Search

Fish and Chips?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:36 AM
bonnie

Fish and Chips?

Going to London next month and trying to track down the BEST fish and chips...have been to Geales and the Seashell. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Vicx

I'm a push over for fish and chips in England. May two favorites in central London are Two Brothers Fish and Natalius Fish neither has any atmosphere, but both have great fish and chips.<BR><BR>I love to sample fish and chips in pubs in small towns in England. As I say, I'm a push over, I don't remember having any that were bad.<BR><BR>Just my tastes, but I like Chinese restaurants in London's Chinatown. Outside of London, the Chinese food is pretty bad.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Nancy

Try Simpsons on the Strand. We had a piece of fish that was the size of my arm - and it was delicious too. It's an old institution.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Vic

There are a number of Simpons. It's a venerable restaurant with lots of hertiage. It's best known for dover sole.<BR><BR>I think the restaurant has to be a little down and dirty to really appreciate fish and chips.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Julie

One of my favorites is:<BR><BR>North Sea Fish<BR>7-8 Leigh Street (Bloomsbury)<BR>London, WC1<BR>207-387-5892<BR><BR>I was turned on to this place from locals and have made an effort to stop in every time I get back to London. Great quality and low prices.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:20 PM
bonnie

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try to get to these three places. I may end up eating nothing but fish and chips the entire stay.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:49 PM
MaryC

Ben Haines, our resident London expert, mentions one that is RIGHT BESIDE Victoria Coach Station (Not Victoria Station). And he says it's the best. I ate there (it's about a 10-15 minute walk from Victoria Station). I've been trying to do a search on Fish & Chips to find it but it has been talked about too many times.<BR><BR>Ben is in Serbia right now, I believe, but maybe he'll pop in to help us out.<BR><BR>Ben is it possible to provide us again with directions how to get there? And did we ever find out the name of the place?<BR><BR>Thank you ever so much~ MaryC : )

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:04 PM
KenCT

Well, I'm not Ben, but I met Julie at the Fodorite luncheon last fall in New York and suspect that her recommendation would be right on the money. Besides, I usually stay in Bloomsbury when in London. So I did a Google search on "North Sea Fish" and sure enough a website called "London Eats" lists it as one of the ten best fish and chips places. Others: Faulkner's, Hackney; Costas Fish Restaurant, Notting Hill; Jimmy's Fish And Chip Bar, Walthamstow; Rock And Sole Place, Covent Garde; Seashell, Marleyborne; Brady's, Wandsworth; Fryer's Delight, Holborn; Fish Central, Barbican; Master Super Fish, Waterloo.<BR><BR>Now my question. Is there a site for London like MapQuest in the US, where you can enter a street address and get a map for the location? I need to find some of these places!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:01 PM
traveller

When I wanted to try fish & chips, I asked a tube station attendant where he would go. Worked like a champ, and I have repeated it again in other cities in England, asking bus drivers, train station workers, etc. They'll steer you in the right direction.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:46 PM
bonnie

Wow...I'm amazed at all the suggestions, thank you so much. KenCT, I can return the favor by giving you the website for London maps of street addresses you're looking for...it's streetwise.co.uk <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:51 PM
MaryC

Bonnie, I just tried accessing that website & I get one called "The Best of Health"?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Ann

For KenCT - try multimap.co.uk or streetmap.co.uk.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Sandy

Chinese is the best way to go and ive never been to london, but i reacon the midlands have wkd ones!!!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:23 AM
bonnie

My apologies, I must have been thinking of one thing and typing another...the mapping website I meant was streetmap.co.uk. Sorry.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:02 AM
david west

......So I did a Google search on "North Sea Fish" and sure enough a website called "London Eats" lists it as one of the ten best fish and chips places. Others: Faulkner's, Hackney; Costas Fish Restaurant, Notting Hill; Jimmy's Fish And Chip Bar, Walthamstow; Rock And Sole Place, Covent Garde; Seashell, Marleyborne; Brady's, Wandsworth; Fryer's Delight, Holborn; Fish Central, Barbican; Master Super Fish, Waterloo......<BR><BR>Well as a native I know a few of these so here's an english perspective:<BR><BR>Costas Notting Hill (next to my old office): Brilliant but basic (cheap too, massive portions). Local hangout, not really a "restuarant". Is at the tatty end of portobello road so you could combine it with a trip to the market (Incidentally the best morrocan restaurants in London are just round the corner in Golborne Rd)<BR><BR>Rock and sole place (It's in Endell St): Tourist trap. Pricey and over rated. (Also near an old workplace of mine)<BR><BR>Fish: Waterloo. If you're eating fish near Waterloo go to Whitebait. (Also near an ex office of mine. Is<BR>a pattern emerging).<BR><BR>There is also a place called Brady's in wandsworth that's worth a trip, but it gets very busy. (Not office this time - near my home)<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:19 AM
MaryC

FINALLY found the directions to the F&C shop near Victoria Coach Station;directions from Ben Haines on a previous thread:<BR><BR>"In Victoria Station find the platform with the highest number: it's near the Grosvenor Hotel. Walk out through a small passage to Buckingham Palace Road, turn left, walk past Victoria Place shopping Centre, past the corner for Eccleston Bridge, and at Elizabeth Bridge corner look right. There's the coach station, a monument of Art Deco. (Also, just beyond it, a good fish and chip shop, with a real deep fat frier, not the stuff they call "traditional" in West End pubs.) <BR><BR>Or, arrive at Victoria underground station. Ask the officers for the small stairs up to the bus stand (not the bus station). At that stand find the bus stop for busses 11 and 211. Pay the driver 70 pence, ask him to call out for Victoria Coach Sation, and go two stops."

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:35 AM
topper

Topping for Buzz.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
ttt-ttt

Lots of good feedback. Other suggestions?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Nancy

Anybody know the name of the fish and chips place by the Victoria Coach Station. By the way, we will arrive in a Sunday and it looks like many restaurants are closed on Sundays. Any ideas for a light dinner near Victoria Staion for that Sunday evening.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Shayne

Last summer we ate at the Fryer's Delight in Holborn and it was excellent! The place was kind of a hole in the wall, but it was cheap and very, very good. It was filled with locals who knew good value. It is fairly convenient if you are staying in Bloomsbury (10-15min walk from what I remember).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -