Search

Fiume, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 10:05 AM
Dottie

Fiume, Italy

Has anyone heard of this town in Italy?? It's supposed to be in Northern Italy, Piedmont area. My grandfather is from there. I have never found it on any map.Can anyone please help?!! Thanks a million!!!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:31 AM
nancy

I seem to be the Dottie Topper! <BR>Hope someone can answer your question. <BR>good luck

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:36 AM
nancy

P.S <BR>Fiume means river in italian. <BR>Maybe that will be a help? <BR>there is the fiumelatte, which is the river of Milk, but that is in the Lombardy area.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:04 AM
clo

As far as I know Fiume used to be an Italian town in the former Italian region of Istria, belonging to Croatia (I think it's Croatia, and i apologize if I am wrong) since the end of the II WW. <BR>Many Italian people in those territories had to escape to Italy or to other countries, many were killed and tortured by the Communists of Tito (jugoslavia) because they were all considered Fascists. Fiume has been destriyed, and it's not on any updated map. <BR>It's notheast, and not in Piedmont area which is northwest. Are you sure about Piedmont? The story of Fiume, Istria, could explain why your gradfather escaped, and why the city is not on maps. If you think I might be right, look up fot Fiume Istria on the web, you'll find lots of (sad) information. <BR>An Italian from Venezia Giulia

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:47 PM
Dottie

thank you Nancy & Clo for your replies. Both very interesting! My mother always talks about Piedmont, where my grandfather is from, but I will check out the Istria area. If anyone else has heard of Fiume, Italy, possibly in Piedmonte, please shed some light on this mystery! Thanks a million!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:03 PM
Paula

Fiume is now in Croatia (this town is called Rijeka in Croatian). I've known several people from there and it's a big town nowadays.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 02:43 AM
Phil

Dottie: <BR> <BR>Fiume, nowadays called Rijeka, is situated at the top of Kvarner Bay immediately east of Istria. <BR> <BR>Until 1919 Fiume was part of the Hapsburg Empire (belonging to the Hungarian crown, its German name being St. Veit am Flaum), a free port on the Adriatic sea and seat of the Austro-Hungarian naval academy. <BR>Italy laid claim to the city after world war I and was eventually awarded it after it having been a free city from 1920 to 1922. <BR> <BR>After world war II, Italy had to cede all territories east of Trieste to Yugoslavia. After Croatia seceded from Yugoslavia in 1990, inhabitants of Rijeka (as it is now called), were handed their 5th nationality in a century.

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

If anyone has a story about their family from Fiume, please share w/ me. I am a graduate student in history completing research about Fiume. please visit this website: http://www.rememberfiume.com/ Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you!