Morocco Meandering from Spain trip report

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redux!

For those that don't know, there was a problem in the first posting due to a wrap issue due to a typo non space in headline.

Lots of great people here helped me with planning the trip so I wanted to include you all in the trip report info that is here:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1

In the Morocco section.

Or you can just go to our blog as I am in the process of uploading 20 entries on Morocco and then more on Madrid and Barcelona before we head off to Italy, Greece and Turkey.

Morocco starts in the archives here with the trip into Africa after Holy week in Seville:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/8...E551E1F68.html

We lucked out with a rainbow as we entered the Sahara for our overnight and my 6yo had a blast playing a violin concert for 50 excited Berber kids in traditional dress..which were the highlights for us and spectacular!

I have details if any one plans a trip from Spain as we took the bus,ferry and train in and flew back to Madrid on Easy Jet...both ended up taking about the same time.LOL!

Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

OK, one more change...it has been a wierd thread. It is actually here now:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
esl

Hi, I actually posted on the FIrst Trip to Spain thread, this is very inspiring to me....

Any way, as someone who has done the Spain to Morooco and back trip, what do you think of my itinerary? I have been gettign some great feedback on the thread but I'd love to hear what you have to say:

I arrive early morning May 17 and will leave early evening May 27th. So, a good 10 days.

This is my planned (or very roughly planned) itinerary:
May 17-18: Arrive in Madrid, take the train to Malaga, take the bus to Algecirus, take the ferry to Tangiers, Morocco...

May 19-20-Seville

May 21-22 Granada, and head to Barcelona

May 23-24 Explore Barcelona

May 25-26 Back to Madrid

I know this is very general, but conceivably, could I do this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks much!

Eric
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

I think that even with fast travel and lots of energy and sacrifice, you can either do part of Morocco OR part of Spain in 10 days.

It looks like it is easy to do, but it is not really. The trip from Madrid to Tangier via train, ferry etc is VERY long and I am not sure it can even be done in a day.

The best part of Morocco is the Sahara and that is 8 hrs drive from Fez or 10 hrs drive from Marrakech. Fez is a 6hr train ride from Tangier.

If you absolutely must go to get a taste of Morocco,then maybe do it as a day trip from Seville.

I don't particularly advise this,but tying to think of a way to give you what you want. We took the express bus at 6am from Malaga and everything went perfectly so we got into Tangier around 11am ( because you gain two hours in Morocco which is 2 hrs behind Spanish time).

If you could find an express mode from Seville to Tarif, you could maybe make it around the same time. I would go onto Chefchaun ( sp) or someplace nice like that close to Tangier for the night.

Or maybe fly into Morocco, ,maybe Casablanca and stay the night in Rabat before heading to Spain.

You should definitely look at an open jaw flight where you fly into one city and out another, even if you cut out Morocco. You could fly into Madrid or Malaga and out of Barcelona etc.

You would save some travel time that way. We did a quick tour of Spain with 3 generations in about 10 days and saw a lot, so check out my entries on the blog in March.That might give you some ideas.

You will have to plan very precisely if you want to do maximum amount in this short of a time and also enjoy yourself. You will also have to deal with jet lag, so counter that in and sleep on the plane,stay hydrated and get on local time and into the sunlight that first day without napping. This is harder than it sounds as one often is wide awake at 2 or 3 am and dragging for days when you first arrive to Europe.

Here is an idea.Just stay in Madrid the first two days and make sure you stay very central.The hotel I mention above is cheap,clean and very central tho not much to look at.Take the Madrid vision bus which is hop on and off , to get a feel for the city.Don't miss the Prado, hot chocolate and tapas or lunch at Botin.

Then go to Seville, see alcazar and cathdral,flamenco at casa memoria,eat tapas and stay in Santa Cruz.Take ave train one day to Cordoba 40 minutes away and to see must see mesquita.You can do this and more with just two nights in Seville and will give you a good taste. More of course is better.

I think it would be better to do Ronda and small villages or other things,but you could allow 2 days for Morocco here possibly. Leave early and do one over night there in a nice close smaller town.

Then do Granada for a night or two,then fly to Barcelona for a night or two.Fly home from Barcelona open jaw.

It is rushed and probably overwhelming,but it is concievable.

How good are you at languages? If you speak Spanish or French ( for Morocco) decently that will help a lot. It can be done without it,but it really makes it much easier when you speak the language and can read the signs etc.

With only 10 days, I would stick with just Spain and primarily Andalusia.I would be as prepared as possible and read everything in sight about your destinations as that will enrich the journey.

Good luck and enjoy!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM
esl

Wow, thanks for the detailed response...I may just have to enjoy Spain then.

It was partially the novelty of travelling to 2 continents in the same trip, that interested me.

Your blog is awesome, what a treat to look at.

Regards,
Eric
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
esl

Also, what was the name of the hotel in Madrid? I may have missed this. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Glad that you are enjoying the blog esl!

This is where we stayed in Madrid. I hate to plug it as I do not really like it, but it is a great price, clean and fantastic location:
http://www.hostal-laplata.com/laplata/home.html

It is not much to look at tho.

You might want to look up Maribels guides which are great:
http://maribelsguides.com/
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

I just uploaded the entries on Esouria and I know laartista will be going there soon, so thought I would mention it here:

http://soultravelers3.com/blog/27B9D...50C123FC3.html