First time travelling to Europe.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, just wondering what people suggest to do for our first trip to Europe... We are planning 5 days in London, 3 in Paris, 3 in Amsterdam, 4 in Berlin, 7 in Greece and 7 in Italy...
What are the must see's and do's?? Travelling In May and Don't want to miss out on any excitement!!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 03:41 AM

<i>What are the must see's and do's??</i>

That depends 100% on your interests, which you have neglected to state. Someone suggesting two dozen museums and pre-Reformation churches won't do any good if you don't like museums or churches.

Why five days in London but only three in Paris? Where in Greece? Where in Italy?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 04:50 AM

You have shortchanged Paris and Italy in my view and experience. However, without knowing where you want to go in Italy, and what your interests are, it is next to impossible to be of much help.

Who is traveling? Ages? Interests - museums, churches, nature, hiking, boating, food, wine, cities, countryside? Since most of what you have mentioned are cities, that may be a clue. And what do you mean by excitement? The running of the bulls in Pamplona? Climbing the towers at Notre Dame? Eating a great meal?

Help us to help you. You seem to have about 29 days. I would cut back a bit, perhaps skipping Greece for this trip, so that you can actually experience the other destinations. And I would get a couple of guidebooks to give you ideas. Then come back with more information and you will get more specifics. Have fun planning.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM

I agree about Paris. It's not my favorite city by any means but three days really isn't doing it justice.

Also, you need to factor in travel time because you may end up with less time than you thought.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 05:33 AM

Suggest you lay your trip out day by day to see how much time you actually have in each place. Three nights in a city is actually only 2 days there - not 3 days - or god forbid 4 days as some tours list it.

You need to allow between 1/2 to a full day when you travel between two cities.

And for Italy - where do you want to go? Just Rome - that's another 4/5 days (5/6 nights) or two week if you want to go to a couple of other places.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 05:45 AM

First you need to start with some guidebooks to figure out what you want to see and do, where you want to go. For instance what places in Greece and Italy? Also research on the web, like at Fodors Destinations in an orange bar on the upper left of this page. And there are videos such as those of Rick Steves on TV. Lots of information out there.

The most common rookie mistake is to cram in too many stops, too many sights. The more you read and research the more things you want to see and do. Resist. More is less.

Next you need to work out the details of your transportation. From home, get open jaws plane tickets into one city and then out of another. In your case maybe into London, out of Rome. (Choose the multi-city option on airline websites.) Such tickets should cost about the same as round-trip and save you the time and money spent backtracking.

Then work out how you're going to get between destinations. Plane? Train? Car? It will take you a minimum of a half day to transfer from one city to another, checking out of one hotel, finding and checking into your next hotel. The more cities and towns you go to, the more time spent in transit, the less time to sightsee.

Fortunately you've got lots of time to research. When you get a first itinerary, post it here. You'll get plenty of advice.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Does your proposed itinerary include your travel days? If yes your time at each destination will be significantly shortened. Trying to fit 5 countries into 4 weeks is really not enough time if you want to relax and give yourselves enough time to enjoy your surroundings.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM

are you going by train, plane or car or bike or what?

Probably by train to such far-flung bit cities - where cars are more and more useless creatures, banned from any city centres. For great resources to plan a European train trip check out these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropettravel.com - be sure to download the latter's free and superb IMO online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of rail-themed itinerary suggestions and a bevy of good tips.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would eliminate Greece from your itinerary and add those days 2-3 to Paris and 4-5 to Italy.

What cities in Italy are you planning to go to?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Too many places too far apart. Greece may need to go. Three in Paris not enough. Three in Amsterdam too many.
You don't say "why" you particularly want some of these--such as Berlin. Some just seem sort of off the beaten path for a first trip to Europe, although they may be just right for you. what do you like to do/see when you travel. Are there any budget constraints?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to see Amsterdam, I would dwefinitely keep at least 3 days. I don't think that's "too many" at all.

Other option would be to cut it out entirely because it's furthest north (out of the way from the other places) and you've got too many places on your initial list.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think a good place to start would be to think about a week in each country and do day trips from 1 base. It could be a city in each country or a place in the countryside, especially if you keep Greece & Italy. I have on occasion stayed in a small town outside a city that interested me and got the best of both.

Moving saps funds, time and energy so I'd say, first thing in this process, reduce the number. Eliminate 2 countries, giving you a better chance at a decent experience in the 4 you choose.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:26 PM

While I'd probably also eliminate Greece and add the days somewhere else, I did similar timed trips and enjoyed them a lot. Of course 3 nights in Paris won't allow you to see everything but a heck of a lot of people go for a weekend to Paris and have fun.

As for must-do's, just look at any website of the destinations and you'll find a list of them which will fill your time. I think there's a reason why the most popular sights are on top of the list. So just pick the ones which interest you and don't care too much about hidden or unknown sights.

But some things that work for me:

a) If you wouldn't dream about doing it at home, don't do it on vacation just because it's in a must-do list. A tacky wax museum is still a tacky wax museum even if it's in London.

b) If you need to spend ages queuing to get to a sight and then have 20 seconds in the middle of several tour groups to enjoy it, skipping the sight and buying a postcard instead is a real alternative.

c) Some of my most treasured vacation memories are about spending a day in a beer garden or playing pool. I'm sure I missed some famous sights because of it but I don't regret the choice I've made.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM

<i>A tacky wax museum is still a tacky wax museum even if it's in London.</i>

This. A thousand times this.

<i>Some of my most treasured vacation memories are about spending a day in a beer garden or playing pool. I'm sure I missed some famous sights because of it but I don't regret the choice I've made.</i>

And this.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM

That tacky wax museum is one of the very top if not top sights in London for Brits - that is one reason I wanted to see it- think of its history - the Madame Tussaud ('toosods' in British) connection to the guillotine, etc.

But again I rather enjoy tacky things but can see why some think it pablum and a huge waste of money - very expensive entry fee because lots of folks are willing to pay it.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
jessica,

a common error made by first time travellers to europe is to imagine that the only places worth visiting are cities. Far from it - many worthwhile destinations are in the countryside. and a trip that mixes town and country is probably one which is going to be more fun and more relaxing.

I agree about going away and doing some more work on where you want to go and why but you also need to take account of how you're going to get between your different destinations. for example, a trip that starts in London, uses the eurostar to get to Paris, then flies to Venice and gets the train to Rome, is going to be more restful than one that starts in Amsterdam, then goes to Paris, Berlin, London and Venice.

finally, I do agree that even with a month or so to play with, you're trying to do too much. I would drop Berlin and GReece, and probably Amsterdam. THat would give you time to spend time in the countryside or on the coast of France and Italy, or even the UK.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM

<<That tacky wax museum is one of the very top if not top sights in London for Brits >>

I have never met a British person who has been there. We look at the queue of eager tourists and we ask "why?". It's like bullfighting and eating snails, just not British.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:04 PM

I've never felt the slightest urge to visit Madame Tussaud's in all the 30+ years I've lived in London as an adult - but there are plenty of other things to see and do in London and the rest of the UK. Don't forget to factor in public holidays (there are quite a few in Europe in May) when a lot of museums, not to mention shops, may be closed, reducing your 3 or 4 days to 2 or 3. I'd leave Greece off your bucket list for this trip, to give yourself a bit more time in some of the other places you want to visit.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM

I have never met a British person who has been there>

You obviously are moving in the wrong circles of Brits - no Brit you know probably says they go to Blackpool either though zillions of them do - ditto for Tussauds - one of the top sights in the U K for Brits, like it or not.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Lots of replies.. but I'll add my 2 cents. For your first trip, you might consider a rail pass - that way you can go between the countries easily.

This is all so subjective, but I would do 4 days in Paris and 3 in Berlin. Getting between the islands is Greece usually takes some time so you might keep that in mind.

My other advice is to think of this as your "first" trip to Europe, not your "last" so if you miss anything this time around you can catch it next time. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -