First trip - destination advice!

Old Jul 21st, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip - destination advice!

Hi All,

I've been trolling through lots of threads, but yet to really work out where i would like to go.

basically, i have September in Europe. I will be in London for 6 days, then likely Amsterdam for a few days before i go to Croatia for 5 days (all with friends). I then want to check out South France or Northern Italy but don't really know where. I've been told Annecy and Chamonix are great spots, and so is the coast.

Firstly, i'm 27 would like to go to some places popular with people my own age, and is easy to meet people. I'm not really that interested the common in museums, art, architecture, and want somewhere more along the scenery, culture, food "interest group". I grew up in New Zealand, so somewhere different to home would be good. Good train transport is a preferred but not a deal breaker. i intended on getting around by flying or train.

I know this is all pretty vague, but any recommendations would be great!
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 03:32 PM

I would recommend Tuscany, base yourself in some Tuscan town(s) and travel around for a few days, driving along beautiful tuscan villages, having some good food and so on. Do have a look at my page on San Gimimgnano:
https://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com...montefioralle/
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 07:34 PM

You will get some good suggestions here but nothing beats getting a good guidebook and some photographic books from your local library and seeing what appeals to you. There are a million places that could appeal so it's difficult to suggest without knowing you. I would pick a couple of regions and explore them rather than run around all over the place.
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 06:40 AM

I love to search Pinterest for gorgeous photos that interest me.
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 06:55 AM

Good train transport is a preferred but not a deal breaker. i intended on getting around by flying or train.>

For loads of great info on trains and where to go check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - check the latter's online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of suggested rail itineraries in those places.

check out youth hostels and youth hotels for great places to meet folks you age - hotels can be isolating.
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Firstly, i'm 27 would like to go to some places popular with people my own age>

I would do some research over on The Thorn Tree at Lonely Planet website. And read guidebooks like Rough Guides, Let's Go series, Lonely Planet. They are more your age group than Fodor's is.

while there's lots of experienced travelers here who can give suggestions most people saw 20-something a long ways back in the rearview mirror!

Since you specifically mentioned Annecy, that can be easily combined with Geneva and the Lac Leman area of Switzerland, then into northern Italy (I did Geneva, Vevey, Sion, to Venice one trip by train).