London, King's Cross Station

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Scott

London, King's Cross Station

Can anyone recommend, or point me to information, on a hotel nearby King's Cross Station? I have to catch an early train and would like to just roll out and walk to the station. Something fairly inexpensive would be great.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Jane

The Great Northern Hotel is next-door to the station - I've never stayed there, but it's owned by Best Western and is 3 stars. The London Ryan and Kings Cross Thistle are also just around the corner on Kings Cross Road.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 11:18 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I'm afraid it's not easy. The obvious hotel, next to the station, built by the railway company over a century ago for their passengers, is the Great Northern Hotel. But a single with bath and breakfast is 105 poounds a night.
Their phone is ++44 20 7837 5454, their fax is ++ 20 7278 5270, and their web site is http://www.compasshotel.co.uk.

So I think you might use http://www.co.uk and look up "Camden travel" and "Kings Cross hotels". The point of "Camden travel" is that it ought to give you the e-mail address of the Tourist Information Office of the London Borough of Camden, who will gladly tell you of cheaper hotels in the area. It's a fairly run-down area, but anything the Borough lists will be fine.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:43 AM
david west

Great Northern Hotel NO NO NO!!!
Hotel's fine but its in the middle of a horrible drug dealing, streetwalking area. Avoid at all costs.

Just down the road is the marriot, in a safe area and there is a travel inn opposite it. THe area that these are in is OK. I used to work in Kings Cross, hope this helps

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Lauren

Scott, I will be at King's Cross Ryan Hotel at the end of this year. I have found out from some on this board that it's not that bad of a place. I will find out soon enough. If you stay there, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 03:01 PM
patti

How far is the Kings Cross Station from the Travel Inn previously mentioned? We will be staying at the Travel Inn (County Hall) next summer and do NOT want to be near drug dealing, etc. as previously mentioned for Kings Cross but The Travel Inn was mentioned as "down the road". Is the Travel Inn area safe?
Thank you for any information.
Patti

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 03:14 PM
KT

Patti: The Travel Inns are a chain. The Travel Inn Euston is near King's Cross, but the Travel Inn County Hall is nowhere near there -- it's near Waterloo Station on the south bank of the Thames.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 11:22 PM
patti

KT-thanks for that info. I think I was thinking of Kings Cross instead of Charing Cross. I will be booking the Travel Inn because of the price and the location to the Waterloo Station.
Thanks again for setting me straight!
Patti

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 07:29 AM
dave michela

consider the holiday inn/king's cross -- it's not a walk, but a short cab ride to the station. my wife and i enjoyed our brief stay there a while back ..