first trip to london

Search

first trip to london

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first trip to london

suggestion for hotel moderate price n way to get fro airport to hotel...
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM

use shod b looking n priceline for d deals n hotels
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM

salina you aren't new to this board but it has been a while since you've posted so I'll cut you some slack.

Your questions are imply not answer-able w/o some more info from you.

1) what do you condsider "moderate? What is your budget per night? One person's "moderate" is someone else's very expensive, and another persons very inexpensive.

2) WHICH airport - there are several around London and all have different ways to get into town.

3) how many traveling together? Makes a difference because what sorts of rooms are available.

Give us something to work w/ here - OK???
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

landing in heahtrow then staying in earls court area.fisrt trip
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

as for hotel not expensive n not cheap either,i'm not rich..i travel light and want something clean n safe for a single female traveler
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM

Oh THAT helped - Not expensive and not cheap. What is your price range??????

And if you haven't already booked a hotel, is there a reason you're set on Earls Court? there are lots better areas unless you MUST be there for some reason.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

what other better areas do u suggest than earls court...
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM

salina
I'm with janis, not sure why you are resisting answering the question about how much you want to spend on a hotel per night. I also agree that there are lots of better neighborhoods than Earl's Court, and I join in asking what made you pick that?

Here is a link to the London superthread, among other things it will provide information on various neighborhoods.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34548473

If you have no idea about anything to do with London, then click at the top of this screen on destinations, and read the good general fodors information on London. Then go out and buy a map.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Hi Salina,
I stayed on the edge of earls court once at the South Kensington Comfort Inn on Courtfield Gardens--nice hotel, but probably more than you want to spend-it was part of a package deal & I was able to split the cost with my Mom. We really did not like earls court though and usually walked the extra distance to the Glouchester Road tube station. All the other visits to London (3) I have stayed in the paddington/bayswater area at the Oxford Hotel. My first trip to London was also solo and this is where I stayed. Close to two tube lines, circle (lancaster gate) and central (I think--paddington station stop).

Cost at the Oxford is 55 pounds for a single and it includes a decent rolls/toast/watered down orange juice/coffee/tea breakfast for free. (yeah) The staff is pleasant and the rooms are clean. There is no lift, and the stairs are narrow. But I love it here. The rooms are not too special, the bed spreads a little old, most of the bathrooms are tiny--think motorhome size--but to say it again I love it here. It is about a 5 minute walk to Hyde Park, two good pubs nearby Mitre & Swan, good ethnic food near by, bus stops nearby and on a side street that can be quiet if you get a room not facing the street. I don't think they have air conditioning though--if that is a concern. I've only stayed here in the winter.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want some more info. Suz
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 11:26 AM

oh.... transportation from the airport

Heathrow
Cheapest--tube (??4-6 pounds??)--also takes about 45 minutes
Fastest--Heathrow express (??13 pounds each way or 21 pounds rt??)--my favorite--as it is just a short walk to my neighborhood hotel

Gatwick
Gatwick express (??20 pounds rt)--or another train (cheaper) into Victoria Station & then take a Taxi to your hotel--best way to arrive when you are tired and don't know where you are going.

Not sure on the cost's but they are close. I'll look them up once you tell us which airport

Suz