Croatia or Italy

Search

Croatia or Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia or Italy

Hi-I am traveling with a friend-and we are undecided between Croatia (Dubrovnik, Split and Hvar) and southern Italy (Rome, Capri, Sorrento)-we are both single and afraid that southern Italy may be too much for couples-and we are not a couple!

Any suggestions on which trip we should do? This is for Late August into September...thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM

I'm not quite clear as to what kind of problems you expect in southern Italy. Rome is one of the biggest cities in Europe and deals with millions of tourists every year. Capri and Sorrento also are centers for tourism from all over the world and shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, Croatia is beautiful and well worth a visit.

Pick the area you prefer to visit and go there first! Next year go to the other.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

What I mean is this-I am better off putting of southern Italy to go one day with a boyfriend? This seems like a very romantic part of the world to go to and I do not want to be surrounded by couples and families....
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM

At least I understand now...

Southern Italy is nice, although I think Venice and northern Italy are more romantic.

Croatia is beach and surf, and more beach and surf. We enjoyed it very much, particularly Hvar!!! It's quite different from Italy.

I suggest you check out my website which will give you good descriptions of many trips to Italy, and one to Croatia. Maybe, this will help you decide. Feel free to email me with any questions. (email on webpage) Here's the URL:

http://www.travel.stv77.com/

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Funny, but I had exactly the same dilemma the last 2 years (although it's a good one to have). Based on your situation, I would strongly recommend Croatia over Southern Italy. 2 years ago, I went to Rome, Capri and the Amalfi coast with a friend. Last year, I went to Dubrovnik, Hvar Island and Split with another friend. Both countries are stunning and are worth seeing. But since you asked about couples vs. singles, I think Croatia is a much better call. On both of my trips, we were 2 single guys. While Southern Italy was beautiful, we found it to be mostly couples and, particularly in Capri, wealthy Italian and New York families on vacation. Not much of a singles scene there (although we did have fun). By comparison, Croatia was also beautiful, but had a much more lively singles scene (perhaps because it is a bit less expensive, although not much). Although Dubrovnik was more laid back, I really think you should see it before it gets too touristy (and it's getting there quickly). It really is stunning (and there are plenty of single, young people). Hvar Island had a good mix of young partiers and older yacht-types (particularly Carpe Diem). In short, I think you'd enjoy Italy much more with a boyfriend (although you really can't go wrong with either place). One more thing: the people in Croatia and Italy are as beautiful as the countries themselves. Have fun.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Why not do both?

We did -- three days in Ravello, cross the country from Salerno to Bari and catch the overnight ferry to Korcula (actually Dubrovnik, but stay on it to Korcula), and then return to Dubrovnik.

The contrast is interesting. But try to delay the ferry until September, as the Italians really funnel into Dalmatia in August.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:21 PM

That's a very good suggestion. While I was in Croatia, I met a few people that took the ferry across the Adriatic from Italy to Croatia. Also, I was in Croatia in mid-August and noticed there were an overwhelming number of Italians (not a bad thing if you speak Italian).
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM

We were having the same dilemma about where to vacation, and, as metlc suggested, we decided to do both. We love Italy and have a strong urge to return but also want to go to Croatia. Our itinerary isn't set in stone yet, but basically we will fly into Zagreb and out of Rome. We will do the southern half of Croatia (will fly Croatia Air to Dubrovnik) and then overnight ferry to Ancona, Italy from Split, where the remainder of the vacation will be split between Umbria and Rome. For info on the ferries, check out http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2.

good luck!
Tracy