First trip to Italy...need advice

Feb 6th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

First trip to Italy...need advice

I'll be going to Italy in May with my husband. We're flying into Florence and out of Venice. The bad thing is that we'll only have 5 1/2 days there. I was thinking 2 nights in each city. Is that too much? too little? Where should I spend that other night? Is Sienna worth it?

I also need help with a hotel in Venice. I'd like to stay somewhere near the square around the $250-300 range. I'm staying at the Tourist House Ghiberti in Florence since it has gotten so many raves.

Please give any adive that you think would be helpful!!! Thank you!
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:23 AM
rex

The current darling:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html

Look at those almost unanimous user reviews! (11 of 12 gave 5 of 5, with one 4 - - and glowing, rave desciptions). Constant good emarks here also. I hope it really is avaiable at the rate that tripadvisor says: 124-225 euro.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:28 AM

With so few days, I would probably add the fifth night to either one of your two cities, choosing according to where I had more items on my "to see" list. Siena is certainly worth a visit, but you can do it as a day trip from Florence without having to spend time changing hotels. If you really want a different location for one night, and are travelling by train from Florence to Venice, consider stopping over in Bologna. You'll be passing through it anyway, and it's a great city, different from either Florence or Venice.
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I also agree that you should spend the extra night in 1 of those cities (depending on your interests). I really like the Hotel Flora in Venice (www.hotelflora.it). It doesn't have a canal view but is in a quiet location, very near San Marco and has a lovely garden and is very charming.
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Hi Jen,

In Venice, consider Locanda Orseolo (www.locandaorseolo.com) very close to Piazza San Marco. Hubby and I spent two nights there last May, and can vouch for the rave reviews on tripadvisor.com (mine is one). They have a nice photo gallery on veniceby.com.

The hotel is very small (only 15 rooms) and has become very popular, so may already be booked, but worth a try.

We also stayed in Tourist House Ghiberti last May and were very happy there as well. Very relaxing spa, and so nice (for hubby) to have high speed internet PC in our room.

Enjoy . . .