First trip overseas - London and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to go to London and Paris for some time. I've always heard that Paris is very dirty and that London is more nicer. It is my understanding that we can choose one city to go to and then take the tube to the other so that we could still be able to "do" both cities in one trip.

Which city would you plan to fly to and make your primary destination? And why?

I know nothing about going there so please do not bash me for being unfamiliar with any and all of this!

Thank you for any help!
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:18 AM

Fly into whichever city is the cheapest. Take the Eurostar (not the tube - please look at a map) between them; you can buy tickets online discounted. Which one you make your primary destination is up to you (if you know nothing about them, now is the time to read guidebooks so you get an idea of what your preferred activities are). What I want to do in those cities is almost certainly not what you'd like to do.

How much time do you have?
What's your budget?
What do you plan to do in Paris and London (i.e., why have you always wanted to go there)?

Paris, IMO, isn't particularly dirty compared to London. The street crews that are out every morning hosing down the streets pretty much ensure that it stays relatively clean. I've heard people complain about dog poop in Paris but it's never been an issue for me. I live in the heart of DC and I would certainly say it's dirtier here than in Paris.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM

Paris is NOT "very dirty." It's actually a wonderful, walkable city.

What are your interests?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:21 AM

<< I've always heard that Paris is very dirty >>

What is your source for this rumor? Paris is not dirty.

<< It is my understanding that we can choose one city to go to and then take the tube >>

That's like saying you can take the subway between NYC and Chicago. The "tube" is the London underground. It does not extend under the English Channel all the way to Paris.

You can take a train between London and Paris.

You can see both Paris and London in one trip. You can fly into one city and fly home from the other city.

Given your lack of knowledge you should get some guide books and begin reading otherwise you will not get much from your trip. After you've read a bit about each city then come back and post specific questions.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM

YOu may want to start in London if the lanquage barrier is a concern. The English Channel separates the two countires by which you can take the underground train or a ferry.

I would not say Paris is dirtier than London, in fact I might say it is cleaner. Do not let that be a deciding factor in any of your decisions.

As the previous poster said - finding the cheapest flight might be the first step.

We need a little more information from you to assist you.
Are these cities you have dreamed about going to and why? Make a list... from there we can help you better.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the bad grammar in my first post of "more nicer." Ugh, I should've proofread before clicking submit.

The time we're considering is possibly one week (7 days). Budget is up in the air, but we don't plan on it being a luxury vacation.

Not really sure why or what has been the draw to Paris, just that it's been on my bucket list of places to go. I do know that I'd like to see the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Seine River, and just take in the city.

As for seeing London, I really don't have a "bucket list" of things to see there other than to go and be able to see the sights, etc.

I haven't started researching much yet. I wanted to figure out where we would go for the primary destination before doing the rest.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

I see we posted at the same time!!!

I will give it some thought and post back......

When is this trip?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

It's exciting to get confirmation here that Paris is NOT dirty! I have been told that by co-workers that went on a vacation a few years back.

I do plan on doing a LOT of research on each city once we figure out where we'll fly to. I'm leaning towards Paris, though.

Thanks for the clarification on the Tube. It is the underground train that I was thinking about when erroneously calling it the tube.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks annesherrod!

June or July 2012
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM

Paris will amaze you. Seven days is not a lot. You could easily spend all of it in either city. That being said, a London-Paris combo makes sense. You want the Open Jaw option, no wasting time to loop back to London.

Landing in London, an easy place to get around and acclimatize since language is not an issue, would be my landing spot. get over jet lag, and off to the continent.

How much time do you "really" have?

When you land in London, you will lose 1/2 of first day getting settled, similarly taking the Eurostar to Paris will take another 1/2 day before you are touring. And, your last day, not much time to do much before getting to CDG.

To help you, go to the city guides here and have a browse on what there is to see. Depending on the list, make the split of days in each city. Then we can narrow things down. I would suggest no side trips out of the cities this time. One mistake people make is stacking their days full of things, not seeing them all, and then having memories of just rushing aorund in a mad effort to get it all in. Some things will need to be chopped, some time alloted for a pub lunch and a cafe creme at an outdoor cafe.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM

Your co=workers are plain silly to put it nicely. Paris is one of the cleanest cities I've ever visited.
7 days--I'd go to Paris and stay. However, I think an open jaw trip could really take more time than just going to London for the day and returning to Paris the same day.
You really need to read a LOT to decide. I really recommend the DK Eyewitness Guide to Paris (and LOndon) because the book is arranged by area--so you can maximize the time and sites you see in an area.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM

Agreed with the others. Unless you have some reason to be in one longer than the other (which it sounds like you don't), I think splitting time equally between Paris and London would be good for a first trip. There's no need to consider one your "primary" destination. If you get one week off work,

Day 0 (Saturday): Leave US (assuming that's where you're coming from)
Sunday: Arrive in London, find hotel, wander, maybe plan something low-key
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday: London
Thursday morning: Eurostar to Paris
Thursday afternoon/Friday/Saturday: Paris
Sunday: Fly home from Paris

You'll have an "extra" day in one city or the other with this plan. I put it in London because 1) I love London (many others would put it in Paris) and 2) because your Sunday afternoon and maybe Monday will be partially spent getting over jet lag. Which *you* would rather do is best for you to decide, after looking over what there is to experience in each place.

Ten years ago, I did find Paris to be dirtier than London, though not a cesspool by any means. I've not been back since then, but have heard that the city is cleaner than it used to be. Either way, you won't be wallowing in filth.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM

Parts of Paris are dirty, of course, just like most big cities. And some parts of it can be bad where tourists are due to the trash they generate which isn't picked up all the time. So some trash baskets can be more than overflowing.

London is just as dirty IMO.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM

I love Paris and have visited every year (sometimes twice) for over 16 years. A good friend went for the first time last summer and came back declaring it "dirty." She has no desire to go back. And she lives near NYC and visits that city quite frequently.

I was flabbergasted when she said that! First, because she could dismiss an incredible city that way, and second, because it just isn't a factor. Dog poop? Yes, particularly in the non-touristy arrondisements, where I usually stay. Litter? Not much that I've seen.

I love both London and Paris, but Paris is a city few people tire of seeing. When doing your research, come here often and we'll help all we can. My first recommendation is to make sure you don't overlook parks in your planning. Even if you're not an "outdoors" person, Paris' parks are not to be missed. And, consider the art you really like most. The D'Orsay's impressionist rooms might be more interesting to you than what you'll find at the Louvre. You don't have much time in either place, so please think carefully about what you really, really don't want to miss.

Have fun planning!
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 09:24 AM

I'm no Paris fan.

I find the place little more than an insular theme park with a few decent restaurants. But anyone calling it dirty is deranged. There's simply no question London's dirtier: we have a far greater litter problem, an infinitely bigger security problem with litter bins (so we often just expect visitors to take their litter home, and they're too lazy to), and far more ill-mannered French adolescents on school visits

BUT if there's nothing particular you want to see in London, and you've only got a week, you'll be wasting your time coming here. There's far more than a week's (or a year's) worth to see in Paris. Why waste more time travelling than you need?

If you do decide to visit both, it's cheaper to fly TO London, get the train then fly back FROM Paris. Unlike the French (who, as with everything in this world, posture about climate change but do nothing) we really do believe people should be discouraged from unnecessary flying. So we charge hefty pollution taxes on planes leaving for long-haul destinations. You avoid these taxes by flying from Paris.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM

I love the idea of the tube going under the channel!

I would like Paris to be on the Central Line, please, if that could be arranged.

;-)
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM

"Paris is one of the cleanest cities I've ever visited."

Mainly because they spend so much time and effort clearing up dog muck.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM

....I would like Paris to be on the Central Line, please, if that could be arranged.....

Which zone would it be in?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM

6 - I reckon Paris is about the same distance as Epping from central London....
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM

RM67 - some days I bet it is closer time wise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -