Reload this Page >

First Trip to Spain. Please Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 01:50 PM
Danny

I have wanted to visit Spain for a very long time but have been unable due to financial constraints. I am a student and have a very tight budget but I am hoping to visit Spain sometime in early April. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone may have based on your own experiences in that beautiful country.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 02:10 PM
Rex

Student where? Check out discounts available to you through Council Travel - - www.counciltravel.com or www.ciee.org - - and explore bicycling as a way to see a country - - search for Cheryl K (here or on lonelyplanet.com - - also known as [email protected] (or is it yahoo.com? - - I forget)

Old Dec 24th, 1999, 02:00 PM
Danny

Rex, thanks for the advice. I will certainly look into it. <BR>Bicycling sounds like an interesting way to go.

Old Dec 25th, 1999, 04:31 PM
Cheryl

Hey Danny- <BR> <BR>Rex is my student. I"m training him very well I see. <BR> <BR>Try biking. It's always the cheapest alternative. So is camping. I have no idea where you're from, but Spain is rather cheap anyway.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 07:46 AM
Jc

I just came back from Spain with a horrible experience. I was on my way from Madrid to Avila by trai,and got robbed outside of Atocha Train station by a gang of three. One choked me from behind, the others took my baggage, backpack,and my money-belt under my cloth(beware: money-belt doesn't mean worry-free.).I ended up with nothing except the cloth on my back and severe bruises on my neck.It took me several nerve-racking days to get the replactment of passport, money,credit card,airline tickets ,etc,(All the copies of passport ,tcikets were gone with my baggage). In the office of credit card company,I met quite a few other had the same thing happened to them.One got beaten so bad ,he could hardly talk.I had to cut short of my trip and fly home. Spain is a beautiful country,a lot of interesting things to see.But,I could not say enough :be extremely careful!

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 06:42 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Jc, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience in Spain. We felt very safe during our trip there this past spring and had no problems. But I know these things happen, often with no matter as to precautions taken. Danny, I think you will find Spain (and Portugal which you should easily be able to visit at the same time) within your budget, and very enjoyable. A reminder, at most restaurants, you will be charged for the bread that's put automatically on your table, and any accompanying olives, pate's etc. So if in doubt, ASK first, and then decline if necessary.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 08:56 PM
wendy

i just visited madrid and barcelona for the first time this last spring. you will not be dissappointed!! in madrid there is a great hostel 2 blks from the prado! hostel lopez. check out this site for more info and have a glass of sangria for me!! www.madridman.com

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 10:22 AM
Carrie

Danny- <BR> <BR>I too am a student and went to Spain on my spring break from Studying in France... I speak no Spanish and I absolutely loved it there and I am sure you will too! Although I was only there for a week, I saw Barcelona, Sevilla and a little of Madrid... It was fabulous!

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 11:14 AM
sera

I love Spain, but you do have to be very careful, especially in Madrid where armed robberies on the street and purse snatchings in sidewalk cafes are not uncommon. And the police are often indifferent, unfortunately. <BR> <BR>Seville is a wonderful, fairly inexpensive city. April is a great time to go. Have fun!

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 10:27 PM
Danny

I hear April is a great time to see Spain. I can't wait to experience Feria, which I believe is on the first week of April. Everyone should be in a real spring-time festive mood. Anyone have any experience visiting at this time.