Reload this Page >

First time traveller overseas needs some planning help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 02:09 PM
Chris H

Planning a two-three week trip in May of '01, and need some help planning some stuff out and some traveling tips. <BR> <BR>For example, travelling by train, fun stuff to do in London, cheap travel and stuff to do. <BR> <BR>Just about anything you have to share would be helpful. <BR>Thanks

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 02:19 PM
alan

Hi! Would like to help but where else are you think off except London? <BR> alan

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 02:37 PM
Chris H

London, Edinburgh, Manchester, Lands End, Stonehenge, Bath, Hatfield. <BR> <BR>Also, I can't seem to find anything online about sleeper trains. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Thyra

Chris, what are your primary interests? Are you a history buff, do you like cities or countryside? Are you all about meeting other people or clubbing? <BR>When my husband and I are in London, we go to pubs all over town, I run in Hyde Park, we stroll the Thames, eat Indian food. I love the Tower of London and have been there many times, but I still love going back. If you are on a tight budget, I recommend picking up "take-away" (to go) food at fast food restaurants then saving up all your money to see the sights.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 03:19 PM
BJ

1. I would definitely make it a 3 week trip (not 2) even though you are restricting yourself to England. There's never enough time to see and do all you want! &lt;grin&gt; <BR>2. I believe you would really benefit by buying a guidebook for the UK, or just one dedicated to England. Reading one will help you narrow your list as to 'must sees,' versus 'will see if I have the time.' Hopefully, you have a large book store where you live. My favorites for having the largest selection of travel guidebooks is: Barnes & Noble, then Borders. Plan on spending at least an hour looking through the various guidebooks so you can decide on the best one or two that fits you and your personality. <BR>3. Confine yourself to one carryon piece of luggage. That eliminates lots of problems. <BR>4. May is a good month (tho' not the warmest) for avoiding the summer travelling crowds. September is also a good month. <BR>5. In addition to all the helpful responses you will receive on this website, I suggest you visit another targeted at the budget traveller: <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:50 AM
Liz

Chris <BR> <BR>We don't have many sleeper trains in the UK any more. The Intercity trains travel at 125 mph (usually - at the moment we have emergency speed restrictions), so most journeys can be done in the day. For example, London to Manchester takes only 2 hours. London to Edinburgh takes 4.5 hours. <BR> <BR>You mentioned you're going to Cornwall -Great Western still run sleeper trains to Truro. They leave Paddington (London) at 23.50, and arrive at Truro at 07.19 (I'm not sure how often they run). For more information on train times, call Railtrack on 08457 48 49 50, (but be prepared to hold for a while). <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:26 AM
elaine

Hi Chris <BR>I have a London file that includes some information on Bath; if you'd like to see it, email me.