First Trip To Spain

May 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
esl
Original Poster

First Trip To Spain

Hi everyone,

Well it's my first trip to Spain (or Europe for that matter) ever. Any tips would be appreciated. I arrive early morning May 17 and will leave early evening May 27th. So, a good 10 days.

This is my planned (or very roughly planned) itinerary:
May 17-18: Arrive in Madrid, take the train to Malaga, take the bus to Algecirus, take the ferry to Tangiers, Morocco...

May 19-20-Seville

May 21-22 Granada, and head to Barcelona

May 23-24 Explore Barcelona

May 25-26 Back to Madrid

I know this is very general, but conceivably, could I do this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Best regards,

Eric

May 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM

While I did not go to Barcelona or Morocco, it does look like you are going to be doing a lot of traveling from place to place. I would think about narrowing it down a bit. You want to be able to enjoy Spain and not spend all your time on trains and buses. Southern Spain alone is enough to fill up 10 days.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

This is really not a good plan. You are rushing around and traveling long distances to spend 1-2 days in each place. Why are you going to Tangiers? Just to say you have been in Morocco? Most of your time will be spent traveling and the rest resting up from the hectic travels. I would seriously rethink...
May 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

I agree, I would skip Morocco entirely. I doubt that you would make it anyway. If you do this, you will be on trains and buses and very exhausted, with neither the time nor the energy to enjoy Spain.
Visit Madrid and Barcelona (doing day trips) OR visit Madrid and Andalucia (Granada and Sevilla, day trip Cordoba).
Have you looked at a map or read a guide book?
May 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM

I think you need at least 3 full days in Barcelona and Madrid, more if you want day trips. I've visited both and took a day trip to Montserrat and Segovia respectively.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
esl
Original Poster

Thanks to all replies, appreciate the honesty.

ekscrunchy-Well, yes there is a novelty factor involved, to visit two continents at the same trip...I do have a LOT of energy, and don;t mind being on the go.

Tammylouky-I thought about just concentrating on Southern Spain, but I have heard Barcelona is a must-see...

yorkshire-yes i have definitely done some reading, I know the plan is a rough one....

Thanks for all replies.

May 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM

Hope I didn't sound too harsh, when I planned a similar trip last year I got similar treatment (and I had considerably less than you planned). It is easy to underestimate the amount of time it takes to get from one place to another and to underestimate the time you will want to spend soaking in these places. Spanish culture is all about enjoying life, not to sound too cheesy. You don't get that on a bus. You get that walking all over Sevilla, finding a cool little bar where they serve steaming piles of spicy snails. Scale it back, you will be so glad you did--and nowhere on that list will disappoint.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM

I agree. I would skip Morocco.

We were in Spain two years ago for 14 days. This what we did and it worked well.

Started in Madrid for a few days with day trips to Toledo and Segovia.

Took the high speed train to Seville.
Spent 4 1/2 days in Seville with a day trip to Cordoba. You can cut a day or so here. Highlights were the Alcazar which in my opinion beats the Alhambra.

3+ hour train to Granada. 1 1/2 days in Granada and the Alhambra.

Flew to Barcelona and spent 3 days in Barcelona.

During the planning stage I checked the Iberia web site and noticed that flights from Granada to Barcelona varied in price greatly day-by-day and/or hour-by-hour. Very strange.

We ended up with a 7PM (1 hour flight) to Barcelona for under 55Euros for both. By 9PM we were walking around the Ramblas.

My favorites were Seville and Barcelona.

If I was planning again with an eye to cutting days (to fit your 10), I would try to return from Barcelona so as to not be in Madrid twice.

We are not really museum people so the Prado was enough in Madrid (and we really enjoyed it). Two days in Madrid would be enough without the daytrips.

Seville could either be 2 or 3 days depending on hou efficient you are. For me, the highlights were the Alcazar and Casa Pilatos (upstairs and down). Flamenco at Casa Memoria. Not the tourist show that includes a drink but an excelent presentation.

While Granada surpirsed me a bit (pleasantly), you could take an afteroon train from Seville and the next day visit the Alhambra and walk around both sides of the town leaving in the evening for Barcelona.

You will not get to the small town in Andalucia but that's for next time.

May 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM

I haven't made it to Barcelona yet, but plan to in the future. Here's my itinerary from last June.

3 nights Madrid (daytrip to Toledo)
2 nights Seville
2 nights Jerez
1 night Ronda
2 nights Granada
1 night Madrid (for early flight next morning).

At times I felt rushed, wishing I had more time particularly in Ronda. I loved Andalusia with the Moorish influence, so different from other places in Europe. I know that no matter where you decide to go you'll have a great time.

May 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
esl
Original Poster

Thanks again for all replies.
May 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

It's Tangier (no 's') or in Spanish: Tanger. I concur with others who advise you to skip Morocco: if you are just visiting Tangier for a day, it's not worth the effort.

Instead, you could spend more time in Madrid during San Isidro (month of May) there are daily bullfights, concerts, etc.

27 May is Pentecost Sunday: In Sevilla the Feria del Campo will be doing the Romeria to el Rocio (in Huelva) so you might consider flip flopping your itinerary if that interests you.