First Time Visit to Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked to fly to Istanbul March 2009 so I have loads of time to obsessively plan this trip. Any recommendations for a first visit to Istanbul would be appreciated. We have gotten used to renting apartments, but this time are looking for a hotel. Any ideas about what area to stay in. I stay in Trastevere and Marais when I go to Rome and Paris, if that gives an idea of the type of area we like to stay in in Europe. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Do sur what you are looking for in a hotel but I would highly recommend Empress Zoe. Have a look at the website http://www.emzoe.com/htm/124/ent.php. I stayed there in Oct 2001 and loved the place. A friend was there last year and also loved it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
sjj

ttt
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

I see that the empress zoe is right next to construction work. Is this so?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM

There is a Holiday Inn (not a cookie-cutter offering, btw), which is located just a bit inside the old city wall:

http://tinyurl.com/4gwkeq

Interesting little quirk, if you save Priority Club points: you can get it for 10K/night, which is a great deal, compared to the Euro rate.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Also look into YESIL EV, in the heart of Sultanahmet. It's a lovely, small hotel with a gorgeous outdoor garden/restaurant festooned with tiny lights.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM

Given your Marais and Trastevere preferences you would probably be quite comfortable in Sultanahmet, the "old town" section. There are scads of hotels resembling a two or three star Paris place. I liked Hotel Ambassador. www.hotelambassador.com based on location, cost and staff friendliness and efficiency but was unable to get a vacancy for my dates (though I did visit during my stay in Istanbul.) I also found that staying in the Taksim area was OK, as it is easy to get around on public transport or in taxis.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Seamus: Where have you stayed in Istanbul? I took your advice a few years ago staying in a Paris apt. on rue mornay. We have since stayed in other apartments in Paris and have worked our way up higher in the Marais to the 3rd. What is Taksim like?
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Taksim is the modern city center of Istanbul. It's main thoroughfare is Istiklal Caddessi: a wide pomenade with shops, restaurants, and clubs lining the way. It's a very busy area, but full of energy and excitement- a great place to people watch if there were any benches. Here you'll find young Turks walking arm in arm shopping or club hopping.

If you prefer a quieter setting, Sultanahmet is the place to stay. Yes, there are plenty of carpet sellers who will do anything to get your business, but it also has an unmistakable charm around every corner. But, don't let it fool you, it's not the real Istanbul. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM

hi opaldog -
yes, I remember that trip! We continue to go the apartment route for Paris visits of more than a couple days, but have wound up staying in the same general area as the Mornay apartment - just across the canal.

Sultanahmet is the "old town" area. Taksim is a more modern than Sultanahmet, though far from a glass and concrete environment. Istiklal caddesi, the pedestrian shopping street, ends at Taksim Square. I have seen Taksim described as the "old European area" and that does seem to fit. Parts of Istiklal are reminiscent of the Parisian Latin Quarter. Toward the lower part of Istiklal is the Beyoglu area, with older buildings and lots of little alleys and culs de sac- wouldn't recommend it for a first visit.
I originally wanted to stay in Sultanahmet but my dates overlapped a soccer finals tournament so I was lucky to find anything. I wound up booking through www.gtahotels.com and got a package at the Grand Star hotel - probably best described as upscale tourist class. Rooms not large but adequate with lots of closet space, nice bath, view of the Bosphorous, excellent breakfast bufffet, very helpful and friendly staff. Certainly not the Four Seasons, but a week costs less than two nights at the 4S.
If you want to concentrate on historic areas and be able to walk back to the hotel during the day, Sultanahmet may be a better choice. I really liked the Ambassador but could not find a vacancy to match my dates. I did stop by to see the place and the staff was incredibly helpful - even sent a fax for me at no charge. The rooms were older but not in any way dirty or worn out, the terrace a delight. I would stay there on my next visit.