss please...
Sep 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Climbing Eiffel Tower
Notre-Dame Cathedral
Louvre
Walk from the Louvre thru Tuileries gardens, over Place d Concorde up to Champs-Elysees
Seine boat trip
Sep 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Since you already know the major tourist spots, here are five less obvious things I would not miss:

1)Lunch or tea at Laduree, Rue Royale location--ask to be seated upstairs.

2)Chocolat noir ice cream at Berthillon behind Notre Dame (across the bridge)

3)Clignancourt and/or Port de Vanves Antiques market

4)The food market on the Rue Mouffetard

5)Strolling through the Tuileries and Luxembourg Gardens
Sep 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I wouldn't miss hot chocolate at Angelina's. I googled and found this report by another tourist to Paris who enjoyed it and has yummy pictures to boot! http://parisdaily.hi-fipop.com/2005/05/angelina.html
Sep 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Luxembourg Gardens

Drinking wine in cafes
Sep 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Pastries, cheese, wine, sitting in a cafe watching the world go by and shopping!!!!!!
Sep 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I enjoyed filling up my 1-liter water bottle in a wine store with red wine from the vat for only One Euro.
Sep 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Take your most comfortable (but good looking!) shoes and just walk, walk, walk, stop in a different cafe for a cafe au lait many times along the way, and just go where your feet take you. Around each corner and square are more surprises! I agree with all the rest of the posters also. Walk along the Seine and cross each bridge in a different direction, stand on each bridge, look around at the view, and dance for the sheer joy of being in Paris!!! Don't sleep if you can help it.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Sep 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Ste. Chapelle
Notre Dame
Louvre
Sep 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Pausanias

Browse through Fauchon.

Walk down the Rue de la Paix to the Place Vendome and environs. Resolve to make yourself worthy of such a setting!

Have a few drinks at a cafe.

After Notre Dame, cross the bridge to the Ile St-Louis. Look back at the cathedral and wander the streets. What would you do to live here?

Make reservations for dinner at a good bistro. There are dozens if not hundreds to choose from. If you can't do it for all three nights, make sure you do for your last.

I'm back only a little over two weeks and already . . .

Sep 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM
ira

Sunday brunch at the Jacquemart-Andre' Museum.

http://www.culturespaces.com/

Sep 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks everyone, some lovely posts, makes me want to be there now! Like the ideas of wine whilst watching the world go by. Any suggestions on where we can eat mussels (lunch time) in a nice setting?

(I have posted an earlier sample itinery if anyone is interested..)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34866044
Sep 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Leon's is chain that serves mussels and frites. There are many choices on the menu and the food is pretty good. There is one on St. Germain near the St. Germain metro stop.
Sep 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
AllyPally

A few moments on the Pont des Arts, watching the bateaux mouches, the Eiffel Tower twinkling... My husband proposed to me on this bridge. Sigh.

Sep 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Just do lots of walking. The city is gorgeous, and walking through it is delightful.

St. Chapelle was one of my favorite places we visited. The stained glass truly is breathtaking.

Eat lots of chocolate! There are tons of chocolate shops throughout the city. I liked Cacao et Chocolate (their hot chocolate was amazing) and Jean Paul Hevin.

The macaroons at Laduree really are worth the hype!

Have a wonderful trip!
Tracy
Sep 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Just got back, 3(4) things we enjoyed:

- View from top of the Arc de Triomphe
- Stained glass windows of St Chappelle
- Viewing Eiffel from Trocadero at night
&
- Falafel on Rue Rosiers in Marais
Sep 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Spend a few moments at the Arc de Triomphe, considering all the history that Paris has seen, including goosestepping Nazi soldiers and liberating American GIs.
Sep 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM

1. The boat ride - vedettes pont neuf if i recall properly at sunset. This is the best scenic boat ride for me ever. So much to see and Paris really is magical esp. at sundown and coming back you will see all the lights coming up - including the eiffel tower light show.

2. Relaxing at the Tuileries gardens. My husband and I made the mistake of seeing to many things in so little time. In hindsight, I should have relaxed more and just enjoyed the sights sitting at some park bench.

3. Amorino's gelato! I think it is much better than Berthillon and they are definitely more generous in their servings.

4. Walk as far as your feet will take you. True, the subway is very efficient but there is so much to see. I think we walked from Notre Dame to Arc de Triomphe on our last day.
Sep 20th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Kir Royales. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
Sep 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM

We were just there for 3 1/2 days this past weekend. It's warm...no long sleeves except perhaps on the river at night. (lots of women still wearing sandals.) If you won't have A/C, take something tres sheer to sleep in, though you'll end up pulling the blanket over you before dawn.

For mussels: try the left bank cafe, "Petit Pont", right across from Notre Dame at the bridge of the same name. Sidewalk tables in a pretty setting.

Right behind there, you will also find lots of enticing restaurants, windows filled with meats roasting over open spits. (Next to Saint Severin church.) We ate at the "Marathon". Delicious---and singing waiter to boot!

At the Tuillerie Gardens, drop into one of the sandwich shops along Rue de Rivoli. Pick up lunch ("a emporter"---to go) and snag yourself one of the benches or lawn chairs in the Gardens. Great lunch! Walk it off with a stroll to Place de la Concorde, then hop a bus up to the Arc. From there, catch the Kleber metro to the Eiffel Tower---just before the tower---after the Passy stop---this metro comes above ground to cross the river. Terrific view of the tower!

Behind Notre Dame, at the bridge over to Isle St. Louis, there's an accordian player in the afternoon/evening. Sit at the little cafe at the bridge and enjoy the view and the music.

We had a simple, early dinner at a cafe the night we planned to take the Seine river cruise from Pont Neuf. The waiter corked a bottle of wine for us and gave us plastic cups for the ride. Sun doesn't set until 8pm, so plan your ride for after 8:30.

At Musee D'Orsay, don't miss the open terrace beside the cafe on the top floor. Great views!

Unusual for us, we didn't go to any "fine" restaurants this time. Stuck with cafes/bistros...very good and we were astonished at how cheap it was. One unbelievable experience: Le Taverne de Sergent Recruteur (Isle St. Louis). Upon seating, they start bringing food...lots of food! A terrine of soup. Huge basket of mixed sausages. Bread. Pate. A cutting board and butcher knife. And the biggest salad basket you ever saw (you "make" your own). You choose your main course: chicken, duck, lamb, steak. Then dessert. Not to mention, all the wine is included! All for 80 euros for 3 persons!

We also enjoyed the Cluny museum. So much to write about, so little time. Sigh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO