Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to Spain/Portugal, any advice for us?

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Heaven only knows if this will get posted! We are off on a last minute trip to Spain and Portugal for our first time (leaving March 23). We got a great airfare on NW, good rental car deal, will fly into Madrid, out of Lisbon two weeks later. We have hotels already in Madrid, Estapona, Porto (where we need to be for few days at a special event) and Lisbon. We've done alot of research (unfortunately, could never get thru to this forum on a regular basis in the last 3 weeks we've been planning this trip), we <BR>know generally what we want to see and do (Toledo for sure, skip Gibralter and Morocco) and just wondering if you have last minute advice. Gracias in advance!

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 10:51 PM
Tonya

Hi, Cheryl. <BR>My husband and I live in southern Spain. Definitely plan to spend a few days in Andalucia. My vote for the quintessential Spanish city is Seville. While you're in this region, don't miss Grenada. Ronda offers a breath-taking vista, and I love Arcos de la Frontera from among the white towns. Jerez is a great side trip to taste the world's best sherry (and see how it's made). Have a wonderful trip -- the Spanish are such warm people. We love it here.

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 05:48 AM
Don and Linda

Hi Cheryl, We have an excellent Portugal travelogue on our non-commercial web site, TheTravelzine.com. Don&Linda <BR>http://thetravelzine.com

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 07:20 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Thank you, Tonya, I put those suggestions on my "must" list, and thank you, Don and Linda, you have a great web site for a vaiety of destinations. (I also frwarded it to some other friends traveling to Porto too.)

Old Mar 6th, 1999, 07:43 AM
steven

Some other cities to consider: Salamanca, Avila, Segovia, Merida (Roman <BR>ruins, great museum), Evora.

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 05:13 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Thank you Steven, I'm particularly interested in seeing the ruins. <BR>A last question regarding weather this time of year - I'm finding conflicting info: I either read it will be in 40-50's and chilly, or in the 70's and warm. Any info? Thanks

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 03:25 PM
Amy

Hi Cheryl, <BR>Just saw your message. I'm an American living in Portugal. FYI, the weather this week has been rainy and cold. But they say it should clear up. That doesn't mean that it won't start raining again next week though. Bring sweaters and an umbrella or raincoat. When in Lisbon don't miss a trip to Sintra (a short drive out of town or a very short train ride). In Lisbon see the Jeronimos Monastery, Belem Tower, Monument to the Discoveries, Coach Museum and the Ajuda Palace. These are all easy to see in a short time because they're all in the same area and within walking distance of each other. Do see the town of Evora- it's beautiful! Have fun and if you need further Portugal advice, feel freee to email me directly.

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 04:16 PM
Rosanne

My favorite city in Spain is Barcelona. The cathedral and the Segreta Familia are both a wonderful experience. Whilein Madrid, visit as many old churches as you can because each one is more beautiful thatn the one before. If you get a chance, any of the cities along the Mediteranean are fun but may not be really warm at this time of year. <BR> <BR>Have fun

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 04:43 AM
graziella

Hello Cheryl , we are also leaving on the 23 to Madrid, but sorry to say not same airline, then we shall visit - <BR>Guadalupe,Seville,Arcos,Ronda,Granada, Merida coming into Portugal at Evora and then going North towards Santiago de Compostela in Spain ( on the way visiting Portugal of course,) <BR>Did a lot of research , be most than happy to share it, ( also have read the good replies you got and taking advantage of them) if you feel like it send me a direct e mail...Buen viaje.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 04:34 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Thanks to all for your suggestions! I hope to have a good trip to report back, and look forward to reading about Graziella's trip too.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 10:06 AM
sam

hi cheryl, <BR>we spent 12 days in portugal last may, and the alentejo region was our favourite. evora and its environs were great. if within your budget, splurge on at least a night at the pousada de rainha santa isabel in estremoz (short distance from evora). you will get a low season rate (about $130 USD, if memory serves). if you can't stay there, at least have a meal in their restaurant. it's a converted 12th-century castle, and definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 08:25 PM
shawnna

make sure you go to Salamanca...a relatively quiet university town...but a wonderful place