First visit to Germany in late November

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:56 AM
Rachel

First visit to Germany in late November

Hello,

We are planning to visit Germany in late November. Is this a bad time of year to visit? Also, any suggestions on cities to visit? We'll have approximately 9 days. We'd ideally like to go to a few places during this time and really get a feel for Germany.

Thank you!
Rachel

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:12 AM
TBH

Rachel,

Have visited Germany twice in November and the weather can be rainy and sonewhat cold, possibly some snow as well.

OTOH, it is usually less crowded and you shouldn't let a little bit of rain and cool weather deter, just be prepared. Be certain to carry an umbrella, dress in layers, bring gloves, suck it up and enjoy it!

Sugested cities:

You do not say where you are landing, but most flights come to Frankfurt, so let me try from there.

1. Travel the Mosel Rvier valley to Trier. Visit Burg Eltz, a magnificaent knights castle, great tour. Trier is oldest city in Germany and has very good Roman ruins.

2. Then back to Coblenz and up the Rhine River Valley to Cologne for quick visit to beautiful cathedral. Then off to Rothenberg, a medieval walled city and down the Romantic Strasse (road) to Munich (my favorite)...Munich is good for about 3 to 4 days.

3. From Munich take a day trip to Fussen and Ludwig's castle, Newschwanstein (sp). Worth the trip.

4. Then accross the Black forest to Freiburg for a night. Nice little town and great cathedral.

5. Then over to Strasburg France, then to Heidleburg and back to Frankfurt.

That'sa start.

TBH

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Linda

Last year the weather in Nov/Dec was milder than usual--40's. At the very end of Nov. a number of the towns has Christmas markets--great fun and the gluewein is deliciously hot! The Bavarian region is most popular and beautiful but, not to spend a few days in Berlin would be an opportunity missed. Dresden is just a 2-hour ride south of Berlin and then you could cut across to Bavaria or vice-versa. You could do both and just get a taste of Bavaria and up the Rhine river. The good thing about traveling at that time is the lack of tourists and better prices. You do run a risk that there will be snow but that makes the Christmas markets even better.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:40 AM
Thomas

HI Rachel.
I am german and I can say that it is true- it might be rainy ,snowy and cold.
The South is always a bit more sunny so a trip to that region would be quite good. (Munich, Heidelberg, Romantic Road, and so on...) But you also asked for a real German feeling. Germany has a very interesting northern part as well with many pretty towns and a lot of activities. I would recommend Hamburg (great town)and a some very pretty towns near the baltic sea. (Schwerin, Stralsund, Wismar...)
If you have further questions, feel free to ask....

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Rachel

Thanks TBH, Linda, and Thomas for the information. I checked further into flights and it looks like we will be flying into Frankfurt. I think the cold weather is going to be just fine (we're coming from Manhattan). Out of curiousity, would we be better off renting a car to get to various cities or is there another mode of transportation that would be easier. I'm inclined to get a car so we can see more and have a little more freedom. Thanks again for the responses! Keep them coming!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Russ

The railway system is a very convenient way to get around, with frequent departures throughout the day that usually drop you off in the middle of whatever town you'll be visiting. For me, this beats parking fees, navigation hassles, winter road conditions, and night driving (and night comes quite early in the day at that time of year.) In the off-season, I usually enjoy my evenings more if I'm in a place that doesn't shut down at the first hint of dusk, which means that cities and larger towns comprise the bulk of my destinations. You might try to hit smaller places, whether by train (and Germany's small towns are generally well-served by train lines) or by car, earlier in the day.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:06 AM
xxx

We did our first trip to Germany in early November. We enjoyed some sunny days and some rainy, foggy days. We split our mode of transportation between car and train. We took the train between major cities and used public transportation while there. The train system is clean, punctual and easy to navigate. If you are from Manhattan, you are well aware of major city driving and parking woes. While in Bavaria and in the Mosel Valley and Trier, we had a car. This allowed us to get to quieter places. We limited our travel to areas south of Frankfurt (we'll do the north another time) simply due to time and mile limitations. We loved Trier and the Mosel valley and would highly suggest it. Be sure to check on the hours that attractions are open at that time of year. Many places reduce their hours on Nov. 1. We were not sorry to have visited at that time of year. While we missed the fully beauty of gardens, etc., we felt it was well-worth the trade off in less tourists and shorter lines, etc.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Jerry

Hi Rachel,

The Christmas markets may have started by then. You can do a search on this forum for them and pick a city. We have been to the ones in Koln and Aachen.
Nice.

Jerry

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:57 AM
TBH

Rachel,

I would suggest a combination of rail and car. Go on the web to DER Tours WWW.der.com) and you can evaluate the rail passes you may require.

Depending upon your travel plans, cities, etc you can go by rail up the Rhine River from Frankfurt Haupt Bahnhoff (main train station) to Cologne, take the KD boat cruise down the Rhine back to Coblenz and train over to Trier.

Many of the cities and towns mentioned in my earlier post can be reached by train. You would need a car to go from Munich to Fussen and Ludwig's castles and for travel through the Black Forest.

If you need some information regarding any of the cities and hotels in Munich pelase e-mail me.

TBH

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 08:23 AM
tjs

Are you traveling alone? I would stick to Western Germany..more friendly. I have been to Germany several times and I really enjoyed Cologne. Great city...amazing nightlife. I compare it to San Francisco, CA. You can do the Rhine River Valley. Very nice and plenty of things to do. If you feel adventurous...take hi-speed rail to Berlin and experience East/West for a few days. You will not be sorry. Berlin is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. I have been to 13 countries...and I love Berlin! Art, History, FUNKY & TRENDY. It is a must.

Weather....rainy, slightly chilly, but it you are used to it...it is much colder at home. Wear a vest and a sweater and you are o.k. Yes, bring a rain coat.

Good luck.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Bob

My wife and I did Germany in November for 5 years in a row. We are returning again this year to head to Rothenburg, Bavaria and Heidelberg. We always use a car 100%. It allows you to see the small towns and not have the hassle of train schedules and lugging bags.

Good first itinerary is to arrive Frankfurt and drive to Rothenburg via Wurzburg. Stay in Rothenburg two nights to enjoy the town. Drive south on Romantic Road stopping at Dinkelsbuhl and other small towns on the way. Arrive Garmisch for 3 or 4 nights and explore that area with the castles and Ettal Abbey plus Oberammergau and Linderhof. Can even venture to Innsbruck. Complete your time in Heidelberg for last few nights. Fun old town area and a close drive to Frankfurt airport to return home.

Other close area to Frankfurt airport is Rhine River or Mosel River. Both nice, but very very quiet in winter.

Prepare for cold, but it can also be sunny and nice. You never know. Take a jacket with a hood. It is great when that rain comes in and the umbrella is in the car. Long johns are also a must. They make cotton pants comfortable and warm.

The Christmas fairs begin this year on November 30. We will be at the opening for Rothenburg that evening. Fun, small town affair. They are fun to walk around and enjoy the gluwein. Kathe Wohlfardt store in Rothenburg is fantastic for picking up Christmas items and the prices are very fair.

Be prepared for short days this time of the year. Hit the tour trail early as it will be dark around 4:30 or 5.

We have done Europe and Germany in the summer and in the winter. I think we sometimes enjoy the winter more as the busses are gone and Europe is given back to the Europeans.

Enjoy your trip. Do it in a car! Much more fun and the roads are well maintained.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Barbara

We went to Germany a few years ago in late May/early June and it rained EVERY DAY! We discovered that you can have a great vacation in almost any weather condition with alittle advanced planning so you might as well go in November. As for Germany, we stayed primarily in the Black Forest region. The scenery was glorious in the pictures, but we had such dense fog, we couldn't see a thing. The castles in Heidelberg were incredible, we also went to Baden, and drove up to Switzerland vias Strasborg ,France (highly recommended). Germany has very quaint little towns, narrow roads and lots of beautiful flowers. However, beware, drinking warm beer and eating heavy lunch meats are common at 9:00am!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Russ

If you take some of the destination advice you've gotten and head for the Rhine/Mosel regions, you should know that Burg Eltz is closed after Nov. 1. However, you can tour Reichsburg Castle in Cochem (www.reichsburg-cochem.de, www.roadstoruins.com/Cochem.html) until Nov. 15 or Marksburg Castle in Braubach on the Rhine, which is the only undestroyed real knights' castle on the river and is open year-round (11-4 in November.)

If you're doing searches on the web, you'll need the correct spelling for a couple of the towns mentioned above:

KOBLENZ (not Coblenz)
HEIDELBERG (not Heidleburg)

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Shar

I did my trip last year --I arrived in Frankfurt,rented a car and drove to Wurtsburg, we toured the Residenz(Closed on Monday),drove down to Rothenburg and spent two nights.Then we did the Romantic road,toured Weis church and stayed just over the border in Austria near the castles in Pinschwang at the Gutshof Schuxen (2 nights of great food,cows,rabbits,bikes,views of Alps)Toured the Castles next day. I would drive in to the black forest next--we did not spend the night there we stayed in Baden-Baden and went to the Carcalla baths --don't miss it.We then went up the Rhine and stayed in Bacharach (one night) ,toured Rhinefels castle,and took the road (short cut)over the mountain to the Mosel,stayed in Zell. You might like to consider staying in Mainz your last night so you are near the airport. we stayed in the Novotel and it was Euro new and great food. Thats really all you have time for in my opinion!!! I would rent a car as it save so much hassle and time and the driving is easy!! Just remember Ausfart means exit!!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 08:37 PM
BettyAnn

Don't miss Linderhof. I enjoyed this Ludwig castle(?) much more than Neuschwanstein. Very little of the interior of Neuschwanstein was completed, whereas, Ludwig actually lived at Linderhof which is a small (relatively speaking), magnificent palace.