First Trip to Venice- Specific Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a mid-March trip to Venice. There is some specific information I have not been able to find. Please help me with the following questions:

We will purchase a glass piece. Tax-wise, does it make a difference if I have the shop ship it, or pack it so that I can carry it on the plane to take it back?

Do the vaporetti operate all night?

Has anyone been to Venice in March? Comments on the weather at that time?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:23 AM

you will find shiping to be very expensive...we always try to carry stuff home....remember the size of the overhead bins when packing...we bring extra twine, packing tape and scissors (packed in checked suitcase) with us to prepare....we have been seen on city streets raiding trash heaps to get cardboard, etc for extra packing...

we will be in venice from march 6-13 also...we are hoping that the weather will be in the 50's...it should be fairly quiet tourist wise...

i am sure that the boats stop at some hour but i am not sure when....they do have a web site but i do not know it
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM

web site is www.actv.it
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM

For your vaporetti question, here is the site to check schedules and routes:

http://www.alilaguna.com/

Click on the "Timetable" link on the left-hand side.

My first trip to Venice was in mid-March and it was, according to people we met who lived there, unusally warm and sunny. The weather was gorgeous throughout our 2-week trip. Though, it was still chilly at night (light jacket temps). To check historical weather, visit:

http://www.wunderground.com/

Have a wonderful trip! I hope that you enjoy your first trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Please ignore my error ... I was thinking water transport to the airport, which is the http://www.alilaguna.com/ site. Rufus' site is vaporetti routes, timetables, etc.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Vaporetti run (or at least they did when I last checked) all night, but service is more limited.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM

I buy glass pieces from Murano each and every time I go to Venezia. I bring bubble wrap and tape in my suitcase and wrap each piece up myself. I put them in a separate bag and then take it as a carry-on. That way nothing gets broken and you can ensure safe delivery. Shipping back to the States will cost you, but dependent on how big the piece is, perhaps that is a better option. I tend to buy hand-blown fish, boats, seals, animals, small candies, fruit clusters, etc all manageable enough and under 12" in size.

Vaporetti go until about 11:30 pm at night. I, personally, would not want to be out after that hour as the night is dark as pitch and the water equally so! We were traveling back from the isle of Barano to Piazza Marco around 11:15 pm and it was hard to see which direction we were heading. Also, I recommend buying a vaporetti ticket (purchase dependent on the number of days), so you can get on and off the vaporetto with ease. The weather is consistently cool, beginning in October. I was there in March last year and it was very windy and cold. I would definitely bring a warm coat and perhaps a wind-breaker to wear over a sweater to protect yourself from the wind blowing off the water.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Venice temps in mid-March, on average, the low to mid 50s for highs, the upper 30s for lows. On average there's one day a year in March above 65 F. About an average month for rainfall--2.4 inches.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:14 AM

If they ship, it can cvopst as much as $150 for a decent sized piece of glass.

Add to that, an amount for duty.

Defintiely carry it back if at all possible.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Just back from Venice -trip report in process .

Due to new purchases, I tracked down a FedX off of San Marco, and mailed a box (weight: 22lbs, cost: $126) back home to the US.
FedX gave me the box for free and I packaged all the items myself.

Package arrived in 3 days, per my husband.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Duty on purchases mailed home to the US is at a different minimum than for things you hand carry home. When I had pieces shipped I paid the duty on the purchase price in excess of $25. The duty free amount could have changed but be aware of how much extra you will pay. Check your local post office or the US customs web site for latest info.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Hi
I've shipped things a few times, I've never paid even half of $150 for shipping.
I've bought several wine glasses at once, I've bought large vases. I bought these items from a factory show room on Murano. I found out the prices of the items first, and then we talked about shipping costs. Whether a shipping mark up had already been factored into the original price, I can't say.

If I'd bought from one of the glass shops near San Marco like Venini or Pauli, perhaps shipping would have been more exorbitant.

When you pack things yourself, shipping places aren't responsible for damage, even if you purchase insurance, only for loss.

I'd be willing to carry home a small item perhaps, but not a very valuable piece, I just feel that too many things aren't under my control, like someone jamming in their suitcase in the overhead bin.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:50 AM

oh, I meant to add

yes when you have it shipped and it arrives at home you have to pay some customs charges

I believe VAT refunds apply to items that are being taken out of the country.
I believe that may apply to items shipped, which helps make up for shipping charges, but I can't swear to it.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM

All retail items totaling more then 150 Euro are available for the VAT discount, whether you carry it on the plane or ship it. The 150 has to be reached in one store, not a total of 3 stores equaling 150. It could also be multiple stores of 150 Euro or more and you would be able to get a refund on each of the stores purchased at over 150. That includes merchandise, no shipping or packing charges. I shipped 5 glass items in December. Weight was 22 pounds, most of that was the wooden box it was shiiped in. The size box was about 2 feet tall, 18 wide, square. It cost me 80 Euro to pack & ship. Had I bought these pieces in a retail import store in the US I would have paid 2 or 3 times my purchase price , plus the shipping charge.
You will find Italians realy know how to pack items for shipment. I have made at least 9 seperate shipments were the store or a Mail Boxes Etc , packaged the items. Not one piece has ever arrived broken. Nearly all of the items were ceramic, glass, figurines or glass containers for food products. Sometimes the packing is so dense & elaborate it takes me quite a while to get the items unpacked.
Plus I always bring a empty suitcase which is filled upon my return. Once I even bought a extra bag there, filled it and paid the airline the extra bag charge of $90. Won't do that again. Lugging 3 bags for check & the walk on baggage was a major effort. Easy to have packed & shipped.
Many items that I buy there I never see in the US or the retail price far exceeds the purchase & shipping price.
Also I have never had a store or MBE , ever not send ever single item that I purchase.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:54 AM
rex

This is/was not a grave error, foxrun -- but I notice that you re-posted this same question again, presumably because you didn't know how to find this, your original question, with all its replies, "in the stack". Assuming that you DO find this - - note that you can always find your own posts by clicking on your own name.

Welcome to the forum... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:12 PM
rex

Good idea, to inform her, on the other thread, jenifer...

But now this one needs to be topped again, to promote (additional) answers being added here.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Friends of ours purchased glass items in Murano and had the shop ship it home. They received a part of the order, and now it's three years later and they are still waiting for the rest. Caveat Emptor.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Nice work, Lorenzi. Elaine hit the ball but you brought her into home base.

I always bring back a piece of gorgeous glass (I collect) and I've never shipped (not that I wouldn't). The glass shops in Venice DO pack to perfection and I make sure I have room in my carry-on for any purchase I make. Nothing has broken yet.

VAT refunds are a piece of cake. Your tax amount will be refunded in full to the credit card of choice.

Vaporetti run 24/7, except for certain holidays and special events. The seasons dictate the time-table but you can always rely on the "N" boat at 2:00 AM. Venice is DIVINE between 2-6 AM and there's plenty of light.

March can be rainy and still cold but nowhere near as cold as Jan/Feb. I've actually been in Venice when it was 58 degrees and sunny in the middle of February so, you never know.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM

When we purchase glass the store has always packed it for us and then we carry it home. I have never had them refuse to package the items even when they are not shipping and there has never been an extra charge for the service. It sure beats digging through trash cans for cardboard and twine.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Dependent on where you on the canals, the night is indeed very dark. We were at the outlying islands and it was as dark as pitch, as previously indicated. Perhaps dependent on the season; and closer to St. Marks and more buildings, lights, etc it would be more light? Regardless, you will have a wonderful time in this beautiful, romantic place. Buon viaggio!