First trip to Italy - for a family!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone - my first time on a message board. My husband and I are considering a trip - about 9 days to Italy June 2008 with our sons - ages 8 and 12 and other Mothers - "over 39". We don't want to run from city to city - maybe 3 cities max. Rome is a must. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your input.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Does your 9 days include travel time? How many nights do you actually have in Italy? If it's 8 nights there, and especially with that many people, I highly recommend that you pick no more than 2 places. You could easily spend the whole time in Rome and still only see a fraction of what is there.

To do 2 places, with 8 nights, I would fly into Venice and spend 3 nights there, train to Rome and spend 5 nights there, fly home from Rome. This is an open-jaw flight and saves having to backtrack to your original city.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
jgg

I agree with SusanP's suggestion of only two cities and also agree with the 3 nights Venice and 5 nights Rome. We went to Italy for the first time in March 2005 when our kids were 9 and 12. Here is a link to my trip report, which may give you some ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34599242

If it is at all possible to eek out a few more days it will be well worth it!!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM

You are going to have the most amazing time! Your boys are at the perfect ages! We traveled to Italy this past June with our boys, then ages 8 and 12. It was a grand adventure! I also agree with the suggestions of two cities and that a few more days would be helpful for your to maximie the trip!

View my trip report at:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry. I clearly don't know how to post the link to my trip report, but it was entitled:

Amazing Two Week Family Trip to Italy
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
jgg

Here is the link to KimiG's trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35019593.

KimiG- After you open the post, click on the title. The correct link will appear.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:19 PM

I agree with the others who have suggested the Venice 3/Rome 5 combination. Venice is like no place else in the world, never mind Italy, and Rome is exciting, but is still a big city.

For an easy taste of the countryside, your family might enjoy a daytrip from Rome to the hilltown of Orvieto. It's only about an hour away and offers delightful views, quaint narrow streets for exploring, a funicular ride, and a cave tour. Since you don't have to change hotels, a daytrip is a less hectic option than staying in 3 different places.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

A quick thanks to all of you - LOVED the trip reports. We've decided to incorporate your recommendations into our trip and lengthen our stay. We're traveling to Rome, Venice and Florence. Thanks again - I really apprecicate your help.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

If you go to FLorence there is a history of science museum that is great. If your boys aren't crazy about art museums, there is no need to spend much time in FLorence. I also thing the ROme/Venice combo is a good one.

From Rome you can do day trips like to Pompeii or Orvieto. My kids loved Pompeii. That was their #1 request to see when we took them to Italy (also around those ages).
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM

In Florence I highly recommend the Hotel Davanzati. Check it out on www.tripadvisor.com. It's the number one hotel on trip advisor in Florence and I think your kids would love it!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
ira

Hi A,

>about 9 days to Italy ... We don't want to run from city to city - maybe 3 cities max. <

Maybe 2 cities max.

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
ira

Sorry, should have read the whole thread before posting.

How many days now for F, R, V?

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
jgg

allied1 - Excellent decision! You will not regret the extra days.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi all - Waiting to finalize the itinerary but it looks like 5 nights Rome, 3 nights Venice, 2 nights Florence.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Your trip sounds wonderful, and I am sure your boys will be amazed at all they see and do.

I do have one suggestion - you may want to consider renting an apartment in Rome and in any other city you are in for more than two or three days.

Often, it is less expensive to rent an apartment than a couple rooms (or even one) in a hotel. In addition, you will save so much money on food - you can have breakfast in the apartment, keep fruit, cold drinks, and other snacks in the fridge. It is really expensive to eat in restaurants in Italy - and it's possible your boys may prefer more familiar foods - they can easily be purchased at many markets. Also - having the extra space that an apartment affords is always a good thing when you have children along!

We have rented in Rome (and other cities) through www.vrbo.com - but there are many other apartment rental agencies that are very good, too. Plenty of posters on thses boards have recommendations for rentals.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!