Reload this Page >

Euro vs.American Traveller's cheques

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:41 AM
Sandy

We are taking a trip to Western Europe this fall and we would like to know whether it would be wise to take Euro dollar traveller cheques. I know they are available. We are Canadians and would rather not convert more than once. Meaning we don't want to convert Canadian dollars to American dollar traveller cheques and then convert to francs, liras, etc. <BR>Please help! <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:22 AM
janis

I would take just a FEW (maybe 5 or 10% of your spending money) Canadian $ travelers cheques - just for emergencies like when an ATM machine is down. But otherwise rely on ATM and credit cards. Then if you don't need to break into your emergency stash you have Canadian $ cheques you can use back home without any conversion problem. <BR> <BR>Travelers cheques and currency have much worse exchange rates than ATM/Credit cards.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:19 AM
StCirq

Sandy: <BR> <BR>The currency is called the euro, not euro dollar, and although it MAY be possible (haven't heard of this) to buy euro traveler's cheques, Europe isn't <BR> making the changeover to use of the euro until 2002, so I doubt they would be of much use. Use an ATM card, as another poster has said - just make sure your pin number is in digits, not letters.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:57 AM
Bob

Yes you can get Euro Traveller's cheques but if you buy something with them you will get your change in the local currency. If you cash them, the same thing you get local currency until next year.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Ed

If you get euro checks be sure to cash them all over there, otherwise you'll take another exchange loss when you get home. <BR> <BR>Better to take checks in your own currency, though just enough for emergencies preferably. ATMs will give you the best rate in obtaining cash. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 04:23 PM
Kathy

<BR>I've seen US travelers Cheques not accepted so I'ld recommend using a debit card (ATM cards don't always work) along with Credit cards. Less hassel, best rate and nothing left over.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
janis

Point of clarification (see Kathy's post) - US or Canadian travelers cheques are accepted at banks and post offices everywhere. You can't use them in most shops/restaurants etc. They aren't meant for buying things - but for converting into local currency. <BR> <BR>The exception is in some major department stores - they often have a foreign exchange right in the store and their cash registers sometimes have converters built in.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:36 PM
Donna

If you have an ATM card, it's the very best way to acquire cash. Traveler's checks (in your home currency) are an excellent backup, should your ATM card be lost, stolen, the magnetic strip compromised, or if it just doesn't work someplace. With American Express traveler's checks, the best place to exchange them is an American Express Office. In the alternative, you can always acquire cash with a cash advance on a credit card, but there are fees and immediate interest involved.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:44 PM
anne

Sandy: As other posters have said, use ATM debit card withdrawals for day to day cash, credit card for larger purchases. Check with your Canadian bank as to transaction charge for international debits and how many are allowed per month from your chequing account without a surcharge. That way you can decide how often you want to withdraw. Also to be on the safe side change to a 4 digit pin (numeric) ..

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Bob

We just returned from Europe again and still have not used the traveler's checks we purchased in 1991. It is now a family joke. I also took cash and did not use it. All I used was the ATM machines for cash. Best rates and easy to find. If you do get traveler's checks, date them and see how long you keep them. One of these days I need to break down and cash the darn things as they are getting tattered after 10-15 trips to Europe and Tahiti.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 01:40 AM
judith

I just returned from a 4-week trip to Paris and Amsterdam and some spots in between. Know what I brought home along with all the other souvenirs? MY TRAVELLERS CHECKS! Yup, the ATM's were SO much easier than standing on line, producing the passport, waiting for the clerk to fill out the forms. I did use them once, when there were no banks around but a little change shop which (I'm sure) ripped me off but I needed money RIGHT THEN and didn't feel like finding a bank, but we almost exclusively used ATMs. Get a hundred or two for emergencies, but you don't really need more.