Search

Fiumicino

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiumicino

Next May we'll be spending two days in Rome pre-cruise, one post. Since we'll have to be at the airport by 7:00 a.m. we'd like to stay in or near Fiumicino. Looking at Fiumicino I don't see a whole lot there that would interest us and am wondering if there is a town near Fiumicino that would give us another take on Italy? Something laid back, beautiful scenery. I've looked at the Tuscan region but it seems like those would be at least a one and a half hour drive from FCO which I'm trying to avoid. Our other option is to stay in Fiumicino and take a train into Rome for another day but looking more for a day/city that won't have a lot of hustle and bustle. TIA for your help.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ostia Antica and the beach?
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, your flight departure time could change a couple of times in the next 8 months. If your check-in gets any earlier, I'd just stay near FCO.

I'm not very fond of the seaside towns in this area, but several years ago we attended a wedding at La Posta Vecchia in Ladispoli. Wow, what a hotel. Roman villa, Renaissance home of the Orsinis, and residence-cum-residence of J. Paul Getty. Much of his collection is still there. If there's a chance of a splurge, this is a truly unique property.

One inland place that might work for you is Bracciano on the lake of the same name. A little over an hour from Civitavecchia and a little under an hour from FCO. Pretty views of the lake, an attractive town, a castle to visit, a few reasonably good restaurants... Look at Hotel Villa Clementina.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 10:51 PM

Unless you stay at the airport hotel no reason to stay in Fiumicino. Taking a cab from Fiumicino to FCO isn't a huge time saving when compared to taking a cab from central Rome.

With an early flight I wouldn't stay outside of Rome just in case Murphy hits. If you're in Rome worst case you find a cab. If you're in some small town and your car breaks down you miss your flight.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.ostiaantica.beniculturali.it/

only about a km.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and additional things to think of such as a car breaking down and possibility of other transportation being slim. An extra night in Rome might be in the plans. I mean how terrible would that be lol. We're staying in the Piazza Navona center pre-cruise. A stay in Trastevere or Borghese area could be a possibility since I'm not sure we'll be able to check out either of those pre-cruise. Thoughts on those anyone?
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 05:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed in Borghese area once and we did not care for being so far out of central Rome where we walked most places.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 06:29 PM

I think I'd wait a few months before making a decision. Go ahead and make reservations you can cancel, but leave yourselves open to other options in the event your departure time changes to later in the morning/day.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 01:48 AM

We almost always stay in central Rome when we have an early flight from Fiumicino. You can get a taxi or a private car service with a guaranteed price, and the cost of a taxi from Fiumicino or Ostia could be higher even though the trip is shorter. For an early flight, when there's little traffic, the trip from central Rome takes no more than half an hour.

On our most recent trip through Fiumicino, we decided to stay at the Airport Hilton, because we were arriving in Rome late in the afternoon from our home in Le Marche. We won't do that again. The hotel was expensive, its restaurant was expensive and mediocre, and it was a long walk from the hotel to the terminal.

I also once stayed at an off-site hotel when I missed a connection, and I would prefer that in the future to the Airport Hilton. At least they had a shuttle to the airport, avoiding the long walk. However there was still the lack of restaurant options.

My preference is definitely to stay in central Rome. If the flight is not terribly early, I stay near Termini station and take the Leonardo Express to the airport. If the flight is very early, and the train isn't running yet, I stay anywhere in central Rome and get a taxi or car service to the airport.

Last edited by bvlenci; Aug 22nd, 2022 at 01:50 AM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 04:45 AM

I just asked the same question over on TA, as we will be returning a car and heading to the airport at 9 AM for a 1 PM flight(a few weeks from now in September). I got answers ranging from Fiumicino has a nice waterfront, 15 minutes from FCO, to "you're crazy to chance it" to the names of some wonderful towns that are 30 minutes by car from FCO. Those towns (coming from the south):Frascati, Castel Gandolfo, Nemi. Marino; north of fCO: Cerveteri. Tarquinia. Ceri. They did all look charming. We don't want to be more than 30 minutes, so will probably end up in Fiumicino. Have a look at my question, it's in their Fiumicino forum. (And I agree, wait to decide, since it's only one night...you have plenty of time). Have a great trip!
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 08:55 AM

IMO, with the exceptions of Cerveteri and Ceri, none of those towns described as "30 minutes by car from FCO" are that close. More like 40-45 minutes. Tarquinia is at least an hour. The ones to the south ARE within 30 minutes of Ciampino Airport.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jean
IMO, with the exceptions of Cerveteri and Ceri, none of those towns described as "30 minutes by car from FCO" are that close. More like 40-45 minutes. Tarquinia is at least an hour. The ones to the south ARE within 30 minutes of Ciampino Airport.
Jean, I know what you mean. Google tells me "32" minutes, but we all know how that can change, especially in the AM with commuters... thanks for the feedback.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 06:59 AM

In my experience, it isn't that the drive time can change, it's that the google estimate isn't accurate to begin with. I always add 15-20% to the time in Italy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 07:39 AM

Personally the Google estimates are fairly accurate but I'm here so I check just before I leave. Google if you check right now is using current traffic and road conditions.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Will take a look at the TA link and also the cities listed above. I'll go ahead a make a reservation at or near the airport and cancel if needed depending on what the flight situation looks like in a few months.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Personally the Google estimates are fairly accurate but I'm here so I check just before I leave. Google if you check right now is using current traffic and road conditions.
I agree that the Google estimates are fairly accurate, based on the time of day. If you're in the US and checking the travel time at 10 PM, Google will make the estimate based on conditions at 4 AM in Italy.

If anything, I sometimes find the time estimates to be exaggerated on the high side. We went to the Val Gardena about a year ago. We were told the trip should take four hours, but Google estimated 10 hours when we left home. In the end, it took seven hours with heavy traffic north of Bologna. I can only assume that the traffic was even worse earlier in the day.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 03:34 AM

The Google times are always being updated according to traffic. I remember one trip driving to France. My first leg was almost six hours long. One hour into the drive Google notices an accident near my destination and tries to convince me to reroute. If I'd listened I would have added two hours to my drive. Instead I just kept going and the accident was cleared by the time I arrived.