first time to Paris/concert??

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Vicki

first time to Paris/concert??

I have been reading all of the great advice from everyone all morning. I can't wait. We leave next week. As my husband and I are planning our itinerary, we are wondering about the time to spend at each place. We have 4 1/2 days before going to The Netherlands and what to get everything in. Does it really take all day for Versailles? Is the Musee de l'Orangerie really closed??? It was one of my must sees for the Monets. <BR>I also became very excited about the concerts at St. Chapelle. I checked out the website for reservations, and there are none scheduled while we are there. Any other suggestions for concerts? My husband and I enjoy classical concerts. <BR>Thanks for all the great advice. I am so glad to have found this site before we left! <BR>Oh, one more thing, what to pack for mid April. Most have said rain, but the weather so far this month appears to be ok. <BR>Thank you!! <BR>Vicki

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 01:06 PM
elaine

Vicki <BR>For a treasure house of Monet paintings, the Musee Marmottan in Paris <BR>(plus of course the Orsay) can't be beat in my opinion. <BR>If you have any interest in my Paris sightseeing notes, feel free to email me. <BR> <BR>www.ticket-finders.com/ <BR>You'll see a calendar in English as to what operas, concerts, and ballets are being staged in Paris <BR> <BR>As for Paris weather, it's notoriously fickle. You could have pleasant temps and sunshine, or the constant rain and 45 degree F temps I once had in late May. Usual advice is take a light weight raincoat and a small umbrella, and layer underneath so you can take off your sweater if it gets warm. Unless it's summer, I usually take leather gloves also. <BR>enjoy your trip <BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Bob Brown

That AMP concert website is a fickle thing too. You will be there April 12 or thereabouts?? <BR>Check and make sure you have the right page on the AMP thing. I have stumbled over stuff from 6 months ago still floating around.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Bob Brown

That web site is a little mixed up right now. The only thing I could find is for the 15 of April at St. Julien-Le-Pauvre. <BR>Versailles might not take all day. <BR>I think it depends on how much you want to go around what is left open in the gardens after the storms of this winter. But if you go through the whole palace on two separate tours and then go down to the "cottages" well away from the main building -- those little places where the queen hid out to get away from the crowd of hangers-on -- then I can see it taking 6 hours or so, even more. <BR>We took 7 hours to go, tour, eat lunch, take photographs, look around the shops in the town itself, and return. <BR>I have heard that the Orangerie is closed for repairs and redo. The Water Lillies are there I think. But Musee Marmottan has a huge stash of Monet's paintings. It is a private museum well over to the west beyond the Trocadero.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 01:54 PM
elvira

Versailles is about 5 hours (get there when it opens so you're not crushed by the crowds). <BR> <BR>The l'Orangerie is open for special exhibits, and the Monets are a special exhibit - I think there are Renoirs, too. The Marmottan Museum is also all Monet, all the time. <BR> <BR>As for concerts, check <BR>http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_va.html

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Christina

That WEBSITE Ampconcerts is not run by Sainte-Chappelle; it's a private organization that gives concerts there and at other venues in Paris. There are other groups that give concerts at Ste-Chappelle (and others often have better programming IMO, including playing complete works, not just excerpts), and there are concerts there many nights. It appears from the listing I saw that there is one there on 4/13 and 4/14, just by a different group than the Ampconcerts organization. I'd recommend those at Salle Pleyel or the Theatre du Chatelet for the best concerts; they also have some good performers in the Louvre auditorium and at the Opera Garnier on some nights when there is no opera or ballet. Aside from the Paris Tourist Office site, the site www.leconcertographe.fr gives a complete calendar of classical music concerts in Paris and I believe gives program content, whereas the Paris tourist office site includes some more stuff but doesn't give programming. For the week of 4/10, I'd recommend the Orchestre de Paris in Salle Pleyel, directed by David Zinman doing the Barber Violin Concerto and a Brahms Serenade (he's the former director of the Baltimore Symphony known for his Barber) or the Orchestre National de France doing some Debussy orchestral works and Stravinsky's Firebird in the Theatre des Champs-Elysees (probably the one I'd choose just because it's the most French, you might as well hear something French there). A wonderful Norwegian pianist whom I heard in concert last month, Leif Andsnes, will be in the Louvre auditorium doing violin & piano chamber music on 4/12 evening, also. He is really a great pianist, known for his Schubert --he's doing a great romantic program of Dvorak & Schubert with some Bach and Bartok thrown in. Now those are serious concert events at major venues, probably costing US$15-50 a seat except the ones in Ste-Chappelle are usually more like $20. If you really just want to experience a concert in a pretty church, I'd go to Ste-Chappelle or the one at l'Eglise St-Julien le Pauvre on 4/15 that same Ampconcerts group is doing; it's a nice church, but not the same as Ste-Chappelle, obviously. Finally, there are many free or cheap concerts in Paris in various churches and other venues, so you could just play it by ear and no doubt find something nice without having to reserve tickets--there are usually more on Thurs-Sun than early in the week. Just look in a weekly entertainment guide like Pariscope when you get there to find them.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 03:38 PM
Bob Brown

For Christina: <BR>Those are great concerts. <BR>I would like to go, but I don't return to Paris until September. <BR>Would you please check that web site you gave us. www.leconcertographe.fr <BR> <BR>I tried it and got the response that it does not exist. I copied and pasted <BR>from your message.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>If you're in Paris next week before Wednesday then the site http://www.pariscope.fr, under nmusique classique, now shows you what's on. If not, then at your arrival airport, in the concourse, you can look for a news kiosk that sells "Pariscope", the weekly listings magazine. It's good reading on the journey into town. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 05:08 PM
moibelle

TO: Bob Brown- I too was interested in the new sight for concerts and,after several tries, came up with www.leconcertographe.com. Hope it works for you

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Bob Brown

For Moibelle. <BR>That UAL you state works. <BR>I bookmarked it right away. <BR>Thanks. If I wasn't going to a series in Atlanta, the farewell concerts by Yoel Levi, with Bruno Leonardo Gelber pianist and the ASO chorus, I would feel deprived. <BR>Levi coducted the Babi Yar Symphony the other night. Masterful.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 04:05 AM
francesca

Right now, the weather is colder than what we had in January and February. Bring a sweater! It's freezing!

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Caitlin

I returned from a week in Paris on Wednesday (4/5). It was getting colder and wetter just as we left, but it certainly may change. Don't expect much sun (we saw two half days' worth), but Paris is beautiful even under gray skies. Layering is a good idea. My boyfriend took a lined raincoat, and some days he actually wore t-shirt, turtleneck, and buttondown to be warm enough (but we were walking everywhere), and wished he'd brought gloves. The Musee de l'Orangerie is currently closed. The Musee d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris has their entire permanent collection closed, except for the Dufy and Matisse rooms, until later this month. <BR> <BR>Vicki, if you haven't seen it already, you should read the archived hosted forum on Paris from last month. You'll find tons of info and recommendations there from the Fodor's Paris editor and readers. Look on the forums page.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Vicki

Just want to say Merci! for all the great advice. It looks as if we will be able to catch a concert at St.Chapelle (Purcell and Handel or Vivaldi). <BR>One more week to go!! <BR>Vicki

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 08:48 PM
Silviu

Regarding Monet - It is worthwile to visit Monet's home at Giverny. There you can visit the home and gardens which inspired many of Monet's pictures. <BR>Giverny is a small town along the Seine, and is a 2 hours ride north-west of Paris, but the landscape along the Seine is marvelous and Monet's home is a must for Monet's lovers.