Notices

First trip to Italy

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 03:29 PM
Jaron Norberg

First trip to Italy

My wife and I are taking our first trip to Italy and Vienna. We are arriving on 10/26 in Rome and must meet others in Vienna on 11/07. We were going to divide the Italy time among Rome, Florence and Venice, without renting a car. We would appreciate suggestions on how best to divide the time between those locations, including any favorite hotels and restaurants. We would prefer hotels in the middle to upper middle price range, with charm, quiet, cleanliness and access to public transportation. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 07:10 AM
richard j. vicek

Good mornilng, Jaron
For my first trip to EUR namely Rome,
Florence and Venice, I would split my
time equally, as there is a lot to see
in each place, the last stop being Venice and from there I would and have
taken the overnite sleeper to Wien...
Since each of the cities are quite long,
I will e mail you each seperately within
the next few days, with hotels and
ristorantes and some what to do's.
Richard of Hickory Hills, IL....

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 08:11 AM
Ed

All great cities. But Rome is very special among most all cities in the world.

With 11 full days if I count correctly I'd spend at least 5 in Rome, and 3 each in Venice and Florence. You'd hardly run out of interesting and important things to do in Rome, though, if you added at least another day.

If you're more in to romance and 'atmosphere' than museums and art you might cut Florence to 2 full days, or vice versa if favoring Renaissance art and architecture.

Extensive intro to Rome beginning at www.twenj.com/romevisit.htm

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 07:07 PM
Fred

You've already been given good advice.

Let me add a thought, however. . . .I'd make an effort to squeeze a day from one of those places, and spend a day driving between Rome and Florence. Stop in several of the "hilltowns," such as Orvieto or Perugia. You won't regret it, and will see a side of Italy you'd completely miss otherwise.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 01:52 PM
Anne

Hi Jaron,

I agree with Fred above that you should most certainly include some hilltowns. Especially after Rome and Florence, which are very loud and busy. I was in Italy this past spring and this may not be a popular opinion, but Rome was our least favorite place on the trip. The subways were horrendous (compared to Paris or London), it was loud, busy, and scary crossing streets. Rome was our last city before heading home so maybe we were just tired, but I have no desire to return. However, Venice was by absolute favorite place and can't wait to return! Have a wonderful trip and try to keep a journal, it really helps you remember everything you saw and did. Plus it's a great way to help other Forum surfers with their questions.

Anne

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 04:30 PM
jbnorberg

Thanks for all your help. It has really helped us in planning this trip.