Reload this Page >

five days in positano-what to do & where to eat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:21 AM
kate

kiki&anyone else please help-arriving first week in Oct.--then renting a car &heading to Maratea/Basilicata & on to Puli.What to see & do???

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Carol

The only restaurant we've been to in Positano was Chez Black. It's way down at the beach area. The food and service were very good, and I would definitely recommend it.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Julie

La Cambusa on the landing just above the beach is also a good place to eat as is the place on the landing across from Cambusa--Something or other Bacco. <BR><BR>We took a day trip by ferry or hydrofoil to Capri, another day to Amalfi. One day we drove to Ravello. Just walking about Positano is also fun. It's a magical area.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:26 PM
kate

Thanks Carol--will check out Chez Black<BR>Where did you stay?<BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:34 PM
kate

Cannot wait to see Positano--it sounds magical--Capri is on our agenda.Hope to stay in Hotel L'Ancora.Thanks for the advice.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Jade

topping for me!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Jill

A couple of add on questions about Positano:<BR>Would you recommend renting a car?<BR>Does anyone have recommendations for lovely, romantic lodging (honeymoon)?<BR>If coming from Washington, DC, would you recommend flying directly to Naples or flying to Rome and renting a car or taking the train?<BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:22 PM
donna

Kate: Don't know if you've booked hotel yet, if you haven't check out a small B&B another post turned me onto in Positano. casateresa.it. We booked for October (100 euro ) I've emailed 2 different people that stayed there they both said it was magical. Have a great time.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:34 AM
kate

Thanks Donna--booked to stay in the L'Ancora--recommended on this site--staying from 4th Oct. to 9th Oct.Enjoy your trip--maybe will bump into you!!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Julia

I have been monitoring this thread as we are traveling to Positano Sept 9-14. We have booked a villa so unfortunately I can't help out with the hotel question, but I was wondering what the best way is to get to Positano. We are flying into Naples - which can easily be done for under $200 R/T on Alitalia out of London (we booked separately from WDC to London and save a lot). <BR><BR>Anyway, I have heard that it is difficult to have a car in Positano - and you really don't need one - but I can't seem to find a way to get there except by car. Does anyone have any advice for me (and Kate, who originally asked the question..)<BR><BR>Thanks so much.<BR>Julia

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Jon

I definitely recommend having a car on the Amalfi Coast. There are busses available that go to neighboring towns, but a car will allow you to be on your own schedule. We visited several areas of the coast (Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento) and used our car every day we were there. Driving the coast is a bit of an adventure; there are several posts here about it. Many people make it sound like a death-defying experience but I've never read a post about anyone getting into an accident. Just be careful and enjoy the scenery.<BR><BR>We stayed at Le Sirenuse in 2001 for our honeymoon. I strongly recommend it; great facility, great service, well worth the money. We had 1 dinner at the dining room there and it was by far the best dining experience we had in Positano.<BR><BR>Julia, you can get from Naples to Positano via the bus system but I haven't done it. I know the specifics are on this board somewhere; you may have to search if no one posts here. Some hotels offer pickup service (I know Le Sirenuse does) from the Naples airport.<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>j.<BR>