First Visit to Portugal

Search

First Visit to Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Visit to Portugal

My wife and I did the southern Spain 2 years ago and it was our best ever trip made. I am now planning for my first visit to Portugal in March. We are nearly retirement ages and love to visit places with rich cultures. We don't like driving and love the conveniences of public transportation. Here is my first stab at my itinerary of our planning and would love anyone to comment on it.

About 8 nights in Portugal
- will be arriving Lisbon from US in early morning hours so my plan is to go straight to the south for warmer climate on the first day
- catch a 4+ hrs train from Lisbon to Faro and stay overnight there.
- spend rest of day and also the next day in Faro and then take late afternoon Algarve regional train from Fago to Tariva
- home base in Tariva for 2/3 nights and will explore areas around Tariva. Welcome suggestions on where we can visit by train/bus and without a car. We will plan to stay in a pousadas while in Tariva.
- After Tariva, we plan to bus take to Lisbon for our second leg of the vacation.
- We will home base in Lisbon for the next 4 nights.
- Current plan is to spend 2 days just exploring Lisbon and another day to Sintra
- Where else can we consider for the rest of the trip based from Lisbon: day trip to Coimbra or Evora? Or day trip to Batalha-Fatima?
- Had consider Porto but it was just too far away.

I am in planning stage and would welcome any constructive suggestions.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in Lisbon for 4 days after a cruise in Sept.2016. A friend recommended
Inside Lisbon for tour to Sintra & Cascais.

https://www.insidelisbon.com/

We usually do things on our own but this small van tour (8 people) was excellent.
Our guide got us to Sintra and up to Pena Palace early ahead of the crowds. By the time we exited the palace the tour buses had arrived and the palace was getting packed. We had 1-1/2 hrs. to check out the town of Sintra on our own. The streets were wall to wall people exploring all the junk shops up and down the hills...not as good as expected. There was an excellent bakery on the Main Street for some of those yummy custard tarts though. That said, we thoroughly enjoyed the palace.

Next stop was Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point of Europe. Gorgeous views over the cliffs, a path to walk along while we listened to some musicians out by the water. Again we enjoyed our time there.

Next was Cascais, a lovely town on the water. About a 40 minute train ride from Lisbon if you go on your own. I don’t know what it will be like in March but in Sept. it was warm, the beaches crowded, restaurants, shops, cute streets with lots of flowers. We had 2 hrs. on our own. We had a fantastic lunch at John Bull restaurant and then just walked and explored. Cascais was a big hit with us and we would like to return one day.

All in all Inside Lisbon provided a wonderful 8 hr. day that was definitely worth the $100 per person cost. Check it out on the website above. Our friends who recommended it had such a good time they booked another tour the next day. We also would have done that except we were leaving.

They meet at The Hard Rock Cafe and when you see the other tours with 40-50 people getting on a bus you will be very glad to get in your small van.

Lisbon is beautiful. We especially enjoyed the Castle St. Jorge at the top of the hill,
We took a cab up and walked down stopping at Chapito for lunch recommended her on Fodors Forums. One of our best meals.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Portugal.html

Best advice for Lisbon.....skip the trams. Take a photo, that’s it. We bought tickets and threw them away. Every stop had at least 30 people waiting and the they crammed the people in like sardines. Cabs were very cheap.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 01:50 PM

Or day trip to Obidos -perfectly walled medieval city. Cascais area is also popular and very close.

Evora could be reached from Faro - I took trains between the two though buses may be faster.

I stayed in Tavira once and loved it but just spend a day there - nice beach area on an island accessible by boat but March may be too cold for taking to the water but views are nice. Tavira IMO is one of few Algarve towns not dominated by blah modern high rises - Faro is also a proper regional town and Lagos to me older looking and really sweet.

Porto just two hours I think by train from Lisbon would make a great day trip too - especially if into Port Wine house tours but Porto to me seemed like a perfect old-world looking city with lovely churches and neat tram ride to coast.

Anyway trains are good enough - if not up to western European standards in some ways - for lots on trains check www.seat61.com (great tips on discounted tickets); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I did Sintra as a day trip and from there took a bus to the most western point on European continent (farther out than even Ireland) and stopped at Cabo da Rabo with often humungous waves crashing in - then took bus to Cascais and back to Lisbon. Distances not very far and it was easy in a day - Sintra is small with castles the draw.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:58 PM

If you are flying from North America, it could be more convenient to continue on to Faro by air rather than train. TAP Portugal has at least four flights a day to Faro from Lisbon, and flies into some US cities. It is a partner with United which widens your choices. Faro is a tourist destination for Europeans so could have fare combinations from other gateway cities. A multi-destination search function for your whole trip will show routes into Faro (probably with a transfer somewhere) and home from Lisbon, saving time, and frequently not much more expensive than a simple round trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 02:43 AM

Hi,

Check if there are direct flights to Faro airport, you'll save 3 to 4 hours train ride.

In Faro you should visit the old city an make a day trip to Estoi, the rococo palace (http://www.algarve-tourist.com/Faro/...excursion.html

Tavira is an amazing village with beautiful islands.
There are 2 islands, Tavira and cabana island. These 2 are inside the natural parque of Ria Formosa where you can do a boat trip to see the flora and the water birds (30000 birds each year).
There are 11 km of sandy beach there. The most famous beaches are Tavira Island, Terra Estreita Beach, Cabanas Beach, Barril Beach, Lacém Beach and Homen Nú Naturist Beach.
Tavira is a ideal destination for nature lovers.
A little further inland you should check the waterfall of Pego do inferno in the village of São Estevão (https://www.guiadacidade.pt/en/poi-p...-inferno-17393)
These will keep you occupied for the 3 days.

For bus information you need to check to bus websites to better plan:

EVA Transportes: www.eva-bus.com/

RNE - Rede Nacional de Expressos: http://www.rede-expressos.pt/

RENEX - Rede Nacional de Transportes: http://www.renex.pt/

2 days in Lisbon + 1 day in Sintra + 1 day in Cascais/EStoril beach town. You'll not have time for more. The Arrabida natural park should be in your list also (50 km away from LIsbon). Most beautiful beaches of all Lisbon.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments so far and it's a lot to digest. I am looking into the flight to Faro also as mentioned above. I will comeback later on the development of our travel plan. Cheers
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I picked up the Fodor's Portugal guide book recently and noticed that it recommends Faro as the home base for visiting the Algarve region. I now question my choice of Tavira as home base. Is it because Faro a more central place to travel by train?

I am also looking for a reasonable place to stay in Lisbon and noticed that prices are much higher over the Easter weekend (Mar 28 to Apr 1) where I will be. I might need to consider B&B for my stay in Lisbon as I want to stay in the center. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 08:54 AM

Lunch in Lisbon

Just trying out the new photo attachment for Fodors. This is lunch at Chapito in Lisbon
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Portugal.html

Here is where we stayed as suggested by a Fodorite. Excellent property right on Rossio Sq. In the city center.
We were able to walk to so many sites.
Don’t know your budget but check it out.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure why, on such a short visit, you are spending time in the Algarve, which is tourist central. Much better to spend the time in Lisbon and points north.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Well, the weather here in North America has been blooding freezing (pardon the language) and just wanted to go south on this visit for some warmer climate.
Again, first visit to Portugal and I am sure I will come back to explore more so I will give up going up north on this trip and stay in Lisbon for my second-leg duration.
Found this on Fodor's forum from 2013 for Lisbon visit and it seems to fit my schedule for the 4-day stay in Lisbon. Welcome your comment on the itinerary shown below:1st day: Lisbon
Alfama district: Sé cathedral, Castle Saint George, Walk the narrow streets, Santa Luzia Viewpoint, Saint Vincent Monastery, The Pantheon, Tiled buildings photos, Fado venue
Timeout market food taste
28 tram ride

2nd Day: Lisbon

Belem district: Jeronimos monastery, Belem Tower, MAAT museum,
Coches museum, Belem custard tarts, Ajuda Palace
Baixa district: Rua Augusta Arch, Santa justa lift, Gloria Lift, São Pedro de Alcantara Viewpoint, cobblestones of Rua Augusta and Praça do Rossio. Estrela Church. Rooftop bar

3rd day: Sintra
Pena Palace, Moors castle, Regaleira Palace, City Palace, Roca cape viewpoint

4st day: Cascais (by train, very, very easy 1/2 hour ride)
Boca do inferno cave, Cascais harbour, guincho beach, Cascais coast bike tour (maybe 1/2 a day)
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds very rushed. Click on my name for my Lisbon TR.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 02:33 AM

Hi,

Faro is the capital of the Algarve Region and is right in the middle of the Region, it's also the HUB for all transports. So, if you want to travel around the region, Faro will be the ideal base.
I didn't say that previously because you said explicitly in your thread that you want to visit Tavira. If you want to visit Tavira, staying in Faro doesn't make sense. You should stay in Faro to travel around the region, because Faro is at the same distance between Vila Real Santo António (est) and Lagos(west), for example .
Easter weekend is very busy in Lisbon because lots of Spaniards will visit the city in this period. If you want to stay in Airnbnb apartment you should choose places located in the Alfama district, Bairro Alto or Chiado/Bica district.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 07:24 AM

For Sintra, 4 monuments in one day it's impossible/too rushed. The Pena Palace has an amazing park surrounding it, same thing with the Regaleira Palace - I would allow, easily, two hours per palace. Plus the Sintra National Palace (1+1/2hr) and the Moors Castle (1+1/2hrs). Trip from Sintra to Cape of Roca is half an hour (minimum) x2 because you have to come back Let's assume you have a snack (not lunch) and walk the Old Town in 1hr. Total time = 9hrs.
An this "shedule" doesn't consider transport time between monuments.
You will have to choose or split it into 2 days.