Firt trip to Italy

Apr 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Firt trip to Italy

We are plannning our first trip to Italy in September 3-14.
This is what what thinking for now

Eurofly from JFK to Naples on Sep 3rd departing at 1035pm and arrives at 110p

Villa Maria in Sorrento Sep 4 - 8, for 4 nights

Le Ranaie in San Gimignano Sep 8 - 11, for 3 nights

Atlantico in Rome Sep 11 - 14, for 3 nights

3 Days Italian Rail Pass 2nd Class

Eurofly from Rome to JFK on Sep 14 departing at 250pm and arrives at 605pm

Does this seem to be enough time in these places and has anyone ever been to these hotels?

Also we don't know much about Tuscany and I would like to be in a central location is San Gimignano the right place to stay?

Thanks so much
Sally

Apr 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM
schuba

first or flirt trip? looks good.

Apr 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Have you compared the rail pass price with point-to-point tickets? Usually passes in Italy don't save money unless you are traveling great distances.

Sounds like a nice trip.
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Villa Maria in Sorrento is very nice. The location is great. It's at the end of the walking street so it's perfect to go up one side and back down the other. It is however at a busy intersection and can get noisy. I find a street side balcony a fascinating place to watch the cars and vespas navigate through. You should have sound proof shutters for sleeping.
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:59 AM

How are you getting from Naples airport to Sorrento?

There's no train station in San G. Nearest is Poggibonsi, where you get a bus or a taxi.

It's frustrating to imagine you in the heart of Tuscany without a car. But you could manage a bus to Siena. So a day in San G and a day in Siena isn't bad.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Not sure how I'm going to get to Sorrento a friend of mine suggested getting a cab it's about 100 eu.
Hmm that' s what I thought about San G and that's really the last thing I want to do get on a train than a bus. What other town would you suggest that would be prime location for visiting Tuscany.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Naples to Sorrento is easy. Curreriviaggi.it offers direct bus connection, about an hour with a gorgeous view of the Sorrento coast and a very interesting and fun squeeze through the coastal towns. Alibus goes from the airport to the central train station then the port. You can take that and circumvesuvian train to sorrento or a hydrofoil from the port.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I would stay in Florence for the Tuscan portion of your trip.

It has the main train station - tons of things to see and do within the city itself, plus you can easily do daytrips to San Gimignano, Siena, Lucca, Pisa, all by train and/or bus.

If you leave Sorrento late morning of September 8th then I think that you will be getting in to Florence mid to late afternoon..you can just walk around the city center, see the Duomo, Baptistery, walk down to the Ponte Vecchio then dinner.

Day 2 in Florence could be wandering around, Uffizi, seeing David, Piazza Michealangelo, Boboli Gardens, etc.

Day 3 would be a day trip to Siena (you can take the bus from city center to city center and it only costs $13 Euro return) and spend the entire day in Siena.

Or

You could hook up with a winery tour, or a tour that goes to both San Gimignano (morning) and Siena (afternoon)

Or

If you love horses, you can do what we did and go on a horsebackriding/wine tasting tour. They pick you up in downtown Florence and drop you off 8 hours later very happy, very relaxed and you got to see some beautiful countryside and meet some wonderful people.

Any way you look at it though - it sounds like a great trip, I am totally jealous and I know you will have a fabulous time no matter what.

FYI - pack light...it's hot in Italy in the beginning of September.

Apr 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM
LJ

Though, personally, I would love the flexibility of having a car for both Sorrento and San G destinations, local buses and trains in Italy are a great alternative way to go...I agree you probably won't need the pass, just buy train tickets as you go.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Is the pass more expensive than buying ticket by ticket. How much is it to rent a car?
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Kittpom,

Check these two sites:

www.trenitalia.com for train schedules and prices

www.autoeurope.com for car rental

Buon viaggio!
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
MaureenB

We visited San Gimignano as a day-trip from Florence. The half-day visit was plenty, not a place I'd stay for multiple nights, though. I agree with the idea of staying in Florence, especially in September it won't be crowded, I'd guess. We were there in May and loved it. Lots of day-trips from there if you really must leave Florence! Have fun planning. (Also, double-check the idea of a rail pass. For such short trips, it might not make sense. Call BudgetEuropeTravel.com for help.)
>-

Apr 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I think the only problem I see is that there is not nearly enough time in Rome. I'd spend at least one more night there, if not two.

Jules
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Sounds that Florence is the best central location. How would I go about hooking up with a wine tour. Our favorite wines are Montepulciano and Chianti. Is that that's near Florence? Our first anniversary is on September 08.
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM
ira

Hi K,

> How would I go about hooking up with a wine tour. Our favorite wines are Montepulciano and Chianti. <

Do you want to visit a winery, or do you want to taste wine?

Apr 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

I think both right?
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
ira

Hi K,

I asked because many times people want to taste wines, not necessarily visit a winery to see how wines are made.

Still both?

Apr 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

We hope to vist and try or buy some wine