Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

first timer in Rome - Santa Maria, Capo D'Africa, Portoghesi, or San Carlo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband-to-be and I will be spending three nights in Rome at the end of March as part of our honeymoon trip. We are doing splurge hotel in Venice so I don't want to spend too much in Rome on lodging, where we'll be out and about most of the time.

I checked and found availability at the following hotels (most suggested by posters on this forum and tripadvisor): Santa Maria, Capo D'Africa, Portoghesi, and San Carlo. I don't know for the first trip to Rome where we'll want to stay. The rates are similar. I want to go to a place that's central with comfortable bed and bathroom. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:00 AM

We have stayed at Portoghese twice since this past May. We were very pleased with the hotel and absolutely loved the location and the fact that you can go up on the rooftop, bring a bottle of wine and sit and relax. I had previously stayed right next to the Pantheon at a much pricer hotel very nice but for the price you can't beat the Portoghese. It was written up last year in Bon Appetite magazine.
Good luck!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM

I've stayed at the San Carlo more times than I can count, and had a lovely visit each time. The location is perfect--good for walking, but if you want to take the Metro somewhere, it's nearby, as are several cab stands.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM

I am also a fan the San Carlo (at the recommendation of Bookchick). In fact I will staying there again this coming May - Thanks Bookchick!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I don't know any of the hotels from personal experience, but here's what I know about location:

Santa Maria - in Trastevere, across the bridge from the historical center, well-liked according to most posts I've read

Capo d'Africa - near Colosseum, also well-liked by posters

Portoghesi - near Piazza Navona, also has many fans

San Carlo - near Spanish steps, also has many fans

If it were my choice, I would choose Portoghesi for the location in the historical center and the proximity to many points of interest. It's also in area where there are many restaurants and cafes and where the streets are filled with people late into the evening.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM

We have stayed at the Portoghesi in a jr. suite; a nice small hotel in a great location. I don't remember the bed being uncomfortable but I do remember being very happy with the bathroom, modern and clean.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM

If I were a newlywed -- and I kinda am as my partner and I married in 2004 after 28 year together - I'd want MAXIMUM privacy.

So I like apartments rather than hotels.

In 10 days' time we are renting the Spanish Steps apartment from www.Romeur.it -- only 103.50 Euros/ night for a very large 1 bedroom on v. del Babuino, 50 metres from the Spanish Steps. Check it out.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM

I am on my way to Italy as well...Does anyone have info regarding the Hotel Bernini Palace, Splendide Royal or the Boscolo Hotel Palace in Rome?

Thanx to all of the seasoned travellers here !!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great info. I'm going to look into the apartment info, Portoghesi, and San Carlo further.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Good choices, sarahch. Count me as another Portoghesi fan. And I have been in a room at the San Carlo where a friend stayed. I think the Portoghesi is a little more romantic.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:12 AM

we just returned from a week in Rome and stayed at a wonderful B&B, the Daphne Trevi. Note reviews on Tripadvidor.com. With regards to the Hotel Bernini jebien, it was right near where we stayed and the location is excellent.