First Trip to Italy Planning Input Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the very early planning stages for our first trip to Italy(17 Days in Country) this Oct/Nov.We will arrive in Rome on 10/23/06, and stay for 7 nights at The Hotel Alimandi Viale Vaticano (The 4 Star Hotel)We have also planned a day trip to Pompeii, while in Rome.. As this is the first of many planning posts and questions for the upcoming trip, is 7 nights to long?

We haven't decided if we should drive from Rome to Tuscany(Sienna area for a base) or take the train and rent a car while in the Siena area. Our plans are to spend 3 days in the area with day trips out to other locals.Any suggestions for lodging in the area? Are 3 days sufficent for a first timer?

Next on to Florence(lodging suggestions?) via train for 2 days.

We are planning 4.5 days in Venice (Lodging suggestions?)then leaving for home in the afternoon of day 5.

Any comments, suggestions(stay where longer, shorter, hotels etc., would be greatly appreciated. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site for the past 12 months, and I am always fascinated by the knowledge those who post here have.

We have visited a lot of other European countries, and are really looking forward to this vacation, as my wife will be celebrating her birthday while we are there.
Thanks again for commenting on my first of many questions.

>
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM

While 7 days in Rome is not too long (there is SO much to see there), I think I would probably take a day from there and add it to Tuscany.

That would not be my choice for hotel location in Rome. Yes, it is right by the Vatican and convenient for that, but it is too far from everything else you will want to see. A much more central area is the Piazza Navona/Pantheon area, closer to many things than the Vatican, lots of great restaurants, easy bus connections.
Have a great trip!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM

I don't think 7 days in Rome is too long. Especially if you take some day trips. I would see Naples too when you go to Pompeii.
I don't know the hotel Alimandi and am not crazy about the vatican area but you can walk to livelier neighbourhoods and the borghetto is quite nice.
The drive from Rome to Siena is very pleasant on the Aurelia. Don't set off friday afternoon or saturday morning though as you'll get caught in the traffic. Bagno Vignoni and San Quirico d'Orcia are nice places to stay in Tuscany.
I would use an extra day driving around in Tuscany and one less in Venice. Have a good trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Hi Limey,

I completely agree with SusanP's advice, as wonderful as Rome is, take a day from there to add to Tuscany or Umbria. Pick up a rental car in Chiusi, from there Montepulciano, Pienza and Montalcino are a short drive. Drop your car in Siena and bus/train to Florence.

4.5 days in Venice is not too long. There is much to see and enjoy. Do a little research and see some of the sights most people don't take the time for:

Ca d'Oro
La Grande Scuola di San Rocco
Burano & Torcello
Guggenheim
Accademia
much more.....

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Just a related question, as I am doing a similar routing...

Is there any reason to rent a car in Chiusi over Orvieto? (or, would it be equally easy in either town)

I have seen the suggestion to drop car in Siena, and take train or bus to Florence. Any reason not to drive all the way to Florence and return the car there?

thanks for your opinion.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:17 AM
ira

Hi R,

Take a look at a map and see if Chiusi or Orvieto are more convenient for you. Also depends on whether your rental agency has an office.

The advantage to dropping a car in Siena instead of Florence is that you don't have to drive into Florence.